The Ballad of the scared man

The Ballad of the scared man

A Poem by Luke Ritta
"

A poem about a soldier.

"

 

The Ballad of the scared man

 

 

 

The soldier aims his riffle.

 

His cheeks glow red with the cold.

Dried Blood is splattered all over his uniform.

His boots are caked with mud.

The smell of wet grass and gunpowder engulf his senses.

His fingernails are long and dirty.

The soldier sucks in the cold morning air into his lungs.

He closes his tear stained left eye.

 

       The soldier squeezes the trigger.

 

© 2011 Luke Ritta


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I actually thought this was a tremendously well done piece. I love reading anything you write anyway so maybe I am just automatically in tune to say that this is brilliant but regardless it is ever so more true that you have a gift for weaving excellent poems.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A wonderful journey through the realms of imagery. A splendid read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Perfect.

Posted 12 Years Ago


So short but so powerful. One could only imagine what it feels like to have to kill another human being in war. You've portrayed this poor soldier's emotions well.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very well written. A beautiful tribute to a noble fighter.

Posted 12 Years Ago


u are the truth and the ink and the pen......WORD is BOND....

Posted 12 Years Ago


this is a really good poem
Remembrance day is soon and this goes really well with the day
love it :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


You brilliantly captured the image of a soldier in action here. The ragged appearance, the calculated shooting, everything was perfect. Not to mention, the way you ended it is perfect, the rifle's report sounded in my head upon reading the line. Great work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This piece speaks to the quite sadness we all feel about human existence, capturing the internal hell of war. There is a real sadness emanating throughout the collective human experience. I just got done reading interviews from people who experienced the bombing of Hiroshima first hand; it brings a real cold feeling to the soul. I couldn't even imagine what that hell was really like.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very vivid image of a soldier's burden. Although I expected a ballad to be much longer. But the power of this poem lies in its brevity.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Your words bring reality to the life of a soldier...and it isn't a good vision. Excellent poem!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1458 Views
41 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 28, 2011
Last Updated on October 28, 2011

Author

Luke Ritta
Luke Ritta

London, United Kingdom



About
Hi, I am 26 and from London. I love writing short stories, poems and novels. My writing is a bit like Jack Kerouac and Ernest Hemingway. I love reading classic Literature, from Tolstoy to Proust, I .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..