My Origin

My Origin

A Chapter by Sterling Long

In college I started a company with my brother. When we started it, we had a vision of building a place where people could gather to learn from others, build their business, and have a sense of community. We wanted to build a Landing Zone for equally inspired peers. We set out on our adventure and determined our first step was to make enough money to support others and bring them together. To truly build a community of like-minded strivers who serve each other to the best of their ability.

To this day, we still both have this vision, and we still both deeply desire it. In many ways, we built it. We had to scrounge, and push, and strive, but we brought together our favorite people and began working with them. It was one of the most fulfilling things I've ever done in my life.

Six years pass working at our company and I've learned and grown so much. I've graduated college as a mathematician. I'm building mobile apps, video games, smart contracts, and cryptocurrencies in my free time (Math degree comes in handy here). My brother and I had gathered an amazing group of friends that had built a software suite similar to SAP that connected million and billion dollar companies and spanned nations! For all of that I am incredibly grateful, but even with all of that I felt as if I had reached the cap on my growth. I was struggling to find a passion for the work I was doing. I needed change. I craved personal growth and learning. If I don't have that personal growth I feel lost and without purpose. It was time for me to launch out of the Landing Zone.

At this point in my life, I had dreamt of making instructional video games for almost 15 years and of teaching and serving at a higher degree and with greater influence for almost 6 years. While I was teaching my coworkers and helping them learn, I still wasn't teaching at the level I desired. I felt that I wasn't building my games at the speed I required of myself. I felt unfulfilled in the company I had started with my brother, and I was doing things on a daily basis that I had no desire to do. Without that passion or growth I felt I wasn't Congruent with my best self. In many ways, I felt caged. The company still needed me, but I was not passionate about our work, and for me, that passion is my lifeblood. I live for adventure, I live to be Fearless, I live to be Congruent.

I was also scared. I was terrified that my life was slipping through my fingers, while also terrified that if I leaped somewhere else I wouldn't make it and that our company would fail without my presence. I was terrified that I wasn't having the impact I was destined for, that I wasn't chasing my dreams with the full force of my spirit, that I wasn't hurling my Spear of Purpose into the lands of opportunity and chasing it down with abandon.

And the cherry on the cake: I didn't feel that I could look my Maker in the eyes and say "I fully pursued the purpose you inscribed in my soul and on my heart."

My conclusion was that, in spite of all of the wonderful things our company had built and the people we brought together, I was living in a cage of my own creation. It did not bring me the joy, connection, or passion that I wanted.

> I knew I needed to craft my own life, but I felt I didn't have the tools to do so.

Then, one week I was on a date with a girl who said something that lit a fire in my belly. She said "You know, in college, we spent so much time and money investing in ourselves. We just don't do that anymore."

That statement has changed my entire life.
That statement caused me to become Fearlessly Congruent.
Because of that statement, I built a one-year plan to launch myself from the Landing Zone, I found my wife, I faced and continue to face my fears with the full force of my soul, and I am now blessed to be more excited, joyful, and enthusiastic than I ever have been in my life.
I sincerely hope that you make the decision, right now, to invest more heavily in your own personal development. It's *time* to invest in yourself. It's *time* to make your leap, whatever that may be.


© 2023 Sterling Long


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

25 Views
Added on July 24, 2023
Last Updated on July 24, 2023


Author

Sterling Long
Sterling Long

Saratoga Springs, UT



About
Fearless, Loving, Joyful. Coach. Web3 and Game Developer. Writing Fearless Congruence. more..

Writing