FROM A DISTANCE

FROM A DISTANCE

A Story by LynnPenCakes
"

She always thought she had time... discover the ending in this compelling Jesus era story.

"

FROM A DISTANCE

 

I opened my eyes from where I lay, to look around, to find the day.  There was darkness and shadows, an unfamiliar place... The stench I am sure traveled for miles each way.  Knowing not where I was and feeling so alone, I closed my eyes to drift back to my home.

 

In a distance I heard my brothers as they talked, "He's a man", they said "that does miracles without even the touch of his hand!". I wondered about all the things they did say, but somehow I felt I had time to live my own way.  They called to me, "Come sister and sit with us tonight, as we go unto this man to hear his words of true life".  But excuses I had plenty of why not to go, the washing, the sewing the cooking and the chores... I went not out but stayed home that night... Had I known what I know now, I would have gone for the sight.

 

As I worked and worked to clean and toil there came a rumbling deep and spilling of soil.  Unable to move as the heaviness penned me in, soon my breath was gone and my eyesight was dim.  I knew I was dying, yet knew not what to do... I breathed my last breath, thinking my life was through. 

 

"She was a good person" I heard them say, "much to young to have died that way."  A freak accident had brought me ruin that day, a shed had rotted and dried, collasping away.  On that perilous of all days for me now did prove, as I lay still and unbreathing all covered in ruin. 

As I looked down upon my grave, I read my name and saw the date.  "She cared and she was busy, she gave and she worked"... but no where did one say she knew life at it's worth.  I now knew in my heart, I had died that day, as the shed gave way and trapped me in broken wood, earth and decay.

 

Once again I became aware of my present state, I could now sense the darkness, so dreary and great, the stench was magnified time and again as I soon realized this was the smell of sin...I knew in my heart I had waited too long for this was my reward and  there was no escape home. 

I heard wailing and crying and curses shouted forth, I sensed evil as I had never before.  I felt pain entrench me and smother all hope, it seemed to laugh at me, it's new joke... This then must be what we receive when we die... I thought to myself as I began to cry.

 

My days turned to night, then back again to day... for me there was no end to this death where I stayed.  I longed for a soul to plead escape from this place but only more darkness, more stench, more disgrace.

 

Then from a distance came shouts that were heard... the demons were talking and yelling such words... They said "He's not dead but rose from the grave... we had chained him and bound him, yet he's gotten away".  They seemed to make excuses to one that appeared mighty, who seemed sorely displeased they'd been so untidy.  As they argued and bickered, hit and they spat, biting and scratching each other about.  Suddenly they stopped and seemed frozen in fear as I looked past them far, far away a small light did appear.  From a distance it was tiny, it was so very small... but slowly it keep coming until it filled this great hall.

Well, those demons, they scattered, dropping keys and chains, as the Holy One appeared and called out my name,  He said, "Daughter, I am Jesus, I came for your sin, to pay your price and to lead you in.  If you but accept this thing that I've done, repent now and call out to the Father of Love. Your admittance is free, for I have seen to it, I show these marks and holes to prove it.  I hung on a tree, I took all of your sins, I washed you clean and you are born again.  I overcame death and sent hell on it's way... I speak to you clearly now...for you decided your way".

 

Well joy of all joys, I could now stand and move, I was free and blameless, His presence I pursued.  He was leading us all, as scripture proved true, Captivity led captive, making an open show.  For those of us who accepted and asked for His grace, His saving and forgiveness, He showed us our place.  We walked with Him from that place called hell, to wonders of all wonders, a heaven bound trail.

 

With a smile upon His face, He wrapped me in his warm embrace, wiped my face of tears and gave me a sparkling gown to wear.

I watched as many like me, were set free in that place, it was my day of glory, my day of grace.  I now serve the Lord as I wait for my brethren... for soon, He tells me, dinner will be served.

From a distance we see through a glass darkly, but soon He says, we shall know even also as we are known...

© 2008 LynnPenCakes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on August 1, 2008

Author

LynnPenCakes
LynnPenCakes

Hill Country of Texas, TX



About
I am here to practice and improve upon the skill of writing. I like to think that what ends up as words within a story or poem originated deep within my heart as a message that brings comfort, joy or.. more..

Writing