What to Wear When Your Sister is Marrying a Corpse (revised)

What to Wear When Your Sister is Marrying a Corpse (revised)

A Story by Lyra
"

Short story about getting some surprise news

"

What to Wear When Your Sister is Marrying a Corpse


"I'm getting married!" Clarissa squealed as I slid onto the plum colored vinyl of the booth across from her.


“What!” I yelped, and the vinyl made a soft thud and squeak as I sat down faster than I had intended. 


She had called me this morning, demanding I meet with her right now at Dolly’s Cafe downtown. It was an hour long bus ride from my side of the world to downtown, but my sister refused to change the time, the place, or reveal anything over the phone, just insisting that it was urgent we meet immediately. 


I had wanted to say no and slam the end call button, but knew that if I did there would be a tearful phone call from my mother that night and I would have to listen for hours as she sobbed over how I didn’t love my little sister anymore. Or worse there would be a visit from her and dad. She would cry pitifully and dad would give me his disapproving stare and nod at the correct intervals. I didn’t have enough tissues in my house to deal with that situation. 


So here I was at Dolly’s, an establishment that was so very my sister’s taste. The day glow pink neon sign proclaiming the name in elaborately curlicued letters was plastered above the windows, taking up the entire width of the store front. The sidewalk outside the door was filled with enough flowers to make passing by a hazard for absent minded pedestrians and I had needed to edge past an aggressive selection of daisies perched precariously on a plinth to get into the dining room. 

 

I emerged into the dining room and while few tables were occupied the place was mostly empty, which I would have expected at two o’clock on a Tuesday afternoon. My sister, sitting in a booth by the massive window waved both hands above her head in her overly enthusiastic ‘Pick me! Pick me!’ dance, as if the cafe was monstrously overcrowded and only through monumental effort would I be able to spot her. 


I was still getting settled and she was doing the happy puppy squirm when she dropped her momentous statement on me. She looked at me expectantly while I tried to think. Her soft, heart shaped face had a natural glow that only comes from makeup so thick it has to be smeared on with a trowel. A delicate pink trowel with rhinestones on the handle, knowing my sister. 

 

I stared at that prettily made up face in shock and she giggled at my stunned reaction. Struggling to recover I grasped at the closest words that seemed relevant. "Really, I didn't even know you were dating someone," I said weakly. I tried for a supportive smile, but I only managed sickly.


She beamed at me, "I know," her cornflower blue eyes twinkled as if it were some marvelous joke. "I wanted to keep it private until I knew I had met my soul mate."


I struggled not to roll my eyes, I knew there was no way discussing the topic of soul mates could end with anything other than an explosive argument followed by my sister storming off in tears so I steered the conversation back to something more relevant.


"So what's he like?" I asked, trying to think of an inoffensive opening question. "Have I met him before? Did you take him to meet our parents yet?"


Before she could answer a teenaged waitress with a bouncy ponytail approached our table with a vivacity that I could only envy to take my drink order. I waited for the girl to ask Clarissa, but she trotted off after my answer so I assumed Clarissa must have ordered just before I got there. 


My sister still hadn’t answered and while I waited for her to pick her words I let my gaze wander over the place. A third of the interior was taken up by with three booths along the outer wall and a couple of chintzy table and chair sets that looked like an afterthought. The rest of the space was filled with an enormous, impressively stocked bar that struck me as unexpected in an eatery advertised as a cafe. Suddenly the reason my sister had picked this place became more apparent and I did a quick mental check of my bank account. Day drinking with my sister was always an event not for the faint of heart. Or light of pocket.


I followed the line of the bar, reading over some of the more expensive labels and wincing until I reached its end, where our waitress was now standing with an older woman who seemed to be explaining something about the cash register. They both wore the same uniform, but where the gold and red looked bright and cheerful on the teen the older woman looked like a renegade fast food worker fresh from parole. 


Returning my attention to our table I was about to press Clarissa for an answer when she finally replied, "Oh, I wouldn't think you’d know him.” She waved her hands airily as if the notion of introducing her fiancé to her family was an annoying fly that she could shoo away. "He's the night manager at that McDonald's over on third." She said, her blue eyes suddenly driving into mine. Her fluttering hands struck while I was distracted and she grabbed my hands in a limpet like grip, trying to drive her sincerity into me through sheer force of contact. "He's ever so kind and smart and handsome!" She said, her smile so wide that my own cheeks ached in sympathy. 


I also noticed she had avoided the question about our parents, which was odd. Usually she could do no wrong in their eyes. I surreptitiously tried to free my hands, but she clung with a determination seen only in terriers and toddlers. "He sounds great," I said distractedly. "I can't wait to meet him."


"Oh, you'll meet him before the wedding," she said brightly.


I was too caught up in trying to free myself from her now uncomfortably tight grip to really hear what that tone of voice was telling me. "When is the wedding?" I asked, more for something to say.


Just as I escaped her grasp she answered my question, "Tomorrow," she sighed dreamily, her face alight with the thought of pretty dresses and being the center of attention for an entire day.


In my frantic efforts to free myself I had knocked the dessert menu with its tempting list of distressingly humorous drink names off the table and out the window. Apparently when picking the furnishings for this establishment they had spent the money for window glass on the bar. 


My eyes drawn were drawn to the fluttering paper, it’s escape into the street had revealed neatly stacked plates and three wine glasses. Apparently Clarissa had taken advantage of my long bus ride to get a head start on the meal. Again. I recalculated the number in my bank account. If it was three different wines then they couldn’t all be the most expensive. I might be able to cover it. Then her words hit me, jolting me away from the numbers dancing in my head.


"What!" I hollered almost at the top of my voice, all of the tension from the previous conversation coming out in that single word. Everyone in the restaurant turned to stare at me. My sister's face went from pumpkin grin to box of dead kittens.


*This is your sister and you love her,* I reminded myself, repeating the thought over and over until I felt able to speak coherently. “That’s… just… so soon…” I gabbled.


Her bright cheer tried to reassert itself, but didn’t quite manage it. “Oh, yeah, well. You know how it is.”


I didn’t. 


I ran my hands through my hair and I scrambled to come up with an escape. My darting gaze caught sight of the two waitresses watching our conversation and saw the younger one cover her mouth as she whispered something in the older one’s ear. Well that could not be good. My sister cleared her throat pointedly, redirecting my attention to her.


“You guys must have been dating a while then,” I tried, reaching deep into my brain for some sitcom dialogue to fill in this train wreck of a conversation.


She let out a particularly saccharine sigh. “Almost two, whole weeks,” she gushed, her eyes full of romance. “It’s all been such a whirlwind! He says at his age he doesn’t want to waste a moment!”


I almost missed the last sentence since I was trying to wrap my brain around the first part. “Two week? Two weeks!?” To be fair, it was longer than any of her other relationships had lasted and the girl had been in dozens. “Wait, how old is this guy?”


“He looks about 27,” she hedged. 


One word stood out to me. “Looks? How old is he really?”


She tried to look shifty. She tried so hard, but she had the acting skills of a wet dishrag and instead of sly she looked as if she couldn’t remember if she’s left the oven on. “We, um, never really talked about it… but I think he’s like… 300? Maybe 350?”


“I think my ears stopped working for a moment. Did you say 300? As in three zero zero?”


“I mean, unless it’s 350. I wasn’t really listening. He has these eyes, they are so dreamy!” 


“Yes, Clarissa, most people have eyes. What they don’t have is triple digit birthdays! What exactly are you marrying?”


“Didn’t I tell you? He’s a vampire! One of the super sexy ones, you know, like those sparkly books.”


Again, I did not know. My sister vastly overestimated my knowledge of pop culture.


“You cannot marry a vampire!” I shouted, the words leaving my mouth before I had a chance to fully think them through. Sadly, not an unusual occurrence for me. 


At my outburst not only did the people in the restaurant look at me, several people in the street stopped. A few even came over to the window to watch the show, shuffling for space amid the unruly flower display. Everyone loves a free performance, but I was too worked up to truly pay attention the people gawking at us.


Clarissa as a minor actress on the other hand, was excellent at playing the crowd and gave me her patented tragic look. The expression gave the impression that I had just revealed that not only was Santa not real, but the Easter bunny didn’t actually lay Easter eggs, and Cupid was a Greek God not a chubby baby with a bow. 


Her mouth wobbled and her eyes teared up, “I can marry whoever I want! You’re not the boss of me!”


I opened my mouth to argue and shut it again. There’s not a lot of comebacks for that which would make me sound like the rational adult in this situation. 


I tried desperately to think of a way to explain myself, that it was the length of the relationship and my sister’s tragically bad taste in men that concerned me, but before I could even start Clarissa stepped out of the booth and stood, her posture straight and offended. 


“You can come if you want, but not if you are going to be mean about it. Oh, and wear something with a high collar. Teddy is inviting his family and I don’t want them to get the wrong idea.” 


With that parting line she picked up her tiny, designer purse and stalked out of the restaurant like she had smelled something rotten. Her heels clicked on the black and white checked floor, each sounding to me like a short, sharp declaration of war.


“Damn. Damndamndamn,” I muttered, my head sinking into my hands. There was definitely going to be a visit from my parents after this.


From the corner of my eye I saw a small brown hand push the lost drinks menu back onto the table. “Thanks,” I said, but there was no response and when I looked up the people who had been drawn by my outburst had wandered off.


The teen waitress stalked over to the table, no longer bouncy or cheerful. She slammed the plastic check holder onto the table. I looked up at her, startled, and she snapped her gum in my face. “My best friend married a vampire and they are VERY happy,” she said with a bite of accusation in her voice.


“Good for them,” I said, trying not to make eye contact. 


Somehow this always happened. Whenever Clarissa and I got together I always ended up the bad guy. I looked at the bill. Three glasses of different wines on top of the most expensive items on the menu. And she had conveniently forgotten to leave any money to pay for herself so I ended up paying for everything. And I still hadn’t gotten my drink.


Damnit. Some days I would have given good money to be an orphan.  

© 2023 Lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have to say off the bat that this is a brilliant premise! It's humorous, intriguing, and for the most part keeps readers going right to the punch at the very end. If I may be so bold, however, you're a tad lacking in your construction and progression. You've lain out a scenario the likes of which would be filmed in the foreground but you've left out all - or rather the majority - of the background necessities that give a story life.
Story starts in "in medias res" which is awesome, and we learn that our protagonist just sit down as the announcement was made. Yet you proceed to say that the protagonist jaw drops "at that point". There's a beat missing. The act of sitting down requires a little orientation before being fully present in the scene and getting bombarded with news while in the act of sitting is gonna be a smack in the face, like "whoa, sis! Did I just hear you correctly? You're getting married!? - That's right - *jaw drops*". You can also take the moment then to describe the diner: like the first waitress, which we never see - we're only told there was a first because a "different one" came with the check to deliver the funniest line in the story - giving her stakes and purpose to be the one to bring the check instead of the first, who we should see for comparison, would be great for the arc of the story. You neither say whether they're in a booth or other, which is pretty important - we only infer that when the people look in from the window, which isn't specified until a way's down (and that part was wtf to me as why was she being so nonchalant at having an audience? The "free performance" was funny - it would be even funnier if she's a struggling actress and the only times people see her perform is during the luncheons with her sister - but why would she be nonchalant? Unless she is a struggling actress and there's irony in this, show that. Add stakes to the humour).
Also, I don't particularly recall knowing who's the older of the two. There's an argument that Clarissa is the younger, but she may also be the older - this would be good information (adds to the character development).
Careful with using the same word in close proximity (you use "manage" a lot, for instance - twice between two individual lines - and probably a little too much).
Don't be afraid to show the beats: some progressions like the "surreptitiously trying to remove the hands", the "trying to look shifty" - the former, for instance, has an implication that she succeeded as we never get the sense that Clarissa kept her grip until two lines down when she does succeed in releasing her hands. We need the whole picture, not just movie snaps (writing is painting the whole scene with words, and a picture is worth a thousand, as the saying goes); the latter repeats the "she tried" in the next sentence, which is redundant (kind of works, I can see what you were going for, but you could easily just start with "so hard" and it would make just as much sense and sound better). Flow with the sentences and the story will flow as a result.
Lastly, orphan means no parents - "only child" is the word you were looking for.

Hope this gives some food for thought as to how to edit this. Because, I mean what I said: it's a brilliant premise, you're just missing a few factors to really embolden the story; to really allow it to breathe! Great start! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

emipoemi

9 Months Ago

Ok, this has a much better structure to advise and maneuver. You are correct that you missed a few t.. read more
Lyra

9 Months Ago

Ok, try number 3. I’m still not sure the beats are completely right. I think I addressed most thin.. read more
emipoemi

9 Months Ago

So, let me rephrase what my intended meaning in the last comment: it wasn't what you were saying, it.. read more



Reviews

I have to say off the bat that this is a brilliant premise! It's humorous, intriguing, and for the most part keeps readers going right to the punch at the very end. If I may be so bold, however, you're a tad lacking in your construction and progression. You've lain out a scenario the likes of which would be filmed in the foreground but you've left out all - or rather the majority - of the background necessities that give a story life.
Story starts in "in medias res" which is awesome, and we learn that our protagonist just sit down as the announcement was made. Yet you proceed to say that the protagonist jaw drops "at that point". There's a beat missing. The act of sitting down requires a little orientation before being fully present in the scene and getting bombarded with news while in the act of sitting is gonna be a smack in the face, like "whoa, sis! Did I just hear you correctly? You're getting married!? - That's right - *jaw drops*". You can also take the moment then to describe the diner: like the first waitress, which we never see - we're only told there was a first because a "different one" came with the check to deliver the funniest line in the story - giving her stakes and purpose to be the one to bring the check instead of the first, who we should see for comparison, would be great for the arc of the story. You neither say whether they're in a booth or other, which is pretty important - we only infer that when the people look in from the window, which isn't specified until a way's down (and that part was wtf to me as why was she being so nonchalant at having an audience? The "free performance" was funny - it would be even funnier if she's a struggling actress and the only times people see her perform is during the luncheons with her sister - but why would she be nonchalant? Unless she is a struggling actress and there's irony in this, show that. Add stakes to the humour).
Also, I don't particularly recall knowing who's the older of the two. There's an argument that Clarissa is the younger, but she may also be the older - this would be good information (adds to the character development).
Careful with using the same word in close proximity (you use "manage" a lot, for instance - twice between two individual lines - and probably a little too much).
Don't be afraid to show the beats: some progressions like the "surreptitiously trying to remove the hands", the "trying to look shifty" - the former, for instance, has an implication that she succeeded as we never get the sense that Clarissa kept her grip until two lines down when she does succeed in releasing her hands. We need the whole picture, not just movie snaps (writing is painting the whole scene with words, and a picture is worth a thousand, as the saying goes); the latter repeats the "she tried" in the next sentence, which is redundant (kind of works, I can see what you were going for, but you could easily just start with "so hard" and it would make just as much sense and sound better). Flow with the sentences and the story will flow as a result.
Lastly, orphan means no parents - "only child" is the word you were looking for.

Hope this gives some food for thought as to how to edit this. Because, I mean what I said: it's a brilliant premise, you're just missing a few factors to really embolden the story; to really allow it to breathe! Great start! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

emipoemi

9 Months Ago

Ok, this has a much better structure to advise and maneuver. You are correct that you missed a few t.. read more
Lyra

9 Months Ago

Ok, try number 3. I’m still not sure the beats are completely right. I think I addressed most thin.. read more
emipoemi

9 Months Ago

So, let me rephrase what my intended meaning in the last comment: it wasn't what you were saying, it.. read more
This was a fun read. Good job!

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lyra

11 Months Ago

Thank you for the review! I really appreciate it!
Entertaining, quick read. Did not expect the vampire part, but you made it work.

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 20, 2023
Last Updated on August 20, 2023
Tags: Urban Fantasy, humor

Author

Lyra
Lyra

About
I am a mining engineer/geologist who writes fantasy and fiction for fun, so if you are looking for geologic details to add to your story I am always game. I mostly write fantasy and fiction becaus.. more..

Writing
Part 1, Chapter 1 Part 1, Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 2 Part 1, Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lyra


Part 1, Chapter 3 Part 1, Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lyra