Dream

Dream

A Chapter by Jordyn A. Ruhter

No matter how fast Makenzie ran, the forest never ceased. The trees continued to converge on either side of her, making it impossible to go any direction but forward. She knew she could stop or turn around but then that would place her in the hands of those she was so desperatly trying to escape from.

When Makenzie thought she was far enough from those that where chasing her to take a short break, her ankle caught on an exposed tree root. She fought to remain upright and silent at the same time but failed.

As Makenzie fell, she heard a nauseating snap and knew instantly what had happened. Her ankle had broken and in a few seconds she would feel the pain.

She lay spewn on the forest mast, the pain of her ankle consuming her logic. Makenzie let out an earsplitting scream. She began to sob, her hands trying to brace her ankle and prevent more pain from taking over her.

Makenzie's crying broke the second she heard movement nearby. Her chasers were closer than she had first thought and now they had her. She looked up helplessly as the first of her chasers came into view.

The person was was cloaked in forest green with a hood covering their face. A bare silver sword lay in their palm. Makenzie grew more and more frightened of the sword with each step that was taken by the cloaked person.

The figure finally stood over the terrified girl. Makenzie saw silver flash up. As the sword was being brought down, the ground began the tremble. She left out another horrified scream and opened eyes that had somehow shut themselves.

This scene was different. It took Makenzie a minute to figure out why it felt so safe. It was her own bedroom. The light was on yet there was a shadow on her face.

"Makenzie hun," her father paused, making sure she was awake. "Are you alright?" She looked up into her father's whiskered face. His green eyes were filled with worry.

Makenzie swallowed before replying, "It was that dream again, only they got closer. The sword was on its way down."

Her father straightened and nearly swore. "Fifth time in a row," he said instead. "Think you'll be OK if I leave?"

"I'll be fine Dad, go back to sleep," she assured him. He hesitantly left her bedside, turned the light off, and walked out the door he had thrown open, shutting it behind him as he walked out.

Without looking at her alarm clock, Makenzie knew it was midnight. This dream had been happening for nearly two monthes. Generally it ould happen two or three times a week. It seemed that now that her 16th birthday was this weekend, the dream was happening every night. The cloaked killer would get a few steps closer to her every time and now he was slashing his sword at her.

Makenzie relaxed and closed her eyes, praying for a peaceful sleep.

After a few minutes of silence, Makenzie was nearly asleep. Suddenly, a tree branch started to scrape against her window. She quietly listened to it without opening her eyes.

As she began to drift towards unconsiousness, a few thoughts popped into her mind and she was no longer tired.

There were three things wrong with the scraping. One, her bedroom was on the first floor. Two, there wasn't even a chinook blowing outside. Finally, there was no tree outside her window.


© 2008 Jordyn A. Ruhter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I came here through Yahoo Answers, and have a profile on here as well! I loved your story, it is so amazing how you painted pictures in my mind with your words! I almost felt like the poor girl! Keep it up, and please don't hesitate to check out my work!

Posted 15 Years Ago


I would really appritiate it if my readers would tell me what they thought. I run on a fan based system meaning the more fans I get, the more I will write. So if you enjoyed this or didn't enjoy this, let me know with a review!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

438 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 2, 2008


Author

Jordyn A. Ruhter
Jordyn A. Ruhter

ID



About
I am different and I openly admit it. Why be like everyone else; a zombie in which our opinions are nothing but dust in the wind? Where our differences are ridiculed until the invinsible force that is.. more..

Writing