The One Least Expected

The One Least Expected

A Story by MC Blodeuwedd
"

A REAL life Romance that has been published via blurb.com. For my love, Robin.

"

The One

Least Expected

 

Written by Heather Morric Helm                

   For Robin R. Bruce Jr.

 

 I may have never guessed you would be my "one" but I am so thankful and so full of joy every day when I wake up to find you lying with me.  I never stop thinking how lucky we both are that things changed in our favor, that we changed and that our love was able to grow into a healthy relationship. To you from me, heart to heart.

How we met

the Navy.  This friend, Kevin, chose to celebrate by having a limo pick him and nine of his friends up from his home, take them to Worlds of Fun, and then take them back to his home for more video gaming.  I was the ONLY female invited, but this did not intimidate me one bit.  In fact, being the type of girl that I was  at that age (seeking flirtatious attention, and lots of it) it probably encouraged me to attend.

                I met Kevin through a friend of a friend the summer of 1999. My neighbor and I babysat for another neighbor and she was dating a friend of Kevin's- Dallas. The people we babysat for practically encourage us to invite boys over so this neighbor of mine- Liz- took advantage and thought she would be so kind as to have Dallas bring me not one but two potential dates for myself. And this is how I met both Dan and Kevin.  Originally the fiery red hair of Dan caught my attention first; That, and his bold flirtatious nature. However, after he spoke for just a few minutes I decided he was a little too bold and, well, full of himself, so I moved my attentions to the sweet quiet Kevin. Kevin and I hit it off pretty well and unofficially dated for most of the summer, but when school started I fell in love with another old flame- Christopher B.

                Chris and I dated for almost an entire year in 2000, and we were very much in love for a pair of 15 year olds. We  honestly believed we would marry after high school. Of course, as most first loves go, things didn't go as planned. After Chris, I unofficially dated just about anyone who showed me attention and I learned to enjoy being single.

                And now back to the time  I met the man who would mean the world to me years later.  It was July of 2002. I was single and loving the affectionate attention of flirting from whomever I can get it.

                I really only knew two guys in the limo- Kevin and Dallas. I had met Kevin's younger brother, Eddie before and he was there but I didn't really know him. On the way to Worlds of Fun most of the boys were already fighting over who would ride with me on what ride. I was already making plans and empty promises for the day. There were two other guys who chose to stay out of that fight the entire time at the theme park, even when I tried to drag them into it a little. I would ride one or two rides with each of them- Sam and Robin. And I even got to ride a little with Eddie, who I think mostly opted out of the flirting because his older brother and I had dated. But with all the attention and silly arguments  about who'd ride with me on what, I was very observant to the crowd.

                It was a fun filled day with all the rides and, of course, all the attention. There was  a spectacular moment when those three shy guys helped me out by hunting down some feminine products (the bathrooms were all out  when my cycle started unexpectedly while we were at the park!). However, the day was not over yet. It was time to return to the limo and we all ran to the parking lot in a rush. Well, almost all of us.  As we were about to pull out I realized one of the group members weren't there. "Wait! Aren't we missing someone? That kind of strange and quiet guy?" "Robin!"

                Understandably, Robin was not happy that he was almost left behind and yet no one seemed to apologize or try to console him about it. Or if they did, it was not doing any good. I recall Robin ripping the eyeballs off of a stuffed caterpillar he had won from one of the games.  I decided that he definitely had some mental/emotional problems that were not being addressed. With my interest in psychology and my want to help everyone (which has gotten me in trouble many times) I took it upon myself to talk to him when we returned to Kevin's.

                Back at Kevin's, the boys were all playing video games again but Robin walked outside to cool off. I decided that this was the best time to approach him. He was rather reserved but he talked to me a little and didn't send me away. I managed to be able to give him my phone number and tell him to call me anytime he just needed someone to talk to.  I could tell he didn't have many friends and certainly no one close whom he could confide in.

                Low and behold, Robin  actually did call me. That in itself was an amazing feat, as shy as he was. So we talked and I continued to help him. We became friends and our calls got more and more frequent. We even started hanging out rather often, despite that I was dating a very close friend who I knew for a few years- Manny.

________________________________________________________________________

Feb 11 2003

From August 2002 to December 2002, life was a little confusing. Though, truly, my life was always a bit messy in high school.

                At this time, I was 16 with a drivers license and so I loved to go out any chance I had. As I mentioned previously, I was still dating my "BFF" Manny at this time.  Manny has always pieced me back together after every break up or mistake, from my freshman year on. In fact, he is still there to mend me even after all these years and everything  we've gone through and seen each other go through.

                Sadly, I was never a very faithful girlfriend in high school. I was young and social.  I enjoyed attention and liked to have fun.  But I did still feel bad when I cheated on my boyfriends. I felt especially terrible when I betrayed Manny after he helped to fix my heart when my first true love broke it.

                I loved Manny, but more as my best friend then as a boyfriend. We didn't want the same things at that time and I felt like Manny was holding me back from life. He was socially awkward and just wanted to stay in to cuddle to movies all night every night. I wanted to go out and party. I know he was only trying to care for me, but I just wasn't ready to 'settle down' at 16! I felt like there was too much to life to just stay in all the time.  Like any other teen, I just wanted to experience it all.

                Somehow, Robin came to confide in me. Though he just met me, he believed I could help him and he called me. We began to hang out together often.                            

                Robin was 17 and he didn't have a car , so I would drive to pick him up at his mom's apartment and we would go to a park nearby.  We would sit by the creek and talk, hidden away from people in some brush because Robin was anti-social and I wanted him to feel comfortable.  He told me all about his past, how a bully in elementary school had really affected him, and how his anger issues developed.  He talked to me about how he always felt like the forgotten child and struggled with his parents divorce and the attention and privilege his sister got. 

                We talked endlessly and I would comfort him by showing him compassion.  I would put my hand on his shoulder, or sometimes his leg, to let him know I was there for him. He knew I understood him ad that I cared. As time passed,we would hug and hold hands. 

                I tried to convince everyone that Robin and I loved each other more like brother and sister and that was why we were hanging out so much. I even set Robin up with a friend, hoping it would make the temptation go away. But, I could never keep from following my heart. 

                Robin and I were obviously flirting with one another and there was no hiding it no matter how much we tried.  There were even some awkward moments when I would have Robin come hang out with Manny and me. 

                Our first kiss, in fact, happened in Manny's bedroom. Robin admitted he hadn't ever kissed a girl before and so I asked Manny if I could kiss him, just for laughs, so Robin could have the experience over with.  That kiss was simple- a small soft touch of our lips- but it was enough to make me want more.

               

                After we left Manny's, while waiting on Robin's mom to come get him, I kissed Robin again on my front porch.  I said to him that he was a natural good kisser, and it is something I still believe to this day no matter how he may deny it.  When he kisses with passion and love, he makes the whole world melt away.

                At the end of 2002, I pretty much forced Manny to leave me by purposely cheating on him with Robin.  Robin put up a great resistance and we didn't go all the way but I went far enough to upset Manny. I hate how I didn't have the courage or heart to  just break up with Manny- how I felt like I had to make him leave me, but in the end we both know it was me who left him.

                Robin and I continued to become closer and we started dating in secret.  We decided to finally make it official just in time for Valentine's Day. Feb 11 2003 we 'officially' became girlfriend and boyfriend.

__________________________________________________________________________

Some of the

Most

Romantic Moments

of my Life

A journal entry directed to Robin  4/30/2003

...

                I want to run away from here with you (Robin) so badly..  just get away from everything... go to where no one knows us.. why do you think I want Ireland so badly? And the cave? Because then no one can bother us anymore... no one can get these visions in our heads.. These awful lies about hurt we cause each other... the reminders of all the pain... I want us... I like it when we are alone together..just able to cuddle and hold each other.. when you tell me how beautiful I am and caress me ever so lovingly.. when I cherish you and tell you the magnificent creature I see when looking at you... the true beauty.. the way that we see past each others flaws... the way you hold me and rock me back and forth and hum or sing to me that sweet little song you made just for me... the way that you always know just what to do to help me and heal me... the moments when I can hold you and stroke your hair, scratch behind your ears, whisper to you how much I love you and the reasons why... the sweet things we say to one another at night with our last phone call before going to bed... the way we can talk for hours or even sit on the phone in silence but still not want to hang up... how you remind me of the god I once honored and loved and the way you make me feel like the goddess I once was.... just the sweet little things between you and me that no one really sees or knows or can ever understand. I just wish we could have that always... WHY CANT WE RUN AWAY FROM THIS PAIN? Together... just leave this world behind.. with all their cruel realities.. Sigh... I know.. I cant... but I want to so badly... But only if you come too.

...

               

A journal entry from 5/3/2003,  "The PERFECT Night"

...

                We came home from South's prom last night and he was kicking me out of my room for a surprise that he had planned. So he set up my room while I changed into my Victoria Secrets silk slip, and when he  emerged from the darkness of my room he suggested a movie. He put on 'Queen of the Damned' while I got out the wine, and he brought out the candied rose petals he handmade me for dessert. We each had about 2 half glasses of wine and  a couple rose petals (they were REALLY damn sweet... but good).  He lay his head in my lap while I was slowly finishing my last glass of wine and then I lye down with him on the couch.

                The movie kept skipping so we decided to turn it off and then he gave me a backrub on the couch and it felt damn good. I was in heaven. Then he turned me over and we kissed, softly and sweetly but also passionately all at once. Then he rose up off me, took my hand and slowly pulled me up, leading me into my room.

                     He opened my bedroom door and there was Mozart music playing, my cat candle lit to light my room, and best of all... ROSE PETALS ON MY BED! It was so romantic I wanted to cry of happiness!!!! So we slow danced to a song or two and then he gently laid me on my bed... He kissed me from head to toe (yes clothes are still on at this moment) and just worshipped my body, with light caressing and kissing everywhere, for at least 30 minutes.

                Clothes came off slowly in the process and Ill leave the rest of the details up in the air. It was the sweetest most romantic thing ever .and it made me feel like it was my first time. I wish my first time was like that...sigh..but who doesn't wish that?   We both slept well in each others arms and awoke to a beautiful slightly gray day.

...

 

                     Yes, we had some very romantic times together in 2003.  But we had some rough patches as well.

Robin joined the Navy when he graduated in 2003. When he was dismissed from boot camp due to seizures, my mother and I opted to take him in our home and he lived with us. However, it was at this time that things worsened between us.

 

Every Rose

has its Thorns

In all honesty, our relationship in 2003 was probably one of the worst relationships ever with how it ended. You see that we had some beautiful moments, but believe it or not we also brought out the absolute worst in each other somehow.

                Robin and I were both battling personal issues at the time.  We both had anger issues that were unresolved (as most teens will) and we had moments of low self-esteem and self-loathing.  In the beginning we were able to help each other, but after a while we were both so drained that we just couldn't take it anymore. We didn't have the energy to help each other and felt like we  were never allowed to help ourselves.

                Robin and I are both empaths as well and we're especially sensitive around each other. We were then and we still are now, only now we are more aware of it and try hard to control our moods in order to positively influence one another.  Back then we were not so aware of it.

                We  had some pretty intense fights. Unfortunately, we even got abusive with one another.  Most of the abuse was mental and emotional but there were physical altercations as well.   I even began to see a psychologist at this time and attempted some marriage counseling techniques that she offered in order to patch things up, but it wasn't enough.

                Eventually, we realized that things were just getting worse so we separated on a good note. We were together for  10 1/2 months from Feb 11 2003 to Jan 1 2004.   I even have another journal entry I'd like to share about how we separated.

                "We are broken up now. we decided to make the First our last day as a couple and we're staying friends now. It'll be like December and Jan of last year with the kissing and cuddling and all  of that. It'll be good for us.

The talk went smooth, no arguing,  and the last day was great.

We went out to brunch and then home and watched a movie and spent time together. Then we went out to dinner too.

We didn't fight and he was really sweet to me and all. It was great! I was calling him a b*****d jokingly because of how great it was.. it was making me want to stay with him. But he told me how he was trying so hard to be so good and so I said he wouldn't be able to live up to my expectations then. Because I'd like to expect that from him daily. He said he might be able to do it weekly and I said I'd keep it in mind. It was sweet really. :-) We cuddled the night before at Mark's and cuddled the whole time too.  We cuddle last night also but didn't stay holding one another. I think maybe because I was distant due to the thought of loosing him. I couldn't get him to let go of me this morning and it was cute too but then after a while I had to get up and so did he. And after a while in the day when we were done with errands it started to get annoying. Anyhow,  it was a good clean break. No harshness between us. :-D "

 

                As Robin was living with my mother and myself, he remained in our home for a while after  but in his own separate room. It didn't take long to realize that was not the best idea. It made it more difficult to accept the break up and when I started seeing other people it hurt.  He moved out around February or March, all the way to Arkansas to live with his dad.

Things Change

as Time Goes on

Towards the end of Robin's and my relationship I had a few dating interests again. One boy I dated very briefly and had some fun with but I got quickly scared off with his unresolved anger issues.  The next boy I dated was one who worshiped the ground I walked upon, emotionally supported me whenever he could and found his way into my heart.  In fact, this boy, I married.

            I officially and exclusively started dating Joe in March of 2004. We had a little secret school romance going on prior to that, passing notes back and forth constantly even while I was dating Robin but then only as friends- at least on my part. Joe was always trying to win me over. One day, his spell finally got to me somehow.

                I graduated in May of 2004 and Joe was still only a sophomore despite being just 6 months younger than me. I bought an RV right out of high school because I planned to travel the 48 consecutive states before I went to college, but this didn't happen. Instead I had two trips with that RV- one to bring her home from Pennsylvania and then another not long after to visit Joe's sister in Arkansas. Only, we didn't just visit Joe's sister.

                Robin offered me gas money and food for the trip if I would help him move from Arkansas to New York.  I wanted to travel so I said yes. Joe tagged along. That was a very interesting trip but it really was not that bad. We all got along pretty well considering our past.  I pretty much left Robin for Joe when I talked to Robin about the notes Joe and I had passed and Robin told me I had to choose between them.  Joe hated that Robin hit me during our relationship-he wouldn't listen when I said I hit back and even attempted to choke Robin one time. Joe saw it as pure defense of course.  Robin hated Joe because as he saw it, Joe stole me from him.  Somehow, we were able to put all of that behind us and get along alright.

            Of course, some other interesting things happened on that trip. Like Robin asking to kiss me.  I said no, but I actually wanted to. I still had feelings for Robin but I was also still afraid of all the bad things that happened to us.  I answered no because of those things and because I was afraid of my love for Robin.

                 I denied that love for YEARS after our break up.  I downright refused to talk to Robin. I felt I had to distance myself and I blamed it on fear from abuse when I actually did it out of fear of still loving him.

                Robin moved to a rural area of NY for an internet girlfriend. However, they did not remain a couple for very long. 

Regardless, he continued to stay in NY at the YMCA and was doing pretty well. Its one of the only times he ever felt like he could take care of himself. He worked with  the YMCA and paid rent to live there.  He had hope that he'd get a second job and eventually be able to save to get his own apartment. But he soon missed his friends in KC and felt lonely, with Casey (the internet girlfriend) having left him for another man already. Casey did still remain friends with Robin but  I don't believe they spent much time together and Robin needed more socialization and support than what he was getting there. So he moved back to the KC area in 2005.

                I married Joe in March of 2005.  It was not a wise decision and I knew that even at the time I did it, but as impulsive as I was, we still married.

                Joe's and my marriage, in fact our entire relationship, was always rocky.  There were times I kicked him out of the apartment for not having a job or for annoying me. We attempted to have an open relationship, time and again throughout our marriage.  Jealousy appeared time and again. Rage showed up at our door.  Despite all of that, when I unexpectedly got pregnant November of 2005  we tried hard to make it work the best we could, whether living together or apart.

Our Unseen Sons

Around the same time I got pregnant, I also lost my job. With Joe and I both out of work, were unable to pay rent so we lost the apartment.  We lived with Joe's dad for a while, having the basement to ourselves, but as my pregnancy progressed I couldn't handle the smoke so I moved to my mom's.

                Joe moved with me for a while but it wasn't long before I had mother kick him out again.  I was having complications in my pregnancy and instead of supporting me any, Joe was only making matters worse. We fought and he stressed me out which wasn't helping that I was dilating early. 

                Despite trying to get rid of stress and going on bedrest, I still went into labor early and Joe was there to see his son born on Father's Day. We were still rocky but we were trying to work through things.  Even after Trinity Divine Helm made his way into the world, we still lived apart but we were dating again. Most of the dates we went on were family dates because it seemed more important to me that Trinity have time with his father and visa versa than Joe and I having time to repair things as a couple.. I was thinking we needed to repair as a family. 

                Joe soon joined the Navy to support his little family. Trinity fell mysteriously ill at 6 months, right around the time Joe was in boot camp.  We learned that Trinity had Severe Combined Immuno-Deficiency Syndrome (SCIDS), which is also known as "boy-in-the-bubble syndrome".  Basically Trinity didn't have an immune system, but he was protected by mine for the first six months of life and that's why it didn't show until then.

                 Trinity was hospitalized in Children's Mercy for 5 months. He had a stem cell transplant, in which I was the donor, and the transplant went well. However T acquired other problems such as fluid on the abdomen which had something to do with his liver not working right.  He died before he turned a year old.  Despite his illness, things were looking up and we were able to go home a few days before he passed away unexpectedly.

 

***

            September of 2007, Robin and his girlfriend of the time, Crystal, also had a baby boy.  Robin wasn't really ready to be a father but he took responsibility and tried his best anyway.  

                However, things between Robin and Crystal were not so well either. When their son William was only a few months old, Crystal left Robin for a man nicknamed Red who claimed to be deathly ill and wanted nothing more than a child before he died.  Crystal made Robin empty promises that he would still be a part of William's life even if he moved back home and that Red would never take Robins place as William's father. 

                When Robin did move back to Shawnee for his own sanity in early 2008 ,  he saw very little of William. Crystal made it difficult to have contact- her phone would be disconnected or she would get new numbers.  

 

                It was around this time that Robin and I started to reconnect.

An End to the Silence

For a period of four years after our break up in 2004, I found it frightening to talk to Robin.  I am shocked that I found enough courage shortly after the break up to take Robin from Arkansas to New York in my RV, but that's also the reason I had my boyfriend of the time, Joe, come along.  I also used that trip as my way of saying goodbye to Robin forever. Only the farewell didn't last forever.

                Robin tried to talk to me via instant messenger many times during the next 4 years, but I always kept conversation very limited or bluntly told him that I was still to afraid to talk to him.  I made myself believe then that I was afraid because of how abusive our relationship had gotten, when really I was always scared because I still cared about him and even loved him. 

                In 2006 Robin was dating an acquaintance named Adele who I started to get close to. She approached me to get advice on their relationship as someone who had been with Robin.  Oddly, talking to Adele brought out some fond memories of Robin's and my relationship in 2003.   It helped to break the ice to where I could talk to him on instant messenger.

                Then when Robin was struggling with the break up of him and Crystal in 2007, he called me.  I was nervous to answer but I did. He wanted to ask for advice on how to deal with missing his son.  He knew about how I lost my son so he thought I might be able to help him even though it was a different kind of loss than what he was going through.

                I was still trying to sort things out with my husband Joe at the time, but that was no reason I couldn't try to be friends with Robin again.  We would talk on the internet and on the phone from time to time throughout 2007.  I even saw Robin quite a bit because he was dating a mutual friend, Alysia. Alysia and Robin even helped me pack my stuff when I moved to Virginia to try living with Joe again. 

                Living with Joe did not last very long at all. I moved out there July 2007 and things escalated for the worse quickly. We tried counseling even, but it only gave the answer I already knew- neither of us really wanted to put forth the effort to fix things anymore. We had tried to fix it for 3 years already and while there were some moments of fantasy that were wonderful, most of the time we just did not get along. I moved back home to my mom's by Thanksgiving of 2007.

                While I was in Virginia, Robin and I still talked on the internet and on the phone.  Alysia left Robin and married a high school sweetheart all in the same week while I was in VA.  Alysia felt that Robin and I were flirting before I moved away and that he still loved me. Oddly enough,  Robin's other ex girlfriends had told me they felt like they were being compared to me as well.

                Well, when I came back to KC, Robin and I resumed hanging out and talking.  My best friend and ex-lover, Manny, and I had went through a spat around the same time I moved back. I had expected to find comfort in his arms when I came back to KC so I felt really alone.  As did Robin with all that he had gone through.  So we decided to take solace in each other as friends.

                We were both nervous wrecks because of everything that happened in the past. We were like that even while we were flirting (yes I admit it)

before I moved to Virginia.  Despite being nervous, we continued to talk to each other and open up. We connected on the loss of our sons (I couldn't even talk to Joe about that because he grieves differently than I do) and we connected on our messed up past relationships.  As we talked more about our loneliness, we decided to try cuddling together as friends.

                     The Begriming of

Something New

                We continued to platonically comfort one another this way- spending nights together cuddling in the same bed, completely clothed, and just talking to each other.  We began to get to know each other again. After all, we had went through a lot in the 4 years of near-silence.

                It didn't take long before we started feeling some intimate emotions towards each other again.  What was so special about it was that we weren't just feeling past emotions, but that we were actually falling in love with the new people we both were. We had both changed a lot in 4 years time.

                Because of our past, we talked in depth before we decided to cuddle as friends, and even then it took time before we ever actually held each other. We asked permission before we would even place an arm around the other person, etc. We made sure to be extra cautious about every movement we took.

                So, when we started feeling attraction to one another, we talked about that too. I told Robin that I wanted to kiss him. And he admitted he wanted to kiss me too. We debated about if it was a good idea or too impulsive and careless. Then, we kissed.

                That kiss took me back to a very happy place. Robin has always been a wonderful kisser when he puts all of his emotions into it.  No one has ever kissed me better.  I remember how I would melt in 2003 when he kissed me that way; how the whole world dissipated. This kiss was just the same.

                We began dating in secret for a while. Spending more and more time together. Being more affectionate in private, but only in private.  Then our first official date, which was still labeled as a friend date, was Winter Solstice 2008.

We continued to date, but in an open relationship where we could date others as well. Neither of us really did date others very much, but just knowing the option was there felt better for us at the time. We didn't want to rush into a relationship when we were still trying to move past the ones we had just come out of. We wanted to work on healing ourselves, but really we ended up healing each other.

                     In January 2009 I took Robin to see his son, William, for a weekend. We were posing as a couple to Robin's friends and especially to Crystal, William's mother. Robin wanted to look like he was doing just fine without her.  Only thing is, by the end of that weekend we really were a couple. 

                We decided to let people know that we were an official couple  in February. We thought it would be appropriate to follow suite to our relationship in 2003. In December 2002 and Jan 2003 we dated 'secretly', then made it official Feb 11 2003. So Feb 11 2009, we decided to make it official. In actuality, we celebrate our dating anniversary anytime between winter solstice (December 22) and Valentine's Day.

Moving Closer

and Moving In

                Robin and I spent as much time together as we could, but we were still very responsible about getting done what we needed to in life. I was working full time and going to evening classes for an associates in teaching. Robin was working nights.  So time together was hard to come by.  I would often go to the Denny's where Robin worked just to see him. The staff there were very friendly so they didn't mind as long as Robin did his job. Nights there were always slow anyway on the weekdays, so Robin would help tutor me with my my math homework if he didn't have customers. 

                At first, I would stay for a couple hours, then go back home. Then I would stay for a few hours, sleep in the car until Robin got off at 4 am, and go to his mom's for a few more hours of sleep until I got up at 7 am to get to work at 830.   Then there were some nights that I would just stay at his mom's while he was at work.  It was worth it to me just to have those few hours together, even if all we did was sleep. 

                Eventually, it was a situation that neither of our parents were too happy about. Neither were we, both households had rules that irritated us. We considered my moving into Robin's mom's basement but she would want to double the rent price then, which was basically equal to paying rent for our own place. So we went that route instead.

                I had been looking for a place to move anyway but couldn't afford it on my own, so I was looking for a roommate. I had a few potentials, but they always backed out. And I wasn't sure about the idea of living with someone I didn't know anyway.

                We moved in together in August of 2008.  Friends were worried about us moving too fast as a couple, as were we honestly, but like everything else- we talked it out first.  We decided we'd move in as roommates, not as boyfriend and girlfriend. We would still be dating but it wouldn't affect our relationship. We found a two bedroom so we could have separate personal space in case we needed it.  We talked through all the worries about living together- household chores, budget, habits, cleanliness.... etc.   We had everything covered. And amazingly enough, we did fine.

                Our first year here was sort of difficult. Robin quit Denny's soon after we moved in together because it was too stressful on him and too far out of the way to be worth what little he was making. He looked for something close but it took a LONG time before he finally got a job.  He had a temporary job with his sister that helped a little, but luckily I made just enough to cover the bills anyway. We just struggled for food.

                Surprisingly, I was perfectly fine with him not working.  I didn't have any urge to kick him out because he didn't work. Our relationship has always been much different from any of our past relationships.  I was happy with him being the homemaker and me being the breadwinner. He put in his part by taking care of the home. 

                There were times when things were really stressful and almost at breaking points, but what is important is that we worked through it all with our open honest communication.  That is the foundation we stand on- open honest communication- and it works very well for us.

__________________________________________________________________________
He Asked Me

to Marry Him!

When we were first ever talking about starting a relationship together, we said that this would have to be forever because neither of us had it in ourselves to go through another break up.  So, naturally, we talked about marriage and wedding plans in a casual manner off an on throughout our relationship.  

                After living together for over a year and seeing that we really are compatible, we got a little more serious in our talk about it.  However, it was still always posed as something far off.  Besides, there were and are many things in our lives that we need and want to get through first. 

                Regardless, October 2010 I admitted to Robin that I thought of him like my husband sometimes, but I knew it was still some time off before he would be.  He admitted to me on Tuesday October  26 2010 that he had been referring to me as his fiance to coworkers and such.  So I jokingly said to him, "When did you ask me to marry you?"  Wednesday, I called him my 'not-yet-hubby' to tease him.

                Then on Thursday October 28, I called him my 'non-fiance' to which he replied, "Non-fiance?" 

                "Well, you still haven't asked me to marry you yet."

                "Will you marry me?"

                "Do you MEAN it?"

                "Yes, I mean it."

                "YES! I will marry you."

                "Good. Now I still have to get you a ring."

                I could barely sleep  that night as I was giggling from joy!

 
    It wasn't until after the winter holidays that I actually received my ring.  I knew he had bought it and he had told me it was hidden somewhere in the house but I decided I didn't want to look because that's not how I wanted to receive the ring.
    One night before bed, he placed the silver box on the computer desk while I was out of the room. He said goodnight and went to bed and I came out to the computer to find it sitting there, on top of a note pad. I knew immediately what it was.  The note read "Merry Me" but I knew what he meant and so I took the box to him and told him once more to "tie a string on my finger for all I care."    
    We intend on having a long engagement, probably around 2 maybe 3 years. We choose to do this so that we can casually take our time getting things together for our wedding instead of being swallowed in the stress like many other couples.  Weddings are expensive and it will take time just to be able to afford all that we want. 
    Also we are still building on our life together as it is now, and this engagement doesn't change who we are or what we expect or what we want. Marriage won't do that to us either.  We will always be us. We will use open communication to work through everything.  We will make decisions together and still celebrate our individualities too. 
    THAT is what spending forever together is all about.  We know what is important and we focus on that- spending time together, keeping open communication,  and loving each other. Things inevitably change in life, but we will always face them together, and make changes together. This is what happily ever after truly means.

 

And they lived

Happily Ever After

____________________________

© 2011 MC Blodeuwedd


Author's Note

MC Blodeuwedd
Does it read well? Would you reword anything? Did it keep you interested throughout the whole story (page-turner)?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This does read well, with good content. I have not read all the way through, but when I do go back to read, each bit is quite enjoyable.
Most writers do not have this ability to be able to keep 'random' sections in their text interesting enough to want to continue reading. This would be an excellent page turner, even for the slowest and forgetful readers .
This writing is very personal and detail, The history that is covered flows very smooth although there is a lot. ( I could go on and on about how good this story appears in wrting, but that would be very boring.) You are very talented, not to mention your grammer is phenomenal. Good Luck!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This does read well, with good content. I have not read all the way through, but when I do go back to read, each bit is quite enjoyable.
Most writers do not have this ability to be able to keep 'random' sections in their text interesting enough to want to continue reading. This would be an excellent page turner, even for the slowest and forgetful readers .
This writing is very personal and detail, The history that is covered flows very smooth although there is a lot. ( I could go on and on about how good this story appears in wrting, but that would be very boring.) You are very talented, not to mention your grammer is phenomenal. Good Luck!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

656 Views
1 Review
Added on February 5, 2011
Last Updated on March 1, 2011

Author

MC Blodeuwedd
MC Blodeuwedd

Kansas City, MO



About
Most of my material is very old. Most of my writing comes from distraught. Only extreme emotion can really bring out my best poetry. I am trying to write more short stories now but even then I have t.. more..

Writing
Broken Broken

A Poem by MC Blodeuwedd