Schitzophrenics: What's It Really Like?

Schitzophrenics: What's It Really Like?

A Story by MadisonReneNeal
"

A look in into the brain disease, otherwise known as Schizophrenia. This research paper portrays what Schizophrenics deal with and what the disease is capable of.

"

Schizophrenics: What’s It Really Like?

Things that are real and not real, a concept that is easily grasped by most human beings, however, others tend to find differentiating the two far more challenging. Schizophrenia, a brain disorder that has many symptoms. Symptoms that fall under 5 different categories. Cognitive, behavioral, psychological, mood, and speech. For each of these categories, there are at least 20 symptoms that are caused by Schizophrenia. For example, thought disorder, delusions, amnesia, social isolation, disorganized behavior, aggression, agitation, compulsive behavior, anger, anxiety, apathy, hallucinations, paranoia, hearing voices, depression, circumstantial speech, incoherent speech, frenzied speaking, and speech disorder are all real symptoms of Schizophrenia. Every case varies; so some cases may not be as severe as others. Schizophrenia is an ongoing research topic because there are still many things that we have yet to figure out about this disease.

Unfortunately Schizophrenia is not a one-time occurring thing; it is a chronic disease (in most every case) that usually stays with the ‘host’ until death. Because Schizophrenia is an incurable disease as of now, patients must undergo various treatments throughout their lives. Treatment particularly involves medication, psychological, and social therapy. Successful treatment involves lifelong use of medication and proper psychological and social therapy, however, in some cases successful treatment is not a guarantee. Schizophrenia patients, if treated properly and appropriately, attend places such as Support group, Rehabilitation, Cognitive therapy, Family therapy, Behavior therapy, and Group psychotherapy. Patients may also see individual doctors such as Psychiatrists, Primary care providers (PCP), and/or Clinical psychologists. All three doctors may also perform a diagnosis on the patient to see if they in fact do have Schizophrenia. Unfortunately, about 40% of the Schizophrenic population go untreated every year. Most likely reason for this is because treatment and medicine is fairly expensive. Therapy sessions cost hundreds as well, but it all may be over soon as scientists are getting closer to understanding the truth behind Schizophrenia.

Schizophrenia is one of the most underfunded diseases for research there is, therefore making research much harder and longer to do. However scientists have just made a major breakthrough on January 29th, 2016. They have a made a major step in identifying the cause of the Schizophrenic disease. Researchers say that genetics and the environment may play a role in the development of Schizophrenia, as well as a chemical imbalance in the brain. This also includes neurotransmitters, called dopamine and glutamine, which they also believe to be a cause of Schizophrenia. Although none of these sources are confirmed to be the true cause of Schizophrenia, researches and scientists believe that it most definitely contributes to the development of Schizophrenia. Some find the idea of putting more money into finding a cure for Schizophrenia is an absurd idea, but in fact it would be changing or even saving thousands of lives.

1.5 million, this is the amount expected to be diagnosed with Schizophrenia this year alone. Over 100,000 in the United States, which is about 7 people per 1,000 or 21,000 within a city of 3 million. Schizophrenia is rarely found in children younger than 10. It is more commonly diagnosed at ages 18 and up. If patients are diagnosed at younger ages, such as 18, it more likely for it to be a male rather than a female because Schizophrenia tends to develop faster in males. So, is it fair that Schizophrenia patients don’t get half as much attention as other diseases? Schizophrenia is hard thing to live with and deal with for most, especially in extreme cases where they may even become violent. Violent Schizophrenics can be a danger to themselves, to others, or even both. Thankfully, violent Schizophrenics aren’t as common compared to an average Schizophrenic. Lots of people don’t realize how serious Schizophrenia can really be which is why people don’t take action towards it. They don’t realize how hard it is to cope with Schizophrenia if left untreated.

Schizophrenia left untreated may result in devastating outcomes. Lots of untreated patients commit suicide, in fact, 10% treated and untreated Schizophrenic Victims commit suicide because they cannot handle it. Schizophrenic victims particularly go untreated because of neglect by loved ones or because the failure to recognize the symptoms of Schizophrenia. 6% of Schizophrenics are homeless or live in shelters. Another 6% are in jails or prisons.  28% are living independently. So in all 40% of Schizophrenics may be at risk of neglect and no treatment. There is the issue. Schizophrenics are going untreated. They may never have a shot at recovery or ever living a normal life; which is highly unfair to the Schizophrenic population.

People who suffer with Schizophrenia deal with social and psychological issues. These problems cause an array of symptoms that make it hard to control what they think, how they speak, how they feel, and what they do. With the ongoing research of the disease, a cure may arise soon, curing the thousands who suffer from the horrible brain disease, Schizophrenia.

 

 

 

© 2016 MadisonReneNeal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
Added on January 31, 2016
Last Updated on January 31, 2016
Tags: Schizophrenia, BrainDisease, Schizophrenics