The Cat's Curiosity

The Cat's Curiosity

A Story by Säde Ryder

She pressed her back against the alley wall, attempting to control her heavy breathing so she would blend into the masses on the crowded street. Why oh why did she have to be so curious all the time? If curiosity killed the cat, she was experiencing the last moments of consciousness in this world. Her heartbeat finally calmed as she pulled herself away from the wall and forced her feet to walk out into the open street flooded with people. Every nerve was twitching as she casually picked up the latest edition of Vogue from a nearby newsstand. Thankfully she could still pull off the ‘innocent, giddy teenager’ image though she was more mature in years. A tall young man swaggered up to the vendor and started thumbing through an automotive magazine, obviously attempting to catch her eye. 

 
“So, what is the latest news in the world of high fashion?” asked a low, British accent.
 
“Empire waistlines seem to be hanging around and the peep-toe pump is still a hot little item for spring, coming in even more vibrant, primary colors.”
 
“Really? I will have to invest in a pair…cobalt blue should do wonderfully.”
 
She gave him a quizzical look, wondering if he was serious or seriously not straight. His contemplating facial expression melted into a broad grin when he caught site of her raised eyebrow.
 
“Any peep-toe pumps I buy will be sent to my sister, with love on her birthday,” he smiled.
 
“Good, I didn’t think cobalt blue would be ideal for your skin tone,” she grinned, returning the magazine to the rack and sauntering past him with a flip of her auburn hair.
 
“May I ask you a question?” he inquired as he jogged to catch up to her.
 
“I believe you already have.”
 
“I meant in addition to the initial one.”
 
“So I gathered as you are still walking next to me. Yes, you may ask me another question.”
 
“Why were you in the alley?”
 
Her confident stride faltered; she prayed that no one noticed as she tried to hide it by leaning up against a building, fixing her black heel as if it was the problem.
 
“Why do you ask?” she questioned, attempting to cover up her suspicion with a flirtatious smirk.
 
“It isn’t a common occurrence to see a beautiful girl casually waltz out of an alley to pick up a new fashion magazine. In my opinion, pretty girls and dark alleys should not mix, and if they do, some pervert needs to be castrated.”
 
“Everyone is entitled to his opinion,” she shot back, walking briskly with the throngs, searching the faces for those from whom she was hiding. Suddenly, she felt pressure on her arm and her feet leaving their intended path. A hand flew over her mouth as she found herself in a dark entry of a café next to the young man.
 
“Please do not become upset and attempt something irrational. I think you are in trouble and I want to help. Actually, I know you are in trouble and you need my help.”
 
Her defenses sprang up, she was acutely aware of her surroundings and every possible escape plan was filed away for quick reference in the near future. Her muscles tightened as she was lead into the café, to a secluded corner with the strange man. On closer inspection, she realized that he was indeed a man, not a teenage boy she had originally assumed. He was like her, young in visage with experienced eyes. She sat in the booth with a huff, tossing her flower-print bag onto the table. Now her defiance took control; fire raged in her grey-blue eyes as she stared at him, imagining his heart combusting inside his chest. She started entertaining creative ideas of how to end his life by the most painful process imaginable. A devious smirk toyed with her red lips. Her eyes shone in sick pleasure; he would learn nothing from her.
 
“Go ahead and be difficult, but I know more than you would like. Your curiosity is about to kill you, Cat.” Her defiance vanished into incapacitating terror. Two emerald green eyes pierced her thoughts as he spoke her name; his gaze was commanding, strong and fearsome. She desired terribly to crawl under the table and melt into the cracks of the hardwood floor.
 
“You may escape from me, but you will foolishly place yourself in their unforgiving hands,” his words brusquely squelched any courage she conjured. 
 
“Frankly, you are currently in the safest position you could possibly be. However, ‘safe’ is a very subjective word with different connotations for different people.”
 
The life drained from her face, the fire in her eyes turned to ice. The man hastily hauled her up the stairs to a small, musty apartment. The walls were littered with photographs. A printer hummed as it spewed out a letter-sized head shot of herself. Horror paralyzed her as she realized the photos where of her life. Why was her life chronicled on this man’s walls?
 
“Why do you quiver so, Darling?” he whispered seductively in her ear, as he approached from behind, delicately trailing his fingers up her spine. “You have no reason to be nervous; the fun has not begun,” the hair of her neck stood on end; he turned her around, backing her up against the cold wall. Two emerald eyes shone red in the afternoon light—two windows into the burning, merciless, fiery lakes of Hell.

© 2008 Säde Ryder


Author's Note

Säde Ryder
I'm attempting a revision, but would still appreciate feedback.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think i'd like to know what happens next? It's riviting!

Posted 16 Years Ago


"she prayed that no one noticed as she tried to hide it buy" - "by" obviously.

"newsstand" - that could be news-stand. I looked it up. but MW allows newsstand. so your choice.

"Her muscles tightened as she was lead into the caf�, to a secluded corner with the strange man." - I don't think the comma is necessary.

"She desired terribly to crawl under the table and melt into the cracks of the hardwood floor. " - loved this line!

'�You may escape from me, but you will foolishly place yourself in their unforgiving hands,� his words brusquely squelched any courage she conjured.

�Frankly, you are currently in the safest position you could possibly be. However, �safe� is a very subjective word with different connotations for different people.�' - since he is still speaking, I think maybe that should be one paragraph. it could get confusing otherwise.

"Horror paralyzed her as she realized the photos where of her life." - "were"

"�You have no reason to be nervous; the fun has not begun,� the hair of her neck stood on end;" - I think there should be a period instead of a comma. Then of course capitalizing "the".

Now that the little nitpicks are over: I really enjoyed this. I'm not much for short stories - writing them, at least. But you did this very well! It had a bit of humour, and then suspense and excitement. Probably the wrong kind, but you know...it had it all, I thought. I also like your little lines that describe an object or feeling so poetically. So well done on that. =]


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

238 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2008

Author

Säde Ryder
Säde Ryder

Denver, CO



About
I play with chemicals and consume fiction. Rain brings me joy and heat evokes misery. My pet is a jar of crystals. I was born in '84 on Independence day. Here are a few stories I enjoy: SparksA S.. more..

Writing
Euphony Euphony

A Story by Säde Ryder