Aversion: Revision

Aversion: Revision

A Story by Maniac Mike
"

A revised version of Aversion.

"

Aversion

by  Michael  Elias

 

 

    Morton  was  standing  outside  inspecting  the  snow  surrounding  the  neighborhood.   At  least  the  street  was  plowed.  He  grabbed  a  shovel  and  put  his  backpack  on  top  of  his  car.  He  shook  his  head  at  the  snow  blocking  him  in.  Morton  grumbled  as  he  also  noticed  the  frost  on  his  windows.  He  began  shoveling  while  mumbling  about  the  situation.

    "I'm  so  sick  of  snow,"  he  said  to  himself.

He  used  the  shovel  against  the  snow  the  way  a  knight  would  use  a  sword  against  a  dragon.  His  red  winter  coat  and  brown  wool  hat  were  sparkled  with  white  flakes.

    “Bad  day  for  you, huh?”  asked  a  voice  from  behind  him.

 Morton  turned  and  saw  a  guy  wearing  a  white  outfit.  He  was  about  his  age, early  twenties.

    “Oh, hi  Larry.”  Morton  eliminated  more  of  the  snow.  “I  got  to  say  it, I  still  can’t  get  used  to  you  sneaking  up  on  me  like  this.”

His  friend  laughed.  “My  man, when  you’ve  got  it, you’ve  got  it.”  Cars  passed  up  and  down  the  street.

    “I’m  going  to  be  late  for  class,”  Morton  said, as  he  continued  picking  at  the  snow.

Larry  smiled.  “Some  things  don’t  change,”  said  Larry.   Morton  continued  to  struggle  with  the  snow.  Same  old  Larry.  “Could  you  help  me, Larry?”  As  he  looked  at  his  friend’s  face, he  was  reminded  of  all  those  times  in  the  past  when  he  asked  his  parents  and  teachers  questions  which  he  knew  the  answers  to.

    “Come  on, Morton,  we’ve  discussed  this.”  Morton  frowned  and  continued  working.

 “I  guess  the  same  goes  for  my  car’s  heater.”  The  two  friends  looked  at  each  other.  Larry  shrugged  his  shoulders.  “Sorry, Mort.”  The  shovel  kept  moving  in  Morton’s  cold  hands.   He  glanced  over  at  the  very  car  he  was  trying  to  free.  He  had  a  sick  feeling.

“It’ll  all  be  fine,”  Larry  said, “today  I  mean.”  Morton  looked  up  from  shoveling.

“I’m  not  sure  what  you  mean.”  Finally  he  took  care  of  one  side  of  the  car.  He  cringed  at  the  sight.



“You’re  afraid  of  getting  stuck  again, aren’t  you?”  asked  Larry.  The  shovel  continued  receiving  a  work  out.  A  best  friend  knows.  Larry  always  knew.  If  I  was  troubled  which  I  normally  am, he’d  know.

 “I’m  not  sure  what  to  say.”   A  tired  Morton  continued  shoveling.

“You  were  stuck  inside  that  old  car  on  a  day  colder  than  this  one,”  Larry  reminded  him.  The  look  on  Morton’s  face  showed  he  didn’t  need  a  reminder.

“It  was  more  than  once.  I  couldn’t  open  the  door.”

 

~

The  snow  had  just  begun  falling  the  first  time  the  incident  occurred.  Morton  was  attempting  to  put  the  car  in  reverse, but  couldn't.  The  tires  fell  victim  to  the  whiteness  of  the  snow  that  impacted  the  ground.  Morton  decided  to  have  a  look  outside, to  make  sure  nothing  or  nobody  was  in  the  way, but, the  windows  were  getting  covered.  So  he  went  for  the  door.  The  door  wasn’t  opening.  What’s  going  on?  I’m  stuck.  Morton  franticly  tried  the  switch  on  the  door  over  and  over  again.  It  wouldn’t  budge.  He  noticed  a  neighbor  sprinkling  salt  outside.

    Morton  pounded  on  the  window  trying  to  get  her  attention.  Mrs.  Potter  waved.  Oh  come  on, Mrs.  Potter.  He  motioned  her  over  and  finally  she  came.  She  pulled  on  the  door  and  it  opened.  After  thanking  her, he  kept  the  door  open  and  finally  moved  the  car  off  the  street.

  ~

Larry  looked  sympathetic.  “Could’ve  been  that  the  door  was  frozen  shut.”  The  scraping  of  the  shovel  continued.

“Plus, the  second  time  it  happened, I  couldn’t  get  the  key  to  turn  the  second  time  it  occurred.”  My  car  hates  me.   A  mailman  passed  by.

“I  know,  it  was  a  tough  day, all  of  them, due  to  your  claustrophobia.”  The  shovel  scraped  against  the  ground. 

“I  know  others  have  similar  issues  and  stuff,”  Morton  said.  The  mailman  shot  a  confused  glance  towards  Morton.  “Just  imagine  all  those  times  when  I’d  park  my  car  in  this  driveway  and  couldn’t  get  the  door  open  all  the  way.”

   ~

Morton  drove  to  the  top  of  the  driveway.  He  opened  the  door, but, it  hit  a  part  of  the  house.  “Mom  and  Dad  couldn’t  have  gotten  a  house  with  a  bigger  driveway  before  I  was  born?”                                          He  heard  laughter  in  the  background.  Amy.  His  kid  sister. 



“Nice  driving, Morton,”  Amy  said.

      ~

Kids  next  door  were  now  outside  playing  in  the  snow.

“Public  school  faculty  day, huh?”  Larry  asked.  Morton  nodded  and  struck  against  the  snow  some  more. 

“Larry, when  I  was  their  age, sure  I  was  afraid  of  being  trapped  in  small  places, but, I  wasn’t  like  this.”  The  kids  sounded  like  they  were  having  fun.

“So, you  tense  up  at  times, it  happens.”

    The  other  side  was  pretty  much  done, now  Morton  had  to  clear  the  back  of  the  car.

"It  happens  a  lot, Larry,"  he  said, "when  I'm  stuck  in  traffic, when  there's  a  huge  crowd  of  people  around, and  many  other  situations." 

          ~

    The  traffic  came  to  a  sudden  stop.  He  waited.  "Come  on."  He  wondered  how  long  he’d  been  sitting  in  traffic  already.  One  minute?  Two  minutes?  Do  I  have  enough  gas?  What  if  my  car  breaks  down  right  here?  I  hope  my  cell  phone  is  still  fully  charged. 

              ~

    A  ball  flew  from  next  door  and  hit  the  snow  on  top  of  his  car.

“Plus  you  wonder  if  you’ll  end  up  trapped  in  your  car  again  away  from  home,”  Larry  said.

Morton  didn’t  have  to  respond.  A  little  boy  and  girl  walked  over  to  get  the  ball  back.

“Good  morning, Morton!”  said  the  boy.  He  smiled  at  them.

“Want  to  play  ball  with  us?”  asked  the  little  girl.

Morton  handed  the  ball  back.  “Sorry, but  college  isn’t  closed  today,”  he  said, “But  have  fun, Timmy, Sally.”  The  kids  waved  at  Morton  and  ran  back  singing.  Morton  continued  shoveling  again.  Larry  thought  of  something.  “Elevators.”

The  shovel  paused.  “Excuse  me?”  The  cool  air  made  Morton  shiver.

“Just  remembering  how  you  always  were  on  elevators,”  Larry  told  him.

Now  Morton  seemed  embarrassed.  “I  know  how  I  was, I  was  there.”

              ~



“You  didn’t  tell  me  it  was  on  the  tenth  floor,”  Morton  said  some  time  in  the  past.

“Does  it  matter?  It’s  the  coolest  wax  museum  in  the  world,”  Larry  responded, “It  has  to  be  on  their  biggest  floor.”  The  elevator  opened.  Morton  started  to  shake.

“Larry, I  don’t  think  this  elevator  is  working  properly.” 

“Sure  it  is.”

Running  was  heard.  Morton  was  pushed  inside  the  elevator.

“Amy, you  little  brat, what  are  you  doing  here?”

“Same  as  you  two,”  she  said.

Larry  got  in  and  pushed  “10”  on  the  elevator.

“No, wait,”  Morton  said.

             ~

    Larry  watched  his  friend  tackle  the  snow  with  even  more  aggression.

“Well  Larry, I  was  stuck  in  an  elevator  before.”

Hearing  this, Larry  laughed.  A  neighbor  walked  by.

“Everything  okay, Morton?”

He  took  a  deep  breath  after  tossing  more  snow.

“Yes, Mr.  Lane, I’m  good.”

So, the  quest  continued.

“That  elevator  just  stalled  and  seconds  later  that  girl  pressed  a  button  and  the  doors  opened  up.”

A  look  in  his  eyes  shows  that  Morton  knew  Larry  was  right.

“Still  Larry, when  my  feet  stopped  feeling  the  vibrations  of  the  elevator, I  panicked.”  Morton  checked  his  watch.  He  continued  to  shovel.

“I  don’t  mean  to  sound  like  a  broken  record, Morty  my  man, but, you  must  face  your  fears.”

Another  chunk  of  snow  was  thrown.  “Like  Shannon?”  Morton  asked.  “That  pretty  girl  in  my  class?”  Another  bunch  of  snow  was  deposited.

“Why  not  ask  her  out?”  Larry  asked.  Morton  threw  more  snow  around.



“I  don’t  want  to  make  a  fool  out  of  myself  at  school.”  Bad  enough  I  started  college  late.

“Come  on, Mort  Man, you  owe  it  to  yourself  to  try,”  Larry  reasoned, “Forget  what  the  others  think.”

Morton  sneezed.  "It's  not  that  simple, just  walking  over  to  her  and  telling  her." 

A  husband  and  wife  walked  by  and  looked  at  Morton.  Their  facial  expressions  were  those  of  concern.  They  decided  to  pretend  they  didn’t  see  him. 

"Man, don't  you  think  she  has  some  idea  that  you  like  her?"  Larry  asked  as  his  friend  continued  moving  snow.

                 ~

At  school  at  a  different  time, Morton  saw  her  in  the  hall.  Shannon.  He  may  be  a  few  years  older  than  this  girl  who  Morton  felt  should  be  in  magazines, but, his  knees  still  buckled  around  her.

“Um, hi  Shannon.”

“Hi  Morton.”

There  was  a  long  pause.  “Yeah, um, so, it’s  a  nice  day  today,”  Morton  blurted  out.

Shannon  smiled.  “No  complaints  here.  It’s  so  beautiful  out  there.  Wish  we  didn’t  have  class  so  I  could  be  out  there.”

No, you’re  what’s  beautiful. 

                  ~

“I’ll  do  it  if  I  ever  make  it  in  one  piece,”  Morton  responded, “I  hate  this  season.”

Morton  was  now  done  with  that  side.  "Tell  me, my  friend, why  wouldn't  you  make  it  to  school  in  one  piece?”

Morton  went  into  his  pocket  and  took  out  his  keys.   "There's  too  many  crazy  people  on  the  road, people  just  don't  care."  Morton  opened  his  car  door  and  was  looking  around. 

"Oh  Morton, your  fear  of  getting  into  an  accident  multiplied  after  what  happened  to  me."

Morton  was  cleaning  his  car  windows, scraping  the  ice  off.  "Yes, you're  right, my  anxieties  did  get  worse  after  that  day."  Morton  looked  sad  as  he  scraped  off  his  back  car  window.

"Yeah, I  hear  you,"  said  Larry, "but  the  fact  is, I  messed  up."  Morton  looked  as  if  he  was  reliving  that  moment.



“What  are  the  odds  that  I’d  be  driving  up  the  same  road  that  day?”

Larry  looked  like  he  was  soaking  it  all  in.  “I  should’ve  listened  to  you  the  night  before.”

This  surprised  Morton.  “It’s  weird  hearing  you  say  that  I’m  right.”  A  boy  with  a  sled  was  passing  by  and  gave  Morton  a  funny  look.  Morton  didn’t  say  anything  to  him.  Larry  knew  what  he  meant.  “Mort  Man, you  did  tell  me  not  to  stay  at  Anton’s  too  late  that  night, to  get  some  sleep.”  The  scraping  of  the  window  continued.

    “You  stayed  until  closing, I  know,”  Morton  responded.  The  back  window  was  almost  done.

"It  was  after  3:30  in  the  morning  and  boy  I  drank  a  lot,"  Larry  explained, "not  sure  how  I  made  it  home."

Now  Morton  wrapped  up  on  the  back  window.  "Then  you  had  to  go  to  work  at  eight  and  it  surprised  me  you  didn't  over  sleep."  Morton  looked  at  his  car  with  some  pride  now.

“Not  bad  for  a  1990  model,”  Larry  mentioned.

"Yours  was  better  and  was  a  shiny  2009  model."  They  both  laughed. 

                        ~

It  didn’t  look  so  nice  after  Larry  dozed  off  at  the  wheel  that  day, waking  up  in  time  to  swerve  as  he  faced  the  big  truck, just  to  crash  his  prized  car  into  the  strong  old  tree.  Morton  happened  to  be  on  Newton  Avenue  that  morning.  A  crack  was  left  in  the  town’s  oldest  tree.

                           ~

Morton  wanted  to  get  into  the  ambulance  that  day, but  Larry  understood  why  he  didn’t.  Morton  looked  at  his  watch  again  and  scraped  faster.

“I  noticed  that  you’re  still  wearing  that  same  old  watch,”  Larry  said.  The  window  was  getting  cleaner.  “I’m  glad  you’re  still  in  college  and  will  transfer  to  a  four  year  one  after  this  semester.”

“So  Larry, I  was  wondering….”

“Sorry, like  I  said  before, can’t  tell  you.”

“I  understand,”  Morton  said, then  checked  his  doors, making  sure  he  could  open  them  from  the  inside. 

"You  know, Mort, you  go  to  church  every  week, so, shouldn't  you  have  faith  that  things  will  turn  out  alright?”

Morton  knew  these  days  Larry  knew  more  about  the  teachings  of  the  Church  than  he  did.  He  knows  he’s  right.  Morton  just  forgets  to  stop, think, and  breathe  at  times.  He  knew  he  had  to  believe  in  himself  more.  As  the  two  friends  spoke  some  more, Morton  turned  his  head  and  was 

met  with  a  flying  snowball  in  the  face.  Amy!  Morton  was  furious  and  Amy  was  laughing.  Larry  was  laughing.  Morton  gave  Larry  a  look.

“What  are  you  doing  out  here?”  Amy  asked.  Larry  took  a  good  look  at  Amy.  Morton  tapped  his  watch  and  shook  his  head  at  his  sister.  The  car  door  was  slammed.

“Don’t  get  mad  my  friend, but, your  sister  has  gotten  prettier  since  the  last  time  I  saw  her.”  He  got  a  scowl  for  that  comment.

"I  don't  see  you  on  your  phone,"  Amy  said.  Morton  looked  confused.  "Well, you  were  talking,"  she  reminded  him.  The  two  siblings  were  face-to-face  on  the  driveway  covered  in  white. 

"Was  I  now?"  Morton  asked, and  got  a  handful  of  snow.  Amy  pushed  him.  Morton  tripped  on  the  shovel  and  fell  into  a  pile  of  snow.  She  helped  him  up  to  Larry’s  surprise.  Why  does  she  torture  me?  Probably  here  to  gloat  that  she  has  the  day  off  of  school.  He  grumbled.

“Sorry  bro, you  okay?”  she  said.  No  response.  "I  was  out  in  the  shed  and  found  something  in  your  footlocker, I  know  you  don't  want  me  to  mess  with  it  and  you  haven't  used  it  since….  You  know, but,  I  was  bored  so….”  She  pulled  out  a  silver  watch.  Morton’s  eyes  lit  up  and  noticed  Larry  had  the  exact  expression.  She  handed  Morton  the  watch.  He  turned  the  back  to  see  the  engraving:  HAPPY  BIRTHDAY  LARRY     Love  Mom  'n'  Dad      

"It's  been  so  long,"  said  Morton.  Larry  was  wearing  a  big  smile. 

"He  must  have  put  it  there  that  day  you  guys  did  yardwork, must  have  fell  from  his  jacket  pocket  when  he  put  it  there."

“Thank  you, and  it’s  okay  to  say  his  name,”  he  reminded  her.  She  gave  him  a  playful  punch  in  the  arm.

“And  it’s  okay  to  talk  to  me  instead  of  yourself,”  she  then  walked  inside.

"Larry, do  you  want  me  to  deliver  the  watch  to  your  parents?" 

“I  want  you  to  take  off  that  old  out  dated  watch  you  have  on  now  and  put  mine  on,”  he  said.

“Shouldn’t  this  go  to  your  family?”

“Man, you  are  family,”  Larry  assured  him.

“I  always  felt  the  same, what  if  your  parents  ask?”

"Wear  it  until  you  don't  need  it  any  more, like  when  your  confidence  is  where  you  want  it  to  be."

“I  promise  to  take  good  care  of  it.”  Morton  took  his  old  one  off  and  his  new  one  on.  A  little  boy  was  walking  by.


“Who  are  you  talking  to?”  asked  the  boy.

Morton  gives  him  his  old  watch.  The  little  kid  smiles.

“Thank  you,”  said  the  kid.  He  walked  away.

“This  will  always  truly  be  your  watch,”  Morton  said.

“Time  to  get  to  class, college  man,”  Larry  responded.

Morton  raised  his  hand  in  a  high-five  position.  Larry  raised  his  hand  as  well.  When  they  high-fived, Morton’s  hand  passed  through  Larry’s  like  a  holographic  image.

“Thank  you, Larry.”

“God  bless, Morton.”

He  walked  into  his  car  and  started  up  the  engine.  “It’s  going  to  be  a  good  day.” 

“Try  your  heater!”  Larry  called  out.  He  did  and  it  worked.  A  tear  rolled  down  from  his  eye.  Morton  gave  a  thumbs  up  to  Larry  before  backing  out  of  the  driveway.  Larry  disappeared.  Morton  drove  up  the  street.  He  turned  right  and  beat  the  red  light  as  he  made  a  left.  Finally,  he  jumped  on  the  freeway  and  was  on  his  way  to  college.

© 2015 Maniac Mike


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
Added on June 1, 2015
Last Updated on June 1, 2015
Tags: USWF, story, TNA, Maniac_Mike, Impact, dreams, friendship