A Conversation

A Conversation

A Story by Marina
"

Two o f my heroes talking with each other about life.

"

“Oh my dear, dear, sir Moritz, your show was marvelous! You were spectacular!”

“My dear Maxwell, I am well-aware. Your observation is utterly unnecessary. How is Mary and the children?”

“Grand, they are grand indeed, Mr. Moritz. May I offer you some liquer? It’s made from the tears of your artistic enemies.”

“Oh, but of course Maxwell. Such liquers are also the most tasteful ones, you know. They are sweet and refined. Something I dare say does not apply to my enemies, ha-ha! However, let’s seat ourselves to the black and white room, and let’s talk only about truths, Maxwell.”

“So, Mr. Moritz, confess a truth about yourself.”

“Oh no dear! Not by the slightest! What are we, some ordinary conversationalists? Unfathomable! Tell me Maxwell, is it true that you are a victim of depression?”

“I’m afraid I am, Mr. Moritz”

“Tre banal, my dear fellow. And what do you expect will come out of it? Oh, but it is just so ordinary, Maxwell! Have I taught you nothing?”

“I do not know what I’m expecting, Mr. Moritz. I am seeing a therapist. He is very good.”

“Oh, for God’s name, Maxwell! A therapist? Tre banal, tre banal. First of all, someone should inform this…therapist of yours that Freud is dead. He is old-fashioned, he is banal, Maxwell!”

“B-b-but, Mr. Mor-“

“Maxwell! For the hundredth time, I have told you not to stutter! Your skull makes a gruesome noise when you do, and it is truly painful, Maxwell, truly! See what you did now? My monocle fell in the glass. Bring me the tweezers, so I can take it out, Maxwell.”

“Yes, Mr. Moritz. I simply meant to say that Freud has a certain prestige, Mr. Moritz. You cannot simply nullify him like this!”

“My dear Maxwell. I can nullify whatever I wish to nullify. And soon the time will come, when you realize that Freud was no more than an opium-addict, neurotic mortal. How long has it been since his death? Not even a month, Maxwell! He still hasn’t even decomposed properly! Tragic… When he joins our circle, you may ask him yourself!”

“I shall, Mr. Moritz.”

“It will be hilarious to see his course of action, when he shall not be able to smoke any longer, Maxwell, don’t you agree?”

“I wouldn’t know, Mr. Morritz.”

“Oh for God’s name, Maxwell, look more…alive! Ha ha ha, I am in such high spirits today!”

“Indeed, you are. However, Mr. Moritz, I am still a victim of depression.”

“Don’t be. In our situation, nothing should have any effect on us whatsoever! For God’s name Maxwell, look at us. Do you honestly think that anything, be it bad or good, can go through us? Ha-ha 'go through us' , good one eh, Maxwell?”

“Extremely good, if I may say, Mr. Moritz! And what would you advise instead of depression?”

“Another…skull session, of course! Yes, another skull session with our friends! I know what you will say, Maxwell. That another skull session cannot possibly make you feel happier, after everything we have lived through. That nothing excites you anymore. And this is exactly your problem, Maxwell! Everything is marvelous! How could you not see that? For God’s name, look at ourselves, we are a sack of talking bones! Marvelous, Maxwell, marvelous I tell you! 

© 2016 Marina


Author's Note

Marina
The text was originally written in my mother tongue (Greek). There I had no problems to find a suitable, rhyming word for depression, which was astonishment (they both rhyme in greek). Here I had troubles to find a word that would rhyme with depression and would mean something equal to pleasant surprise. So I came up with "skull session", because it is something surprising on its own. Any alternative suggestions are more than welcome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

I was overwhelmed with the italics to indicates speech. However, I was also excited for a challenge especially after reading your author's note. Languages are fascinating so I am eager to learn about Greek. Foreign languages have exotic beauty all its own.

CONTENT AND FORMAT

Firstly, I would not change "skull session." I think that it is a clever phrase, and it rolls off the tongue pleasantly. It is interesting that "depression" and "astonishment" rhyme in greek. Somehow those two words go together so well. Here are some words that rhyme with depression:

1. oppression
2. succession
3. dissection

However, I still love "skull session."

CHARACTERIZATION

The characters are witty; they had me chuckle a few times especially since their names themselves I find silly in a wonderful way. From the start, I envisioned "fat cats" in their suits with their nose upturned, giving each other false compliments. Artists such as show performers are often egocentrics. They sort of have to be in order to put on a good show for the audience.

Sir Moritz: He is the kind of person who cannot accept compliments with a simple thank you. He comes off as a narcissist when Maxwell tells him how good he did.

Sir Maxwell: He is the kind of person who will kiss your a*s, so to speak. He knows how to flatter an artist with vices and sweet words.

The interaction between the two were hilarious. It makes one wonder if Sir Maxwell's compliments are genuine. The theatre is not an easy place to thrive given the competition; there is jealousy, envy, and lust.

Maxwell seems very humble and honest. Moritz appears to feed off the weaknesses of others as he interrogates him in the "black and white" room; a symbol of morality. The reference to Freud made me laugh despite how he batters poor Maxwell. However, I agree with much of what Moritz states about Freud; a psychologist who has been discounted for many of his theories.

The story concluded with the topic of depression. This informed the audience what "skull session" meant; a therapy session. Clearly, Moritz does not respect "shrinks" but Maxwell was adamant about receiving help.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

Overall, I enjoyed the thrill of the dialogue. It read as a screenplay, and therefore, suggest experimenting with this format. I think it would be interesting to see where the theatrical stage takes you. Thank you so much for sharing!

sincerely,
ria

Posted 7 Years Ago


Marina

7 Years Ago

Good to know that 'skull session' made sense, and I am beyond happy that you actually grasped what i.. read more
Reading your author's note, I was unaware of any particular rhyming scheme as I read, so the rhyming part of your explanation seemed unclear. The part of the author's note I love is the way you explain that you chose something surprising to say, when searching for a translation of "astonishment". I'm always urging new writers to get outside the box of clichés & find something surprising to say. I love & encourage this approach. Your entire story is fresh & imaginative, even if I didn't follow every part of it. Good use of dialogue & I like the unexpectedness of almost everything shared in conversation here.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Marina

7 Years Ago

Indeed, the rhyming effort is not clear here. It was much clearer when I wrote it in Greek, because .. read more
As a fan of anything supernatural or horror/thriller, I loved this story! I have a question. Are they ghosts or undead? Well done, a very interesting read

Posted 7 Years Ago


Marina

7 Years Ago

Thanks :D
They are undead skeletons wearing suits haha!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

271 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 23, 2016
Last Updated on September 27, 2016
Tags: life, death, short story, humor, sarcasm, skeleton, freud, wine

Author

Marina
Marina

My mind's palace



About
Too many lives to live-too little time. We are not made of stars-we are made of stories. more..

Writing
Monologue Monologue

A Story by Marina



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..