A Very Pleasant Surprise

A Very Pleasant Surprise

A Story by Dave

     
                                 A Very Pleasant Surprise

This another recollection of one of our 8th grade trips to Washington.

Being the social studies teacher for our academic team I was especially responsible for 
preparing our students for the special monuments we would be visiting.   Watching the changing  the of  guard at the Tomb of the Unknown soldiers was high on our list.   It was stressed that behavior was very important during the ceremony.   It was also strongly pointed out that Arlington is a working cemetery, that on any given day there might be any number of funerals going on and we must be respectful .

We had just finished watching the changing of the guard ceremony and were getting back aboard the trams they use to transport large groups about the cemetery.   I was the only  teacher on our tram with one chaperone.   Being appropriately quiet during the ceremony the students were now free to chatter among themselves,  after-all they were very social 8th graders.

The driver started our tram up and pulled up to the intersection and then not only stopped, but turned the motor off.  I thought this was curious until I noticed to our right a flag draped cassion with an honor guard  of Marines being followed by what must have been the family of the fallen Marine.

Despite have been here several times, I had never seen anything like this before. What really got my attention was the fact that there wasn't a single sound, not a word from our entire tram of students.   They were all so quiet an respectful.   It wasn't until after the cassion and the group had passed that our driver started up our tram again.   It wasn't until then that the students began talking again.

When we got to the next intersection I asked the driver to allow me to speak on the PA system they have on their trams.   I told all my students "I have never been so proud of the way you all just behaved in honoring one of those being brought here."

It might seem as though it wasn't necessary, but to often teens hear so many negative things that adults have to say about them.   I felt they should also hear something positive being said about them.

© 2021 Dave


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Holy Guacamole! This is one of the most superb stories you've written on any topic! I love this story! I've always suspected you must be a wealth of these types of stories, after all your years as a history teacher. This reminds me that maybe I should write about some of the interesting projects I've worked on in my technical writing career. It's amazing how we take these things for granted in our lives, but they really make startlingly meaningful stories about our country & how deeply traditions go. There's a movie, a little slow & boring, named "Taking Chance" with Kevin Bacon . . . he shows every precise detail of what is involved when a member of the military takes a fallen member home. It's amazing how much is required! So meticulous, many things must be done at every turn & stop. As a history teacher yourself, I bet you feel much pride to share these customs we have as Americans! Plus, the reader could really feel the pride you felt in your students. You got that across with a ton of feeling & authenticity (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 3 Years Ago


Awesome! As an 8th grader I can relate so much from this. One of my fondest memories is when my math teacher emailed my parents this year and wrote a very down to earth email about how I was good on a regular day. I think memories like this are valuable especially due to the decline of respect. I think you really understand teens to a greater degree than many others. One issue with the story is that the description is not very vivid, so while it is a great story, it may be hard to pull the reader in.

Posted 3 Years Ago


This is a great story--one that makes me think respect and reverence still exists--even in the young. I think it used to be more prevalent, though. Your experiences as a teacher must be very rewarding and memorable.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Dave

3 Years Ago

Thank you, it truly was. I've taught 5th through 8th grade. 8th graders were the BEST!! They alw.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 23, 2021
Last Updated on March 23, 2021

Author

Dave
Dave

Bridgewater, NJ



About
David B. Pincus I am a retired teacher. I have taught in grades 5th-8th in New Jersey. I am married and have two grown daughters and four grandsons. I enjoy playing tennis and traveling. With m.. more..

Writing
Strange Visitor Strange Visitor

A Story by Dave


Cabin on the Lake Cabin on the Lake

A Story by Dave


Swept Away Swept Away

A Poem by Dave



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..