A More Pleasant You (rewrite)

A More Pleasant You (rewrite)

A Story by MattressDuToit-Apostate
"

It's not fun. I's not intended to be, just a mirror. I've re-written this more than once. Read it and maybe i'll get the spark I was looking for.

"

            Recently I suffered an unpleasant conversation with a close friend. Although this is very unfortunate, it’s made me ponder on why friends subject each other to their raw emotions. This includes both sober and intoxicated states. Raw emotions are always reactive and illogical. Should we not aspire to express ourselves constructively and with deep consideration when we are speaking to those we care about?

Have you ever treated a friend poorly and with immediate regret? If yes then; What the f**k is wrong with you?! Well unfortunately you’re like most people who if are not considered children, are simply bigger egotistic children that are even more confused than the previous day. My purpose is not to simply point out our common flaws but for you to forgive yourself. The truth is that you never had a chance. Your parents did not f**k you up. They are not responsible for your actions, regardless of how horrible they were. Do you agree? Does it piss you off? If we thought it to be true, we could then take full responsibility for our lives. Excuses are for other people. They don't really fly when you're alone.

We're rarely brought up by fully mature, selfless and logical human beings. We’re brought up by us… and we generally are, however well meaning, ill-equipped to handle others with such complicated psyches. We are all in essence; children raising children.

            When in a persons life would they be better equipped to raise children properly?  Unfortunately it would be “never” for most people. Ideally the best time would be when the potential parent has had time to reflect upon their own life, their own up-bringing, and their role in this world. Then, of course, spending quite a lot of time philosophizing on how they would raise these hypothetical children.

            Unfortunately by that time, women are at the near end of their child barring years. So what's the alternative? Keep popping kids out in our twenties and letting them fend for themselves when society tells us that they are now adults? I think we'd have to cause a major sociological upheaval in the way our communities encourage and view our purpose for living.

            Teach philosophy beginning in grade school? Throw out contemporary religion with its anti-science mindset, intolerant belief system, and its consistence hypocrisy?  Put an emphasis on the betterment of ourselves and our world? Put personal accomplishment back in the front of our goal oriented mindset? Put the truly gifted on the covers of magazines rather than someone who pretended to be someone else for 7 million dollars? Would you want your child to be an actor or a doctor?

            We elevate those who have a major imbalance between working hard and the money that they receive. Young men and women buy cars that they cannot afford. They wear clothes thinking that they are always in a fashion show. We fill them with self-esteem instead of self-worth. We encourage narcissism above humility.

            What could we do to change things? Ask questions? Teach philosophy beginning in grade school? Throw out contemporary religion with its anti-science mindset, intolerant belief system, and its consistence hypocrisy?  Put an emphasis on the betterment of self and our world? Put personal accomplishment back in the front of our goal oriented mindset? Put the truly gifted on our magazine covers? Would you rather read about someone that keeps your drinking water clean than someone that pretended to someone else for 7 million dollars? Would you want your child to be an actor or a doctor? Who are our heroes? Remember what “hero” really means? Realize that our government is run by an actual social class and not our peers? Realize that racism will die if we just let it? Why are Martin Luther King Juniors’ words not more readily quoted than any musician? Why do we quote Gandhi and Mother Teresa without researching them ourselves and finding that we probably would never had shaken their hands? (This could go on a while so I’ll stop it here.)

            We elevate those who have a major imbalance between working hard and the money that they receive. Young men and women buy cars that they cannot afford. They wear clothes thinking that they are always in a fashion show. We fill them with self-esteem instead of self-worth. We encourage narcissism above humility. Football players and actors are entertainers and used as a distraction from the real problems in the world. Sometimes we need a break but it seems when we are not working or sleeping, we are bombarded with distractions. There is barely enough room in our brain to think about the starving and oppressed. The internet brought us closer together and shows us our naked world but then hypnotizes up with entertainment.

            So what are we supposed to do? Talk to each other? Force the conversations if we have to? Freedom of Speech exists for this reason. Learn as much as possible. Get people talking. Keep people talking. Don’t let them forget. They’ll get mad. People often get angry when you make them think and rethink their beliefs. Do not stop. Bring your children up with an honest and naked view of the world. Do not spare their feelings. Do not spare them the ugly truth of the world. Remember that you are not raising children, you are raising adults.


© 2015 MattressDuToit-Apostate


Author's Note

MattressDuToit-Apostate
grammar, maybe some issues. This is intended just to make the brain spark a bit. I ended up deleting half of it when I was uploading. Hope my memory is good:)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

828 Views
Added on July 1, 2015
Last Updated on July 1, 2015
Tags: Philosophy, children, parenting

Author

MattressDuToit-Apostate
MattressDuToit-Apostate

Glendale, AZ



About
I'm here to share my writing and connect with contemporaries. My refocusing on writing, for me, is a fairly new endevour. I could be considered an artist due to my interest and abilities to paint, dra.. more..

Writing