Saving

Saving

A Story by Maxi Belamie

That day when I walked into the flat, I was greeted with loud music blasting from the TV and very sulking Michael.
He was sitting in the old lounge chair that faced the window, with arms crossed over his chest, lips pressed together firmly and brow drawn into tight frown. He glanced at me when he heard me walk in but quickly looked away and all but huffed. He was so childlike sometimes, the thought made me smile.
- Hello, Michael.
- Hello. - he grumbled.
Placing my things on the small coffee table I noticed the book lying beside it, open, obviously tossed away. It was the old copy of "The Old Man and the Sea" that my dad gave me. I gave it to Michael.
Picking it up, I closed it gently and turned to him.
- I take it you didn't like this one. - I said, showing the book to him.
Immediately, anger and stubbornness shone in his dark eyes.
- That book is mean! - he exclaimed, waving his hands in the air, scoffing, then crossing them over his chest again.
- I didn't know books could be mean.
- You're laughing at me! - he gasped.
I couldn't help it. I grinned.
- That book is boring and horrible. - he stated firmly, jumped out of chair and started pacing- The old man is fighting the fish the entire book and all in vain. For what? For sharks to eat it all! That is just mean!

I looked up at his big form. He was getting bigger every day now. His shoulders were broader, his arms more muscular, his cheekbones and jaw sharper. He looked strong. But as he paced in front of me, angered because of the unfairness of one book, I could see the vulnerable boy hidden inside.
- What do you think is the point of this book? - I asked calmly, unfazed by his outburst.
- The point is that sharks are mean and the book is mean! - he cried out and dropped down next to me.
- Maybe the point is in fighting, you know? - I brushed his hair away from his eyes- In trying your hardest and not giving up...
- But it's all for nothing. He couldn't defend it. He couldn't save the fish... - his voice turned raspy and he looked down.
I gave his a moment and just sat there in silence.
Michael stayed quiet for so long, with his forearms resting on his knees, his shoulders slumped and head down. Then he took a deep breath and looked up at me, all kinds of emotion crossing over his face, but sadness staying in his dark eyes.

- Do you think I'm like the fish? - he asked, his voice barely a whisper.

It truly is incredible
, I thought, how in a few words he can reveal more than years of torture and violent interrogating ever could.
 

© 2015 Maxi Belamie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Punch line at the story's end is strong. Even though I haven't read "The Old Man and the Sea" the story is still thought-provoking; short and to the point as well. I think if I had read "The Old Man.." it would mean more.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maxi Belamie

8 Years Ago

Thanks, read "The Old Man and the Sea" when you find the time, it's not really mean :))
An interesting tale, thought provoking!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

150 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 5, 2015
Last Updated on July 5, 2015

Author

Maxi Belamie
Maxi Belamie

Belgrade , Serbia



About
Friend. Sister. Daughter. Lover. Fighter. Bad artist. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Maxi Belamie