The Moment

The Moment

A Poem by Melanie Jane Boicourt Shanks

 

Worrying about the past and trying to turn back the clock,

is like trying to put a key in a combination lock.

Fretting over the future, over what tomorrow might bring,

is like mouthing all of the words when you really want to sing.

Living in the present day, the moment is all that matters.

Accepting All as part of you, all your lonliness scatters.

 

M.J.S.

© 2008 Melanie Jane Boicourt Shanks


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Now you caught me from the beginning of this one but the middle is where i felt it..
"Fretting over the future,
over what tomorrow might bring,
is like mouthing all of the words
when you really want to sing."

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i did like the poem and the rhyme, but did you mean 'excepting'. it may have been what you wanted, but i believe that except means something like "the boy likes everything except cherry." i figured you intended the last line to be 'Accepting all...'

i thought you would mean that you want them to be a part of you so you welcome them. please let me know if i am wrong. i might even be wrong about the word usage. very sorry if i am. im not perfect. either way, please let me know.

nice write. thank you for posting it.

-doug-

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The flow in this poem is a little choppy, my head keeps wanting to run right through the comma in the second line. The same in most of the other lines. Were you going for any poem format? I could be wrong, but the last lines sound like a couplet. I really liked what you have done, but I think that if you played with the formatting of the poem - not with the words or the punctuation necessarily, you could make it sound and look very modern while still obeying all formal rules of rhyming poetry. But it's all up to you, so best of luck and keep writing :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very well said and excellent message with great rhyming.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this one a lot. It is a good message and something I have been trying hard to do lately : Living in the present day/the moment is all that matters/Excepting All as part of you

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Now you caught me from the beginning of this one but the middle is where i felt it..
"Fretting over the future,
over what tomorrow might bring,
is like mouthing all of the words
when you really want to sing."

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2008
Last Updated on February 19, 2008

Author

Melanie Jane Boicourt Shanks
Melanie Jane Boicourt Shanks

Fort Wayne, IN



About
I have been writing since I knew how. Before that I would just draw pictures to tell a story. My true passion is poetic lyrics. That is mostly what I am inspired to write. I have been dabbling in othe.. more..

Writing