False Hope

False Hope

A Story by Melissa Kester
"

This is a short story.

"
            I stood in the middle of the woods, seeing only trees and bushes and soil in front of me. I took a slow, deep breath in, savoring the scents that came to me: pine, earth, and ocean. I closed my eyes and listened. I could hear the breeze rustling the autumn leaves above me. I could hear the ocean waves not too far away. I could hear the little sounds of birds and woodland creatures scurrying around. It was such a peaceful place. I turned around and saw myself standing in front of a small cottage. On the patio sat a swinging chair, a glass table, and a potted plant. There were wind chimes hung around the whole front of the house. One window dominated the front, as well as the red door. I stepped forward, hearing the crunch of earth and leaves under my bare feet. When I reached the front door, I hesitated at the handle. This place seemed familiar, and yet I was sure I’d never been here before. Somehow, I had an odd sense of comfort.

            I twisted the door handle, letting the door fall open slowly, revealing a small living area. The place felt warm and cozy. A fireplace lit up the whole room, giving a wonderful glow to the golden paint on the walls. A cherry oak bookshelf, filled with books sat in the far corner. A red love seat sat in the middle of the room, facing the fire, and blended well with the deep red of the carpets. I stepped inside and let my toes curl through the softness of the carpet as I walked further into the room, taking everything in. A hallway led off to my right. I followed it, not entirely knowing what lay in the last room. I walked past the first door, seeing it was a small and simple bedroom with very minimal furniture other than a bed. The second door was a small, white bathroom. I slowed as I came to the last door, which was only slightly cracked open. I took a deep breath and slowly pushed open the door.

            The room was filled with color and warmth. The bed was done in shades of greens and blues, which contrasted wonderfully with the gold and red. There were candles lit on each table on either side of the bed, as well as on the dresser on the opposite wall. I stepped in further and felt a strange warmth surround me. I stood at the foot of the bed. Suddenly, the heat in the room shifted to one spot behind me. Someone I knew, someone I loved very much, stood behind me. I didn’t turn around, couldn’t turn around. I felt him move toward me, until there were only a few inches between us and it felt like a fire burned at my back.

            Then, in the sweet, seductive, sexy voice he has, he said, “Turn around.” I closed my eyes and took another deep breath in an attempt to calm the fires raging inside me, but to no avail, and I turned around. I kept my eyes shut tight, knowing if I opened them, he wouldn’t be standing there, like so many times before. He let out a small giggle and said “Open your eyes, love.” I shook my head, breathing in the scent of him, enjoying what I had while I had it. He took my chin between his thumb and forefinger and lifted my face up. He was so close, I could feel his breath on my face as he spoke, “Open your eyes. I promise I will still be here.” All I could do was trust him, but with doubts filling my thoughts, I still hesitated a moment. I found the courage, and slowly opened my eyes and saw his ocean deep blue eyes staring straight back into mine. I could have wept with joy at that moment. I flung my arms around him in the tightest embrace I could muster, with laughter exploding from me. He took my face between his hands and held me still, staring into my eyes and said, “I told you so.” Before I knew it, his lips were on mine, claiming me completely, and filling my soul with warmth and love and everything wonderful in the world. His hands moved to my waist and he pulled me closer to him, as my arms found a place around his neck and my hands in his hair. Desire surged as our kiss deepened and our tongues explored each other’s mouths.

I was just about out of breath when he pulled away from me and ended the kiss as abruptly as he had started it. When I opened my eyes, I met nothing. My arms, which were just a moment ago holding onto a strong man, were now suspended in thin air. The candles in the room had been blown out and the light and the warmth from the room had gone completely. I stood in shock for a moment, then as realization hit, I dropped to my knees and began to sob. He was gone.

© 2016 Melissa Kester


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow thanks for this wonderful dream poem. what a dream you had...thanks again. good luck in the competition.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Melissa Kester

5 Years Ago

Thank you! :)
wow! this is beautiful and i swear I can imagine it . TOO GOOD MAN !

Posted 6 Years Ago


Melissa Kester

6 Years Ago

Oh wow. Thank you so much. That means the world to me that someone can read this and become a part o.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

381 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 1, 2016
Last Updated on April 1, 2016