Crush

Crush

A Story by MelissaAndres
"

This is a story about a young girl working at a flower shop who meets a handsome young man and the crush that develops. Realizing there is more to life than looks she begins to examine her life.

"

Pacey stood behind the counter filing her nails.  She yawned as the bell attached to the door jangled.  It’d been a long afternoon.  She was missing the game but needed money.  Wren and Oriana didn’t understand all the hours at the florist’s shop. They came from money; still, Pacey’d been welcomed into their circle of privilege.


The young man, not much older than her seventeen years, sauntered in, a grimy bucket in his hand.


“Telma here?” He flashed a perfect smile.


Pacey felt warmth creep into her cheeks.  “Umm, she’s in the …” She pointed.


“Storeroom?”  He leaned on the counter, smacking his chewing gum.  Emerald-green eyes sparkled.  Pacey’s blush deepened.


“Yuh huh, in the store, uh, storeroom.”


“Thanks.”  He smacked and popped his gum as he turned.


“Pacey,” she said with sudden confidence.  “Name’s Pacey.”  She couldn’t believe she’d been so bold.


“This’s Corin.”  Telma Watkins announced as she emerged from the storeroom.  “He’s my nephew.  I hired him for that patch work.”


Pacey tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.  “They knocked a hole in the wall delivering the new refrigerator.”  Her hands were shaking.


Corin Rogers tugged on his tee-shirt and wiped his palms on tattered blue jeans.  The awkward movements made him seem more endearing, if that was possible.


Telma pinched her nephew’s cheeks.  “Isn’t he cute?”


“Aunt Telma, please. Can you show me the wall?”


“Straight back.”  Pacey tilted her head.  “Can’t miss it.”  Her giggle became shrill.  She stopped herself; an uncomfortable silence filling the room.


Corin popped his chewing gum again.  “Thanks.”  He winked at the swooning girl and traipsed into the room to begin his project.


Pacey sighed.


Unlocking a drawer in a file cabinet, Telma removed a purse and extracted a wallet.  “Here’s Corin as a baby.  I made the patchwork quilt he’s on. I never had children.  Corin’s the closest thing.  We were disappointed he didn’t go to college but we’re glad he’s working.  He’s a good kid.”


“And gorgeous.”  Pacey sucked in a gasp.  She couldn’t believe she’d uttered the words aloud.


“You two would make a good couple.”  Telma tapped at her chin, thinking.


The front bell jangled again and an elderly man ambled inside.


“You take care of this customer while I get some paperwork done.”


Pacey helped the gentleman select an arrangement of peach-colored roses interspersed with baby’s breath and greenery.


“My bride and I are celebrating our fifty-eighth anniversary.”  The customer scratched his bald head.  “You gotta special someone?”


“No,” Pacey rang up the purchase.  “Afraid not.”


Adjusting his bifocals, the man noticed someone in a tee-shirt standing in the doorway leading from the showroom.  The boy had a curious look on his face.  He pulled his head quickly out of sight.


“Thanks, dear.”  The customer patted Pacey’s hand.  “I’ve a feeling your special someone’s just around the corner.”


“Congratulations on your anniversary. I’m sure your wife’ll love these.”


As the bell jangled indicating the customer had exited, Pacey picked up her phone.  “Oriana!  Is Wren with you?”


“Of course she is.  She’s right here.  Is something wrong?”


“No.  But you both gotta get here ASAP!  Believe me; it’ll be worth your while.”


“Its halftime and we’re losing.  We’ll leave shortly.”


“Okay but hurry.  I’m not sure how long he’ll be here.”


Pacey busied herself by organizing the card rack, refilling the ribbon drawer and watering plants.


Corin walked through the showroom and gazed out the plate-glass window.


“Not leaving are you?”  Pacey wanted to kick herself.  Disappointment was too evident in her voice.


“Not yet, Pacey.   Just looking.”  He turned and walked back to the storeroom.


Joy and adrenaline coursed through Pacey’s veins.


As the bell jangled, the teenager thought she’d jump from her skin.  Wren and Oriana, hair perfect, makeup impeccable and mini-skirts sharply pleated, rushed into the shop.


“Shhh.”  Pacey stuck a finger to her lips.  “Follow me.”


The girls snuck toward the open door and spied on the male working the patch job.  Muscles rippled as he ran his fingers through his brown hair and wiped his brow.


“He’s my boss’ nephew.”


Corin turned.  “Ladies.”  He nodded and stood momentarily in all his gum-smacking glory before returning to his job.


Wren, Oriana and Pacey ran behind the counter.


“He’s gorgeous!”  Oriana mouthed.


“If Keegan dumps me give that guy my number.”  Wren fluttered dark eyelashes.


“He’s not gonna dump you,” Oriana exclaimed.


“I know.”  Wren looked at her manicured fingernails.


“Besides, you’d have to fight me for him.”


Pacey thought her friends sounded serious.


“What about Caleb?”


“Caleb and I’ve only been out three times,” Oriana said.


“He adores you.”  Wren gushed.


“I know.”  Both girls laughed.


Watching the shallow spectacle, Pacey felt badly for the pair.  Why had she never noticed they were so deeply into looks?  Was she being that way about Corin?


“Guys, we’re gonna be closing soon.  I gotta clean, count my cash drawer and stuff.”


“Too bad.  We wanted to ogle your friend longer.”  Wren craned her neck to peek back into the storeroom.


Pacey laughed.  She was conflicted.  Corin was nice-looking.  Nice-looking was an understatement.  Yet, she knew in her heart that she wanted a real relationship.  She wanted to share interests with someone, someone she could hold a conversation with, someone who had a sense of humor.  Did Wren and Oriana want those things?  She doubted it.  Did Corin want those things?


As the girls left, Corin walked into the showroom, bucket dangling from his fingertips.  “Done.”


Pacey tried to avoid his gaze.


“You and your friends were looking at me, weren’t you?”  Corin put his bucket down.


“Look, I’m sorry …”


Corin cut her off.  “No worries.”  Grabbing her hand, he pushed back her fingers.  “Here’s a souvenir.”  He removed the gum from his mouth, placed it in her palm, picked up his bucket and left.


Her brow furrowed in confusion.  What the heck?


“He asked for your number.”  Telma Watkins smiled.  “Hope you don’t mind that I gave it to him.”

© 2015 MelissaAndres


Author's Note

MelissaAndres
Please give an overall review on this short story. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

If I had been in Telma's place, I would have pinched myself at least a dozen times, just to make sure it wasn't a dream. Cupid must've fired a bunch of arrows that day for things to fall in place so easily. Nice work, Melissa.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Sam! I'm glad you liked my little teen crush story!
This story was so cute - especially the ending! It made me smile :)

I like how the story was a snapshot of Pacey, but I could still relate to her. I felt like she was very realistic. Good job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Lanie! I am glad you enjoyed it! :)
Lanie Nickel

8 Years Ago

Your're very welcome! :)
MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

:), Lanie!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Zoe
This is really cute! I think you should add just a little more detail to balance out all the dialogue, though

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and commenting, Zoe. I really appreciate it.
Nice story! NOt only teens but adults as well get the hang of this charismatic world.
All sparkling things are not gold.
Gripping and smooth.
Liked it!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jyoti_Ablaze

8 Years Ago

You are welcome.
MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Glad I could portray a message.
Jyoti_Ablaze

8 Years Ago

Yes you did.
Haha the ending was cute. Overall, another great piece of work, Melissa. :) I really enjoy your style of writing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Oh, thank you, Kimberly! That means so much to me! I am glad you liked this! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 7, 2015
Last Updated on September 7, 2015
Tags: patchwork, chewing gum, florist, souvenir, young adult, crush, teenagers, working, flower shop, handsome

Author

MelissaAndres
MelissaAndres

Fort Worth, TX



About
Hi! My name's Melissa and I love to read and write! I am married to a wonderful guy named Mark and have a grown son and step-son and five beautiful grandchildren. I no longer work outside the home .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by MelissaAndres


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by MelissaAndres



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic


Catharsis Catharsis

A Story by Philip Muls