What Doesn't Kill You

What Doesn't Kill You

A Poem by Allison Faith Melton

What doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger right? Wrong. Where did we get into this mindset that every time something threatens to destroy us we only come out stronger? I’m still recovering from things that threatened to destroy me years ago. When did we get into this mindset that we always have to be strong? Break down and cry when you need to. Don’t get into that mindset that you always have to be strong, because you don’t. What doesn’t kill you doesn’t always make you stronger. Sometimes it destroys you to a point where it takes a lifetime to build yourself back up, and that’s okay.

© 2016 Allison Faith Melton


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very true point... it isn't necessary that every struggle will make us stronger right after the struggle finishes, it can take a long time leaving us broken but it will make us stronger ultimately.... to feel broken when life breaks us is not a bad thing, it only makes us human.... very thought provoking point.... full ratings...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very thought-provoking idea, indeed. We spread so much ideals that are promoted as 'positive' but they could very be fragile and down-right a fallacy; nice one.

Posted 8 Years Ago


You have beautifully dismembered one of the silly clichés that just aren't true.

Posted 8 Years Ago


You're so right, Allison. Proverbs are not always right and sometimes they are even so wrong. It's very good if it's true now and then for the person in question, but most of the times something, a part of us dies. Really good prose poem. :) Rudi

Posted 8 Years Ago


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Wow... What a wonderful insight. You have exposed the heart of a matter and an erroneous way of thinking as well as a cliche that is not necessarily helpful. There are things that you never really get over. And sometimes, that is the way it needs to be. Wolf_Lord ,'', ^@@^ ,'', But my frns call me Wolf.

Posted 8 Years Ago


You are right. I agree. Something stay with us forever.
"Sometimes it destroys you to a point where it takes a lifetime to build yourself back up, and that’s okay. "
There are soft sins and permanent sin. Permanent sin stayed with us. In a way a lesson, not to repeat. I enjoyed your thoughts and logic in the poetry. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


Very true point... it isn't necessary that every struggle will make us stronger right after the struggle finishes, it can take a long time leaving us broken but it will make us stronger ultimately.... to feel broken when life breaks us is not a bad thing, it only makes us human.... very thought provoking point.... full ratings...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

307 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 23, 2016
Last Updated on March 24, 2016


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..