A Halcyon Bore

A Halcyon Bore

A Poem by Trevor Bushey
"

Existential concession.

"
Ptolemy's system, the geocentric model  
of the universe had no regard for  
the egocentric body at its mired middle.  
I lay on an abysmal body, a placid lake, 
amongst the pantheon of stars;  
I've my own myth, synonymous with Trevor.  
It's propounded by kin and kind around a sun,  
some perceptible distance away,  
as they indulge in marshmallows and smores.  
My stomach's gravity beckons me to shore.  
What's heliocentric is a halcyon bore.

© 2013 Trevor Bushey


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

As an exercise in articulacy, I can`t criticise this piece ....and it has a self-mocking wit about it I enjoy, but as a piece of poetry I think it lacks cohesion. I think part of it is the capitalisation of each line. P.

Posted 11 Years Ago


To be someone other than who we are.. Would we find the same set of problems, or a new set? Periods of stagnation come and go in any life. Even the ocean experiences true flat calm on occasion. I think perhaps it is our lot in life to never quite reach absolute fulfillment in all that we do. For if we did, we would stop striving to better ourselves as human beings and just flat line.

Very thought provoking write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


i think no matter what life we live, we always yearn for another...and often live outside ourselves in order not to be bored with what life we are born to.

blue skies are beautiful and peaceful, but even that gets old after awhile and we need some stormy weather as contrast.

do like those smores though.

nice writing.

i like your voice, my only criticism, though slight, is that sometimes the words (although you have a great vocabulary) feel a little forced...and i would like to see a more natural feel to the poem...as if it flowed out rather than being pushed out a bit too hard in spots.

but that's me...and may get much disagreement to that comment.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Trevor Bushey

11 Years Ago

By our natures we are disposed to do more than want another to complement our capacity to see, to kn.. read more
Trevor Bushey

11 Years Ago

Shrewd perception, Jacob.
jacob erin-cilberto

11 Years Ago

thanks, Trevor...
I love how you refer to the earth in this piece as the "egocentric body at its mired middle". Setting aside the very loose interpretation of the word "mired" in this instance, I think it's a clever line.

I found a blog a couple months ago called Trevor's Myth ;-) Just saying...

The title of this piece intrigues me. Are we talking the drug? Do the effects of the drug cause boredom? Are we talking halcyon days, which may not cause most people boredom but they do you? I'm fascinated by the entire write...but the title really makes me sit back and think a bit, which I love.

Thank you for posting such an interesting piece. I will be certain to keep you in my radar ;-) I am enjoying your voice so far. I look forward to reading more.

-kimmer

Posted 11 Years Ago


Trevor Bushey

11 Years Ago

The egocentric body is analogous to my existence; I submit the notion that I am the "mired middle". .. read more
Trevor Bushey

11 Years Ago

Thanks for the generous rating, by the way!
KAOlmsted

11 Years Ago

I was just reading your response to what jacob ( a friend of mine) had to say and I couldn't help no.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 5, 2013
Last Updated on June 30, 2013

Author

Trevor Bushey
Trevor Bushey

Canada



About
A poetaster who primarily utilizes his capacity to write to pacify the pangs of his pragmatic conscience. Pitiful, practical, pithy. Will you appraise one of my poems? more..

Writing
Privy Privy

A Poem by Trevor Bushey



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


DeathLoop DeathLoop

A Poem by BlueDreams


dear mom dear mom

A Poem by quinfinn