The Old Joke

The Old Joke

A Story by Epipsychologist
"

Perhaps too true for some people, myself included

"

The Old Joke

 

            An alcoholic walks into a bar. He sees his ex-wife there, flirting with other men, showing that she can do better than him. He sees her gaining custody of the kids. He sees them growing to hate him, as though with each drink he’d watered them to that end. He sees his friends parting, some staying for another round, others heading out with awkward smiles, already pensive. He sees his former self, laughing a bit too loudly when the music takes a break and heads turn to see what’s so funny. In short, his life passes before his eyes, not flashing, but dwindling like a fluorescent light in a hospital he hasn't seen yet.

            He also sees the life in the clinking of drinks and friends reunited. He sees the romances that never would have happened had he left before last call, and the way that the music still plays as the sleepy eyes of couples make an effort to catch each other, lest their smiles should droop too, and then their love.

            He grabs a seat at the bar, and the bartender says, “What’ll it be, Jake?”

            Jake counts his cash, and stashes what he doesn’t need in his pocket.

            “How bout a dark and stormy, Jake,” the man responds, and the two Jake’s smile at the old joke that isn’t really a joke.

            Bartender Jake says, “I’ve got a new one,” as he passes Jake his drink.

            “What’s that?” Jake asks.

            “A priest and a rabbi walk into a bar. They begin playing a game of quarters. After a while, the game gets more and more heated, until they’re both at each others throats. They begin tussling at each others’ holy clothes and slapping each others’ bald spots and whatnot, and the bartender asks, ‘Hey what’s the big idea?’ and they both say, ‘That’s what were arguing about.”

            “That’s a pretty good one,” Jake says, and the bartender accepts the compliment in lieu of a tip.

            So it goes. Jake continues to drink, and the bartender tells him jokes, and Jake pays him what compliments he can. And at the end of the night Bartender Jake walks Alcoholic Jake to his crumbly brick apartment, one Jake hanging on or falling off of the other, and Bartender Jake says,

            “Y’know Jake, if you ever need help I’m here for you.”

            Alcoholic Jake is touched, and he says

            “Why do you think I'm always at the bar?”

© 2013 Epipsychologist


Author's Note

Epipsychologist
It's been a while, But I'll definitely check out the work of anyone who comments.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

excellent irony. sometimes the bartender does help a person by being there to listen to their problems...and since jake's life sucks he goes to see the bartender to get his mind off his problems. a little confusing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Epipsychologist

10 Years Ago

Thanks Mockingbird.

I had a hard time with the last line, actually, and I think that ma.. read more
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
On a more serious notes, I like the spare writing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Epipsychologist

10 Years Ago

Thanks Christoph,
I wanted to write something short enough that people would see the whole th.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
the ending really made me smile, though i felt its a sad case for Jake the alcoholic, while Jake the bartender seems really a good guy... I think Jake the alcoholic is just being witty, on the ending, he really needs help without the alcohol... :) I really do enjoyed the story my friend, its good to read from you again... you have a very clever plot in here... good job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Epipsychologist

10 Years Ago

Thanks Pax. Plot is the main thing I was going for, and trying to put a twist on the old "a man walk.. read more
I haven't seen your work in a long time. I thought you closed out your profile. Anyway, I'm glad to see you on here again. I'm not sure what this story means...doesn't make me feel happy or sad or, really, confused...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Epipsychologist

10 Years Ago

Hey Marie,
Sorry for taking so long to respond to this. I'm glad to see you again too.
.. read more
Cool story. It kinda makes me feel... I dunno. Sad? Happy? Confused (yes)? Can't tell. Alcoholic Jake doesn't seem all that bad, I wonder why his kids would hate him?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Epipsychologist

10 Years Ago

Thanks, I kind of wanted this story to be a little bit merry and a little bit sad. The old joke is a.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

263 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 25, 2013
Last Updated on September 27, 2013
Tags: Bar jokes

Author

Epipsychologist
Epipsychologist

Chester, PA



About
I'm heavily interested and influenced by psychology. I also appreciate philosophy although I haven't taken any courses since high school. I believe a good writer should want desperately and insatiably.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..