The Quest for the Cup

The Quest for the Cup

A Story by Mica
"

Something small I wrote for a journal entry on deviantART, so nothing too profound ^_^

"
And so it begins.

The Bruins, ending the season boasting an impressive, 49-29-4 (102 pt) record, are set to open their championship defense this Thursday against the Washington Capitals.

And what a season it has been.

From their hangover days of October, through their historic run of November and December, to the infuriating inconsistencies heralded in by the new year, and down to their peak during the final stretch of the season, the Bruins have made a legitimate case as to why they could be the first team to repeat in a while.

Then again, the New York Rangers have also made a name for themselves this year, and the Pittsburgh Penguins have again turned in a consistently impressive performance. The Philadelphia Flyers are also hungry again, out looking to prove themselves in lieu of their Stanley Cup final defeat two years ago at the hands of the Chicago Blackhawks, and last year's lackluster performance against Boston in the conference semifinals. In the west, the Vancouver Canucks showed the league why they made it to the Finals last time around, and teams like the St. Louis Blues and Detroit Red Wings had historic performances of their own to brag about.

But the Bruins more than anyone know what it will take to win it all again, and as they enter the second season with the recent/impending return of a number of key players, they find themselves noted as genuine contenders against the other hyped up teams.

And while Tim Thomas' numbers did not match the Vezina-quality stats he produced last year, he's still an elite goaltender, and he's fronted by a team somewhat more shored up on defense and more potent on offense than last year's squad.

Is it their year again?
Can it be their year again?
Only time will tell.

But I must say, going into my third year watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs, if there's one thing I've learned, it's that nothing's guaranteed.

Up 3-0 against the Philadelphia Flyers does not guarantee a series victory, or even a game 7 victory for that matter.

Heading into game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals on the road when every game in that series has been won by the home team does not guarantee the home team will win, or even score a single goal.

Anything could happen, and therein lies the attraction that is the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

It's a great time for hockey.

© 2012 Mica


Author's Note

Mica
Again, this was more intended as a journal entry/post of sorts, but I figured I'd put it here too to help keep what sportswriting I do collected...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

306 Views
Added on April 8, 2012
Last Updated on April 8, 2012
Tags: boston bruins, hockey, nhl, sports

Author

Mica
Mica

New England



About
I don't write much. I try, but in the end, I can never express my feelings well enough to be heard. I'm hoping to change that, maybe through the writing of poems. I'm one of those people that gets .. more..

Writing
Boston Strong Boston Strong

A Story by Mica


The Descent The Descent

A Poem by Mica


Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Mica