Cordelia

Cordelia

A Story by Bambam

“Nothing rhymes with your name”, the old lady said. In front of the warm chimney, Cordelia stared at the window as the wind howled louder every second. The old lady left and chose to sail the blizzard, leaving her in great confusion about the words she just said. Cordelia noticed that the lady had a moon locket on, which she found captivating and elegant. She sat on the sea-colored carpet contemplating her chaotic life. When she was little, she was dumped by a man covered with mud and blood and was found in the woods near a busted, venerable inn in the town of Roseley. Since then, Cordelia was accepted by the owner and she grew up savant and courageous. The one thing she had that reminded her of her mom was a sea necklace. One time while reading a book, she was astonished when there was a small town called Westerport, whose lifestyle is to find jewels in the sea. Reading with delighted breaths, Cordelia packed her stuff to journey to the town of Westernport.

The distance between Roseley and Westernport is miles away from each other, but Cordelia is determined because the moment she read that book, it was like a calling by the seas. Each day was exhausting but nothing stopped a passion for what you really want. Cordelia was headed to the last province before reaching Westernport. Within the vicinity of the county appeared a short man walking with crutches on. The mayor, an old and grumpy sage, stared through her soul with curious eyes. “You look just like your mother, those azure eyes never lie”, he said it softly at the edge of the cliff and beyond that cliff, and you can already witness the vast sea of Westernport. To show the mayor’s gratitude, he gave Cordelia a locket and said “you shall open this locket at when the moon is at its brightest”. Leaving with a joyous smile, she hugged the mayor to continue his journey towards Westerport. Cordelia has reached the town early in the morning, but everything felt empty, everyone felt empty. The sea looked different from the cliff, the sea looked dull and forlorn. One by one, people started to crowd Cordelia and from there, they started to realize something. One villager brought a book called “The Jewel” and from there, everyone’s faces were filled with hope. Because of the sudden swarm, she had no time to digest all of it at once, Cordelia ran towards the lighthouse. Isolated and muted, she fell asleep. Disturbed by the sounds of the seagulls circling the lighthouse, Cordelia stood up went to the edge of the village.

The warm breeze of the summer night helped her ease her mind. She reached out for the book that led her at this town and started to read its final chapters. Page by page, she could feel goosebumps. “The locket is the key to your past”, the book ended there but then she remembered that the mayor gave her a locket and said that she should open it at exactly midnight. Before the clock struck midnight, a shadow of a lady started to lurk towards her, and that was the same lady who left her confused with the quote “nothing rhymes with your name” and the old lady said “You are the lost jewel that this town is seeking for,” and from the horizon, a human-like figure started to rise from the water and took the locket away from her. Glowing with blinding light, the locket exploded into stardust and the withered sea turned into a stunning navy blue color and started glistening because of the moonlight. Cordelia could hear everyone in town cheering with joy and appreciation. The lady started to walk towards her and said gently “I’m sorry, daughter” and Cordelia replied softly “Thank you mom for coming back for me,” as they hugged the night away, the sea and the moon were always destined to meet at the town of Westernport.

© 2019 Bambam


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

20 Views
Added on August 6, 2019
Last Updated on August 6, 2019

Author

Bambam
Bambam

Philippines



About
Hello!! welcome huhu more..

Writing
View of Life View of Life

A Story by Bambam


Prism of Life Prism of Life

A Poem by Bambam