The wrong address

The wrong address

A Story by Michael
"

Thanksgiving dinner

"
“Hey Don, can I ask you something?” asked Victor.

“Ya sure Vic, what’s up?” replied Donald

“My lovely wife Kim wanted me to ask, if you and Sarah would do us the honor and join our family for Thanksgiving this year” Victor asked, “Well, I want you two to come as well” he reassured, then went on to say,

“I know you do not know us all that well, Donald” “I just transferred to this department two months ago, and you have been a very good friend and coworker" explained Victor

"Would you consider having Thanksgiving dinner with us, on such short notice?” Victor then asked.

“I would love to Vic, and Kim just adores your wife Sarah, but we have plans already, I am very sorry" "Please do not take it personal” Donald explained.

“That’s understandable, and hey, maybe next year” replied Victor with hopefulness.

“I never told you about the night me and Sarah's lives were changed by a small error on my part, did I? Donald asked.

“No, I don’t think so” replied Victor with a puzzled look.

“AHHH” Donald gestured, then joked, “You probably have work to do, so maybe la...”

“No you don’t Don, sit your tail back down and tell me” interrupted Victor as he blocked the exit of the break room.

“Ok, Victor” smiled Donald.

“Six years ago, almost to the day” Donald explained, “Sarah and I were invited to Thanksgiving by one of her coworkers, and" "Well" "We winded up at the wrong house.

“I don’t follow” stated Victor.

“The address was 233 Wilson Lane, and I had put 233 Wilson Rd into my GPS” explained Donald, “So when we arrived at the house, and knocked at the door.”

“Yes, go on” Victor said.

“The dear sweet old woman who answered the door" "Naturally we thought she was Donna’s mother, after all, she invited us in” Donald explained.

“Donna is Sarah’s coworker, the one who invited us over” Donald explained then took a drink off his soda, then continued,
“I can still remember the first time we down sat at her table, as if it were yesterday” smiled Donald.

“You are making no sense Donald” Vic said with a very puzzled look on his face.

“You see Vic, we winded up at the wrong house, it was only after we talked to the woman for a while, did we realize that” Donald explained.

“It also became very clear that she, Mrs. Fredricks is her name, would make a full Thanksgiving dinner every year, and every year she would eat alone” Donald further explained.

“Why did she do that?” “Didn’t she have family?” asked Victor

“No Vic, she did not” “She was unable to have kids and her husband died ten years ago.” replied Donald.

“So what your telling me is you went to the wrong house and celebrated Thanksgiving with a total stranger and have been doing that every year, since?” asked Victor

“Yes Victor, yes we have, except that she isn’t a total stranger to us now, we call her Mom” smiled Donald.

“Don?” asked Victor.

“Yes” replied Donald.

“Do you think Mrs. Fredricks would mind if me, Kim and the kids were to come this year?” “We will bring the turkey” nervously asked Victor.

“Oh, I do not think Mom would mind one bit” smiled Donald.
“But you don’t have to worry about the food, she makes quite a feast”
“Enough to feed an army” explained Donald.

“Vic?” asked Donald.

“Yes Don” replied Victor.

“See you Sunday” “Its 233 Wilson LANE” “Be there at 3:30pm” smiled Donald.

“How about, we meet at your house and just follow you guys?” asked Victor, then stated “I already know where you live.”

“Sure thing” smiled Donald.

© 2011 Michael


Author's Note

Michael
Thanks for reading

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

365 Views
Added on March 13, 2011
Last Updated on March 14, 2011
Tags: short story

Author

Michael
Michael

OH



About
Welcome to my world. Disclaimer.. Don't expect much when viewing my work, I am very new to writing. more..

Writing
Dirty Needles Dirty Needles

A Story by Michael


Apple Pie Apple Pie

A Story by Michael