Not Too Cold

Not Too Cold

A Story by Marcel Grant
"

The pessimist and the optimist make the best flavors.

"

Not Too Cold




“So,” I start. “Strawberry huh?”

“Double scoop please!" I hear Marie tell the bored ice cream worker behind the stand. The Ice Cream girl has curly blond hair, is an older teenager and wears way too much eye makeup. She's kinda good looking, but in that self important way that I hate. She has one hand near her pocket, and I swear I can see the glow of her cell phone through her apron.

"Right, double scoop of strawberry, and I'll have ... pistachio? Yeah, pistachio please," I say not nearly as enthusiastically, reaching into my own pockets to scrap together the few dollars I have.

"Double scoop also?" the distracted worker asks in a monotone voice.

"Yeah. Sure."

Marie looks over at me and smiles and grabs my shoulder and then shakes it intensely, all in like, two seconds.

I'm kind of looking away from her and feel a little nervous, since we've only been dating for two weeks. Or, wait has it been three already?

Three weeks. Our relationship is starting to get serious. After all most kids in middle school only last a few days.

"It's gonna be ten dollars and ... sixty six cents." The girl is squinting at the cash register, like the numbers are some foreign language.

I blink though when I hear the cost.

Looking down at the dollars I've assembled into my hand, I do a quick count and find I'm about a dollar short. Sighing, I place a hand up to the back of my neck and mumble to my girlfriend, asking if she has any money. The boy is always supposed to have enough money for the date, just in case, right? I don't know if I'm doing this right, but I’m pretty sure I’m not.

Marie though is already shifting through her light blue purse, moving past her iPhone, makeup and whatever else girls carry around in their bags to pull out a five dollar bill. It was so crisp and new, that I swore she was packing an ATM machine in that small purse of hers. She hands the fin to the cashier, and receives the change.

We get our ice cream in the next few minutes, and somehow I feel like I've been ripped off, because these scoops are less than a pathetic snow ball in size. We move into the booth next to the window, where traffic is screaming past on the road and people walk toward their next destination to fill their unfulfilled day.

"Here," Marie says with a mouth full, having taken a bite - not a lick, a bite- out of her ice cream. "Here's what I owe you."

I blink as I stare at the change.

"What?"

"Yeah, the change, you paid for almost all of it." She looks slightly disappointed as she says that, but there's appreciation in her eyes too I think. I guess I did something important. The boyfriend who bought her the double scoop of strawberry ice cream which I know is her favorite.

"Thanks," I reply.

"You feel okay? You seem a little distracted," she says to me.

"Yeah, I'm okay. I'm just wondering..." But I stop suddenly, realizing that despite the annoying little traits I keep finding, from the loud cars, to the pieces of gum under our table and that annoying cashier who stands there all day and doesn't care while right behind all that ice cream �" all that doesn’t matter too much. Because, I'm with a good friend whose happy if I just enjoy my desert.

"I mean… I'm thinking, that we should do this again next week," I tell her. And despite being a little chilly right now on the inside, my face warms as she smiles back and starts to make plans for our next date.

 

© 2015 Marcel Grant


Author's Note

Marcel Grant
I dunno where I came up with this, but I thought it was cute. :B

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice write.... Nowadays girls prefer to go dutch on dates and feel equal to the guys only if they contribute to the costs. Nice to hear that you've got date number two lined up with Marie. Keep us posted on how it goes.... Your story line is simple and sweet.....

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marcel Grant

8 Years Ago

Thanks a lot! I wasn't thinking to write a sequel but maybe now I will? Lol
Hey boys are meant to be the easy going ones aren't they!? :D This is a sweet story and I enjoyed it a lot. We all know that feeling of wanting everything to be just perfect... when in reality things will never be perfect and they don't need to be either if you're with the right company.
Thanks for sharing.
:)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marcel Grant

8 Years Ago

You're very welcome! c:
I love this so much. It's so adorable. Especially when he feels bad for asking his girlfriend for money because he feels like the guy should always have to pay. You can sense he doesn't want to mess the relationship up, when in reality she honestly doesn't think much of it and is just happy eating ice cream with him.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marcel Grant

8 Years Ago

Glad you liked it xD
Gabrielle Linch

8 Years Ago

And I'm glad you wrote it! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

236 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 10, 2015
Last Updated on May 10, 2015
Tags: Slice of Life, One-Shot, Romance, Cute

Author

Marcel Grant
Marcel Grant

SC



About
I'm 22, and have always loved reading since I was a kid. I've been writing since I was fourteen and really enjoy it, though I doubt I'm any good. If you get a chance, please read some of my work an.. more..

Writing