A new life

A new life

A Chapter by Emily, the very dark

A New Life.

    My life had been split again, making it even harder to concentrate in another new school, especially one that was as high up like Cordell High School. With all of their fancy over paid teachers, snot nosed brats and overpriced books. This was making my life a living hell.
    “Come now Ambrose, you are going to survive this school. If you do not stop frowning you will leave a permanent line there.” Zarah said smoothing out the crease in my forehead.
    “Give it a break, you know how much they will torment me! Could you have sent me back to Hanshaw? Their were people of my own kind! Geeks, smart kids, not one’s who have parents who will pay off teachers to send their little angles to the next grade! It is not fair for the kids who earned it.” I sighed pulling on a shirt to match my shoes.
    She smiled lovingly at me as I laced up my shoes.
    “You wear too much black.” She chuckled handing me my three-fourths trench coat. It was my favorite coat and she got me a new one ever year.
    When I was done listening to her fashion ideas for me I rushed out to my car with only five minutes to get up the mountain to the school. Which was twenty minutes away!
    
    “Ah Miss Vesta Von Tempest. How are you today? Your mother called in and said you were going to be a little late.” A big haired woman at the front desk said with a smile on her face. Zarah was nothing like a mother to me, no she was that cool aunt who knew how to soil and be fun at the same time.
    “Yes, thank you for getting my schedule and papers sorted out. I am okay without help around.” I told her kindly as she got up, but then she sat back down with a smile.
    “Good luck, here is a token of gratitude that you are able to find your way five floors up.” She placed a map on top of the papers and sent me on my way to my locker.
    The class was on the top floor of this glass school! On one side of the hall there were lockers and the other was a long full sized glass mirror. That was how ever hall was until I got to the staircase which had glass on both sides as you went up. It was beautiful how a small thing could made the beautiful mountains look like a dream. This was something I never expected.
    “Eh hem, miss you should be in class not sight seeing.” A deep voice growled.
    I looked up to see a man, he was older, short stubby no hair. Looked like a science teacher.
    “Yeah.” I muttered walking up the last stretch of the stairs to another hall. At the end of the hall was my class with only twenty students!
    “Ah, class this must be Vesta Von Tempest. Good you could make it.” The man at the chalk board said in a heavy accent, Romanian. Just my luck someone who knew about the family.
    “Thanks.” I sighed and he gave me a look that said my suspicions were right, he knew my family somewhat.
    “Why don’t you tell us about yourself. Where are you from? Why are you here?” His voice was taunting, the fall of the Tempest family.
    “Petty.” I scoffed to him. “Romania, and I moved here with my aunt.” I said as bluntly as I could.
    “Good, now you may sit in the last open table. Salvator make room for our new student you too Alec.” He snapped placing me in-between his two favorite students I presumed. From the way I looked at it, he was a snappy teacher and no one liked him too much. They were all eying my as if I was fresh meat.
    “Tell me what all do you know about Physics?” He said almost as a pop quiz.
    “I already took this last year, this is the highest class for juniors.” I said in his same tone.
    “Well, then we will have to get this figured out then, see me after class.” That was it.

    All through class the guys next to me said not one word. No hello, my name is or even a glance to me. I knew what they smelled and I smelled it too. We were going to make this school so much more fun for everyone.
    Class got over and I stayed.
    Mr. Bastion went over to the door and closed it.
    “Where’s your father? Mother?” He asked in a weak voice.
    “They died, didn’t you get the funeral invite? It was splendid, about fifteen years ago too.” My voice cut deep. My parents got what was given to them.
    “No, the last I heard, you were born and then that was it. Zarah had told me you would be coming here. She and I are cousins not from you side of the family the other side.” He was now dearly upset.
    “Well, they meant nothing to me as I was a baby that they left in the care of the sister of the father and then left to go die.” I said without emotion at all.
    “You are a vile little girl! If your father were here he would not have taken that, not ever.” He said disgusted.
    “He’s not so I have more. My opinion and the family legacy, what a good thing.” My voice darkened.
    “Run along, I will be seeing you for dinner anyway’s Zarah invited me over.” He smiled.
    
    The next few classes flew by and no one seemed to care for me, it was the way I liked it. Salvator was in most of my classes. He was tall dark and hot. I didn’t know why he was so ignorant and ignored me, but I didn’t pay attention to him either.
    “Okay, be sure to have those in by tomorrow.” Ms. Hash said then dismissed us for lunch.
    On my way out I caught Salvator watching me. His eyes were hidden but they were there. When I walked over to meet him someone cut me off and then he was gone.
    Mr. Bastion was in his office at lunch grading papers when I walked in.
    “If it isn’t the tongue herself, what do you need?” He asked.
    “To know about a specific student, Salvator. You placed me next to him this morning.” I said setting a chair in front of his desk.
    “Ah, young love. Zarah would love to hear this now wouldn’t she.” He thought out loud. “Well he is one of the richest kids here, said to be in the mob. His parents are nowhere to be found and he reminds me of you a little when you were young.” He reminisced.
    “How do you now what I was like as a child?” I demanded.
    “I met you when you were a little devil. Your sixth birthday. Your parent’s must have been dead then, but I didn’t know, just thought you were staying with Zarah for a while. But you were so sweet then. The years must have taken that away from you.” His voice seemed taunting.
    “You get that way when people don’t care to much for your family in Romania. Thats why we left. Zarah said it would be better here. It’s been ten years, we left after my sixth birthday and now we are here after many years. I went to boarding schools and was uniformed. Got into trouble there with a teacher, he...” I was cut off by a door opening.
    Salvator. He he.
    “Ah, the topic of the day, young Salvator, what can I do for you?” He asked and I thought of ways to poison his food.
    “Oh, well your busy, I guess I could come back.” He turned but Mr. Bastion stopped him.
    “Nonsense. come, come. What do you need to ask. Va-” I stood up and glared at him with my devil eye as he almost said that name.
    “I should be leaving now. See you tonight, Zarah will think this is very sparingly won’t she.” I snarled at him walking out quickly and then outside to cool off.
    My whole body shook as I got control over my emotions as they took off. I never liked the name my parents gave me, I took the name my grandmother gave me before we left and she died. Ambrose, or Vesta as they call me for short. Vayle reminded me too much of them, my beautiful mother and her shining night in armor, that was what it was until they had me. Zarah said everything changed, they were in love with each other still, but a baby seemed too much for them at the time. They gave me to her and ran away, they were killed by some people who were already in deep six.
    School was already restarted as I went back inside and up to my locker.    
    “You should be so luck to have a cousin who adores you.” Someone murmured and I turned around seeing him again.
    “What do you want?” I snapped grabbing my bag.
    “To talk for a moment, how much more trouble can you get into for already being late?” He asked sincerely.
    My mouth twisted into a smile even though I willed it not to.
    “Why are you so... Against your name?” He asked as we walked.
    “What is it to a rich snob with no parents?” I rebounded.
    Both of us stopped.
    “Rich snob meets an even richer snob.” He laughed.
    Our eyes met and he nodded to the window.
    When I looked I saw the whole mountain from this view. Evert divot, valley and lake was visible from this height. My eyes opened widely in shock as I saw this sight. It was nothing like on the stairs, nothing close. It was the most beautiful this in the world.
    “You have never seen anything like this have you?” He asked and I shook my head silently stepping towards the glass.
    “Will you answer my question?”
    “I don’t have parents, I had parents but the died many years ago running from their only child they left with his sister.” I said silently, still fixed on the view as I studied the mountains and their architecture with my finger.
    “Mine were never here. I have the money they send.” His voice was ice cold and sent a shiver into my spine as he was behind me.
    I turned my nose skimming his.
    Out eyes locked in a knowing look as he brushed my cheek.
    “You are the same as me.” He breathed looking at my shimmering eyes.
    I nodded as my heart raced from the feel of his hand on my cheek.
    “Why are you running from yourself, there is no freedom there.” He told me resting his hand on the window behind me.
    “I am not running only suppressing.” My voice quivered at the thought of unleashing the beast that lied within.
    He jerked his head in a ‘follow me’ gesture. I was hesitant at first but agreed to follow his steady pace.
    
    We had walked outside and to the woods as far as we could to be out of sight from the school and the students before he started talking to me. His voice was deep and dangerous as he spoke.
    “We are not meant to make our bodies hungry in many way’s. If you fight your hinger it will take you to the extreme Vayle. Even someone as powerful and full of life as you. Do not overestimate you capability’s to any extent. It will kill you.”
    I stood there not knowing what to expect next.
    “I will not feed off of the innocent lives that we are meant to. So if you expect me to because my life is at risk then think again. I am stronger than you think, much stronger.” I spat.
    His hand went into a little pouch and brought out a single vile. Red in color and liquid. My mouth watered as I smelled the fragrance. It surrounded me in clouds and went into my system like a drug.
    “Yes, this is how I live, off of theses small but potent things, that is how we all should live.” He tossed the vile to me and I caught it right above my head.
    My mouth watered and I smiled, but the happiness was short live. There was always a catch to things like this. The vile almost dropped from my hand when I caught a hint.
    “What do you want for this?” I asked too hungry to be spiteful to him.
    “Nothing.” He whispered.
    I looked up at him in astonishment. Nothing at all?
    Before he could say anything about it I carefully undid the top and dropped a single drop onto my tongue. My whole body collapsed as I tried to keep control over my feeding. It was hard not to drink it all in a single gulp, but I managed. He watched me the entire time as I drank calmly. His eyes assessing every move I made.
    “Keep that. You will need it if you want a refill tomorrow.” Blood two days in a row, that was different.
    “Thank you, Salvator, a lot.” I said placing my hand on his arm as we walked away a little.
    “No, don’t thank me. Your cousin Kyle there would kill me if he knew about me giving you blood. And before you had a meal. He is against it in every way, but even he must give into the temptation once in a life time. Even the purest of us must survive.” His honey sweet voice trickled into my mind making it hard to concentrate.
     As we headed back to the school slowly he talk to me about the people at the school. There were two groups here, his and then the other one which in his mind was the enemy. Though they were sworn never to fight at the school. If they did they were to take it to the woods where it would stay, if there was any chance of the flesh finding them out they would all permanently be...moved to another school.
    “What am I supposed to do about Kyle then? Tell him it was that time of my life?” I asked.
    “No, come to the tonight, in Viaticum, it’s the hang out Requiem. No body could deny you a night of fun, and meeting new people.” He said flashing his sharp teeth at me and I smiled. It was great to feel this happy after many years of barely cracking a smile.
    “I’ll see if I can. Maybe, just maybe.” I sighed looking at the time, school was almost over.
    We walked up to our lockers and grabbed out items to leave for the day. He offered me a ride home, but I had my car, so he offered to walk me out to it.
    “S**t!” I growled as it didn’t start.
    “What?” He asked.
    “Car won’t-” I looked at his innocent face.
    “What?”
    “I swear if this car can’t be fixed you  will need a life time supply of blood to keep you alive. I need a ride.” I snapped slamming the car door angrily.
    His smile was pissing me off the entire ride back to my house.
    “I didn’t do anything I promise, I swear. Pranks happen to new kids all the time. Especially when you come to school in a Jaguar. Black, hits 250 max and great gas millage, who could ask for more in a car. Besides now I know where to pick you up tonight. Would you want me to meet your aunt to get permission for this date?” My mouth had dropped open as he rambled.
    “Whoa? Date!” I shrieked in a high pitched voice.
    “Of course, what did you expect, a friendly gathering.” He joked but then looked at me seriously.
    “Kyle thinks about you highly, he said you were different. I want to know why, I want to get to know you better Vayle. More than most people get, will you let me?” He asked looking at me from a different point of view that took me off guard.
    I nodded dumbfounded at what he had just said. No guy had ever wanted to get to know me. No person had, but he wasn’t any person he was like me along with his group and the other one.
    “Come one, we must go talk to Zarah.” He said opening my door.
    He held out his hand like a prince and I saw Zarah with her nose pressed to the window.
    “No.” I murmured hinting to the window but he insisted, so I took it.
    “I am going to be a total gentleman.” He bragged opening the door for me.
    Zarah took in the sight and I wanted to scream.
    “Oh lord! Who have we here, the guy who has guts to tango with the viper. Well, young man spit out your name!” She laughed teasing me, it didn’t offend me though made me laugh.
    “Salvator, I just wanted to come in and ask your permission if I would be able to take Vesta out tonight, I know Kyle is coming over, but I have an upstairs VIP pass that I was all but willing to give to Vesta with your permission.” His voice was purely sweet and she took it, then came the look.
    “Of course you can take her for the evening. What time are you picking her up at?” She asked.
    “Eight.” He smiled, midnight. The time when the blood pull was hard to ignore. Some resisted others fed, but not like me and Zarah, we slept.
    “Sounds fine, I want her back by two. There won’t be any... Blood right?” He asked gravely looking at me and I shook my head no. Blood to one of us was like alcohol to a human, but we were more powerful, and are able to do more. There is also no side effects, just pure power.
    “Good, she will be ready and gorgeous I promise.” She giggled as he left.
    “Please no, god save me!” I cried out with a laugh as she pulled me upstairs to shower.

    After showering and letting her dress me in a robe for the time being, she went to work on my hair. It was all the way down my back so she curled it elegantly and placed some of it in a clip and let the res bounce around my shoulders.
    When she was done with the hairspray she then went onto my face. Brushes were everywhere. Face, neck and even arms. Her skills were getting the better of me as I relaxed and closed my eyes to let her work better. As she progressed I noticed this very girly feeling arise in me.
    “Come, we must find you something to wear. Do you know where your going?” She asked.
    “Requiem, that’s what he said. I think it’s in town.” I shrugged and she had a wide smile on her face.
    “What?” I asked.
    “That is a very up top club, I’ve only been there maybe twice. People there must get an invite to go and VIP, who is he? Mafia, secret service, or a spy?” She loved mysteries and would turn anything she could into a conspiracy, including lost keys the last roll of paper towels and oh god not the end of her eyeliner on the special date she had planned!
    “No just a guy I met today. Kyle likes him, he seems to moderately like me, I said what the hell and now were going on a date. It’s not that big.” I protested as she pulled a red strapless shirt over my head and tied the back up.
    “Come now, you must look the part you are. We are meant to be beautiful people, to be praised for our looks. That is the one thing you never did, now is your time to shine. Let people see how beautiful you are. Don’t put on that tough act you try and portray all the time, let someone in. You need to if your ever going to find love.” She said with such passion that I was afraid!
    It was a fear not of her, but of being alone.
    “Here we go, put these on and the heels.” She commanded.
    The pants were long and tight, but they fight perfectly. The dark blue and red matched along with the black lacy heels that she put me into.
    “You look so gorgeous, your long black hair finally curled and your eyes are sparkling. How you glow love.” He kissed me on the cheek as she gave me a black leather jacket that looked like it could withstand a bullet.
    “Thank you Zarah, I couldn’t have done this without you.” I said hugging her as we walked downstairs.
    Knock Knock.
    Zarah rushed to the door as I put on my coat.
    “Oh, it’s you.” She said to Kyle without interest and blew him off as she looked out the door.
    “Salvator is coming in, give him a moment.” He hissed to her and she closed the door.
    “Fine.” She grunted.
    They both watched me as I sat down at the kitchen table.
    “So, you and Salvator?” Kyle asked looking at me.
    “No, it’s just a date. He wants me to meet some of his friends!” I exclaimed.
    “Don’t get too embarrassed then, because he looks like he was in for more.” Zarah whispered as he knocked.
    My face flushed as she opened the door to him in his slightly opened button up top and black slacks.
    “Hey, are you all re-” he stopped and stared at me for a moment.
    “Told you.” She said elbowing him in the arm.
    “Can we please go before she flashes a picture.” I demanded in a nice tone.
    “Hold on, got to play parents here. Your’s sure are not.” Kyle said looking at Zarah who smiled.
    “You know no one would notice if this shirt was ant redder.” I smiled showing my fangs to them.
    “Now young lady, play nice with the other kids.” Zarah said scolding me.
    “Bye!” I crooned looking at her lovingly as I took Salvator’s hand and walked us out to his car.
    He opened my door again and left me get in first.
    As he got in he watched me zip up my coat.
    “You look lovely, she was right. But you didn’t have to dress up.” He said with a smile.
    “Thank’s.”  I blushed.
    “Hey, tonights about fun and dancing. Let go of yourself and have a good time okay?” He asked handing me a vile that was half full.
    I took it and drank the last of it. There was a slight taste, I thought it was his!
    
    The club was an hour drive from our small town.
    “They don’t know your coming. If there is any trouble with anyone come and get me. Promise?”
    I nodded. “What are you to them?” I asked.
    “Alpha. Top dog, such as the strongest wolf would be the alpha to his pack, I am the alpha to mine. We run like the wolves, fight as good as them. Never have we fought against them.” He explained in a way that seemed to make sense to me somehow.
    “Oh, I have never lived like that. Always on my own never looking up to someone.” I admitted with a cautious laugh.
    “But your family? Were they not a line of pure Alpha blood?” He asked.
    “Yes, but after most of my family died we stopped and went into an almost fetus position. The power was going away from us and into other hands. My father and mother were supposedly the last two alphas of any of the Von Tempest covens. I am the only true alpha blood left, the only full blooded alpha.” I had the power to bend people, the power to start a new coven, but I did not, I would not.
    “I herd. Why do you reject your gift? To have that would be amazing to people who do not get it. I am almost full blooded alpha, my uncle decided to marry a mere flesh, he was banned from any family will, or heiracy. He is no longer a part of the family because he loved.” I knew how he felt, if my family had ever had a choice I wouldn’t have any say to the will. Not now at least.
    We pulled into the parking garage and someone took the car to a spot.
    “Here we go. Remember no trouble or come add get me.” He reminded me.
    “I will play kindly with the other children for now, it’s not me you have to worry about.” I smirked.

    Upstairs was a totally different place than the downstairs. The floors were fully functional, and there were less people but still much dancing.
    “Come, we are over here.” He murmured guiding me through the people.
    The table had nine or ten people at it. Adults and teens alike. They all had the same expression on as they looked at Salvator’s grip on my hand.
    “Remember.” He looked to them. “As you may know already there is a new girl at our school. I thought it would be nice for everyone to meet her. This is Vesta Von Tempest. She will be joining us for as long as she stays here. I hope you all are going to be human to her.” Everyone laughed at the joke, but there was tension in the air as we sat down.
    A girl was on one side of me and Salvator on the other.
    “Hey Vesta, I’m Samantha. Sal over there must have a thing for you to bring you to the night hot spot.” She giggled bumping me lightly.
    “Oh does he now.” I exclaimed looking at him playfully and he smiled.
    “Sure does.” A deep voice said.
    A tall man with dark hair and even darker eyes said with a menacing look on his face.
    All the laughing stopped and they grew quiet.
    “Father, what are you doing here?” Salvator asked.
    “I herd Von Tempest was in town and wanted to meet her. We all knew her father around here. Her mother too. They were famous for their ability to create reason among the unreasonable. She is luck to be here under theses circumstances.” There was a threat hidden there, but I found it.
    “Nice to meet you too. I am Vesta Von Tempest, you must be Salvator’s father.” My voice cracked a little at the end.
    “I know your real name, don’t give me a half blood name Vayle. I was there when they chose your name. So was Salvator, he was too young to remember, but he was there. Your mother chose out your name especially for you.” He reprimanded the look in his eye’s said something was weird with him and my mother.
    “She is dead both physically and mentally, no need to bring up the past.” He locked eyes with me and I smiled.
    “Just like her too.” His laugh boomed.
    Salvator took a sigh of relief as we walked away from the scene.
    “Where was my help there macho man?” I demanded as we walked to the dance floor.
    “That was my father. I didn’t know he would be here. That was unexpected, but you do seem to bring much of attention to people who know you. Stay away from him okay? He has a different standard for the way his children run a coven, pack what ever you want to call it. My brothers are vile to women in ever way.” He spat as he danced in front of me.
    “So was my father. But he defied his father and married my mother, not for fun but because he loved her.” I sighed remembering one good thing about them. How even though they were forbid to marry they still did out of love and everyone was made to except the fact that they were in love.
    I got closer to him and danced to the beat of the music. The pulse went through my body controlling me in every way. Salvator had his hands on my waist and guided my movements to match his.
     People joined in our dancing eagerly. He seemed to be the hot topic of the night in the way he controlled everyone. How girls were dying to be with him in every way. They fought over him! I laughed when a group of girls walked up and started to dance around him. I felt no remorse for scaring them away.    
    “Aw jealous?” He teased stroking my cheek as we went to sit down.
    “No, just this is my date not theirs.” I said with as much dignity as I could with the goofy smile I had on my face.
    “Do you want a drink?” He asked.
    “Sure.” I sighed.
    Before he got up someone was sitting with us.
    “Children, no need. I already brought some.” His father was back.
    “Marcus, I was just about to get them.” He said inhaling the sweet smell.
    Blood in cups, what was he doing?
    “Come now, we are all civilized, drink up.” He smiled sliding our cups over and then leaving.
    We both sat there for a moment debating. One cup couldn’t do a lot to either of us, we already had a vile and a half today. Our bodies adjusted.
    “Leave them here. I need to go talk to Talon, he is the only one who can keep tabs on Marcus.” He said pulling me up and away from the blood.
    He was in a back room.
    The room was big and made out of dark gray stones, a table was laid out in the middle of the room with three chairs. One behind the table and one in front of it.
    “Salvator.” He nodded once to him and then turned to me. “The lovely Vesta, it is so god to meet you, I guessed you and our Salvator would meet eventually.” He laughed loudly and gestured for us to sit. I sat down on one of the couches  and Salvator sat next to me.
    “Marcus is here. Something must be up for him to come this close to you. Do you know why he is here Talon?”
    A baffled expression crossed his face as he looked at Salvator.
    “Yes, but is he here?” He retorted.
    “Most defiantly, Salvator, I am here in the flesh. But not for you.” Why?
    “Marcus, I told you not to come here!” Talon growled loudly.
    “Brother, come now. All I want is the heir here. She was not supposed to come this close to my territory. Her father had a deal with me, none of their family was aloud to be on our borders.” He snarled pointing to me.
    Talon glanced at Salvator.
    “Marcus, she is harmless. She is no longer a Tempest pack alpha.” Salvator said carefully.
    Both of them turned to us. What was he doing? My only question that lingered on my mind as it was quiet. Tension was in the air, so tight that you could probably reach out and cut it.
    “What are you saying boy?” Marcus demanded.
    “She is now part of our pack, and that means you can touch a single hair on her head.” He spat at him and a pissed look crossed his face.
    “You herd the boy Marcus, those words mean goodbye in my book.” Talon’s voice was smug as he got rid of him.
    
    After about an hour of sitting there frozen in silence and tension I was tired of this.
    “What did you tell him?” I asked.
    Salvator looked down.
    “Tell me.” I demanded.
    “You are now either staying here, or when your scent crosses that border in any way Marcus will track you down and kill you. He has the intention to kill you to gain your family land and become the heir to something powerful. You are very unique, the only pure blooded one of us left, next to my family of course.” Talon’s eyes flicked to Salvator’s still body.
    “What?”
    “You are now a Vlast’ congratulation.” My heart stopped and I stood up.
    “You mean, in a coven? Like with others?” I asked curiously.
    He nodded.
    My childlike curiosity seemed to be amusing him so I shook my head and took myself out o the shock. Either I was to be apart of his coven or I was going to be killed, that was a big choice. Zarah wouldn’t like this at all.
    “She will have to leave child. She is about as safe as you are here, you would not want her hurt right?” Talon asked as I fell onto the couch.
    My heart was crushed then and there. I could never part form Zarah, ever. She was the one who raised me for all those years after my parents left. She clothed me, fed me and taught me how to be the way I was.
    “Think about it. Talk to her and tell her what is happening. We will be expecting you tomorrow, be ready for pick up.” His voice was grave as he got up and left Salvator and I there on the couch.
    Moments passed and Zarah was on my mind. I could never endanger her like this.
    “I’m sorry. I was selfish, I never though about her.” He muttered pacing around.
    “Yes, but it is also my fault. We must get to Zarah!” I cried jumping up as I saw her flash through my mind. She was calling out to me!
    “What?” He demanded as I dragged him out.
    “Something is wrong! She is in trouble.” I was sobbing now as I saw her face.
    He ran to the car and started it quickly.
    The ride home was too much for me to handle. I couldn’t sit still and Zarah was on my mind the entire time. She was either gone or...
    
    When we finally got to my house I didn’t wait for the car to stop my feet were already hitting the pavement.
    Inside there was no noise. Slowly I walked around the house looking for any signs of life. She was nowhere. All the rooms were empty, but something was off. Just slightly off.
    My bedroom door was cracked too far!
    “Zarah?” I said opening the door to a nightmarish sight. Zarah was dead on my bed. Her body was ashes and her cloths were still there. It was horrific as I fell to my knee’s crying.
    “I hate you.” I sobbed hitting the floor with my fists.
    “Oh god.” Salvator sucked in a breath.
    I couldn’t handle seeing her like this. It was too much for such a good person as she was. Everyone came before her in every way. How could anyone kill her like this.
    “I am going to kill him. His heart will beat no more when I am done with him.” I stammered getting up.
    My legs shook as I tried to walk down the stairs.
    “Shhh, it’s going to be okay. Everything will be okay.” He repeated over and over again as I cried out. She was gone now, dead to the world.
    “I hate them.” I whispered as my tears slowed down. My face was buried in his shirt as he rocked me gently. Our hands were intertwined as I tried to clam down. Everywhere I could see her ashes.
    “It will be okay. Were gong to keep you safe from then I promise. Nothing is going to hurt you ever.” He brushed my hair away from my face and picked me up.
    
    We drove far out of town and up the mountain’s.
    He told me where he lived was far away from people. To keep everyone there safe from temptation until they were okay with the smells. All the people were under him and Talon, either they followed or left. No one would leave ever knowing they were protected here and were able to live almost humanly.
    We pulled up to a brown log house.
    “Are you going to be okay going in there?” He asked.
    “Yes.” I replied monotoned as I whipped the last tears from my face.
    He led the way into the house. Talon sat at a desk with Marcus. Instantly I was prepared to kill him. To avenge Zarah when Talon grabbed my arm and held me still.
    “He must die.” I said my full potential was out there now. I was to mad to control myself and I let go of my humanity to become a True Blood.
    Everything went black.
    “Keep her eyes covered, if she can’t see then she wont be able to harm anyone.” Talon said quickly.
    “Let me go!” I screamed.
    “Vayle, listen to me he did not kill her.” Talon’s hands were on my face and I was held still but still struggled.
    “He killed her!” Growling I swung my head without any progress made.
    “No he did not. Listen to me Vayle, calm down or we will have to make you clam down.” He said in a soothing voice that made me think. My head cleared and I felt the monster inside of me crawl back into it’s cage as I willed it to. It made me tired to take it out, my body shook furiously.
    “Keep her up, she need’s to hear this.” Marcus said as they took the blind fold off of my eyes.
    Salvator held me around the waist to keep me up, but my eyes drooped.
    “He wasn’t at the club tonight. We all knew there was something wrong with him. That was because it was not Marcus, he would never give his son blood. Not in that dose at least. It was a shadow who played as him. He said he fought one a while back before you came Vayle. It took a chunk out of his shoulder and that was how it became him last night. It used up it’s only piece of him impersonating him then killing Zarah.” My heart jerked as he said it, reminding me in my subconscious state that she wasn’t with me anymore.
    I shook again.
    “Can’t this wait until she has slept? Don’t you think that her seeing Zarah...is good for her?” Salvator demanded waving his free arm.
    Everyone was quiet.
    “Okay, let her sleep, but it is on you where she will. We do not have any extra beds.”
    I felt someone pick me up and I started to fall asleep.
    “Keep...safe...it...long...night.” everything was coming into my head in pieces as I got it.
    We walked a distance before going through a door. The  up stairs to another door. I heard something open and then I felt a soft lining. A sheet was placed over me and it went dark.

    We love you. Vayle, please never think bad of the family again. If you only knew what they felt. I do, everything is different now. You have found a place where you belong. Don’t give that up easily. Love and be happy, that’s what we all want for you now. Do not fight him, he loves you now and will never stop. My Vayle, my daughter. I’m so sorry. I love you and Zarah loves you.

    I opened my eyes to darkness. Tears had streaked my face. My mother talked to me, in my sleep. She had done that so many years ago. When I was a child, before I turned emotionless, before I knew about what had happened. When I was still able to love her with all of my heart. In a time that I cant remember anymore without think hard, she told me every night that she loved me and kissed me. After I woke up I could still feel the kiss on my cheek as if it was still there.
    My face was warm as tears went across it. The silky pillow was also streaked with my tears as I cried harder and harder for all the hate I had.
    “Are you okay?” Someone asked opening to lid and light flooded me blinding me for a moment.
    “No, I'm not.” I said as tears still flowed.
    Salvator laid down next to me and pulled me into him. His scent engulfed me again and made me cry harder for my mother who knew more than me about my life. For her never knowing how much I wished she was with me right now. For the first time in years I cried for my mother and didn’t get her. She would never be there again. Never hold me, even in my dreams, she was just a voice in my dreams that haunted me.
    “This is going to be hard. You will get through it, both of us will.” He sighed pulling th lid closed.
    I cried myself into a slumber yet again.

    Everywhere was green and brown. The ground beneath me was solid and the trees were too. I was wondering where I was when it hit me that this wasn’t where I was before I went to sleep.
    “Vayle.” Someone crooned.
    I turned to see Zarah and someone else.    
    “Zarah!” I cried running into her arms.
    “There there child. You are okay, we are all okay, come let me show you.” She said taking me somewhere else.
    People were all around me, dressed all the same but differently. Their faces had similarities and reminded me of Zarah in some way or another. It must have been the whole family.
    “Yes, this is your entire family, all the way back to the beginning. Everyone of them is here because of you. When you cry we all cry, you are now the controller of the family life. You are the last living soul there is of us. Whenever you need us we will be here. For now when you sleep, but when you learn how to you will see us more and more. Maybe one day you will be able to bring us all back. But that is not for a while.” Zarah sighed showing me all of the people who were in this room.
    It looked like a castle that was back in Romania, dark walls and lit halls. It was all so familiar.
    “There is someone who want’s to see you if you are okay with it.” She said leading me into another room.
    A woman stood there waiting for us.
    “Mom.” I breathed as she took a stride towards me.
    “Vayle, you are here.” She said happily.
    I shied away for a moment when she hugged me, but melted in her arms when I remembered her touch was good. Her smell was the same as I remembered. Everything about her was the same. The way her eye’s sparkled when she laughed and the way she smiled whenever.
    “Where is he Sarah?” Zarah asked her.
    “Right here.” Someone said.
    “Vladrik, you didn’t need to bring her here today. Not after seeing me last night.” Zarah spat at him.
    “No now Zarah, Vayle has someone to meet.” Mom said smiling.
    When I turned I saw a dark haired man. He stood tall and proud in a suit of black. Our eyes met and I knew he was my father. He gave me the same look I had given so many times to Zarah. He loved me.
    “Vayle, I am sorry for bringing you here so soon, but we all had to meet you.” He said hugging me. I didn’t hug back.
    “Sweetie.” Mom said.
    “He’s not dead.” I gasped feeling his heat.
    Everyone looked away from me. I knew something was up with this all.
    “If he’s not dead, then why did you tell me all those years that both of my parents were gone?” I asked Zarah angrily.
    “Because I promised my brother that you would never have to grow up knowing your father was somewhere out there. You would have wanted to know why he wasn’t there. You would have asked too many questions that would not have been able to be answered. You know everything I did for you was for your own good.” She replied sadly looking up at him as she spoke.
    My mind reeled and I felt like I was floating.
    Everyone was disappearing.

    My eyes opened slowly.
    Salvator was next to me lightly holding onto me as he slept soundly. He had given me his bed last night and was now sleeping.
    My heart was heavy knowing my father could show up any minute and take me away. I would go with him, just to know why he never took me before.
    I tightened my arms around his neck and tucked my face into his shoulder trying not think, trying to forget.
    “Your up.” He said drowsily.
    “Did I wake you?” I asked.
    “Sort of. I was drifting. It’s okay, did you get enough sleep?” He asked lightly.
    “There will never be enough sleep for me.” I sighed closing my eyes tightly.
    “One day you will know she is in a good place.” He said looking into my eyes with sorrow.    
    “I know she is. I just will never get her back.” I whispered hoarsely.
    Our bodies were twisted together as were our lives now. There was no turning back, I din’t even know if I was able to now. He was growing on me. Slowly he was, but one day we would be able to live together without all of this.
    “Are you ready to go?” He asked.
    “Yes.”
    We got up and got ready. There were cloths waiting for me in the bathroom along with shampoos and conditioners. Everything I needed was there, hair brush, toothbrush and toothpaste. The cloths were not mine neither was anything else there, but it was all new.
    “I’m going to be gone for about an hour. The door’s are all locked.” He said lightly tapping the door.
    “Thanks.” I murmured turning on the shower.

    After taking a long shower and brushing out my hair slowly, I got dressed.
    The tank top was white and moveable, the pants were light blue and skinny. Everything else was mine.
    Before I went out to the room I glanced in the mirror and saw my eyes were lighter. Not as black anymore. They were turning blue again, like the life was coming back to me in different way’s. It was slow and easy.
    “Salvator?” I yelled out as I walked out into the room.
    No one was there. The whole house was empty.
    I put on the leather coat Zarah had given me and went outside to find Talon. He would know more about my father than I.
    The roads were all dirt but flat. Everyone was inside. The kids were the only ones outside. They were all laughing and playing with one another. There was one that I noticed, she was sitting all alone watching the kids play.
    “Why are you sitting over here all alone?” I asked her.
    She looked up at me and I saw her already dark eyes.
    “Because the other kids think I’m weird.” She huffed.
    “Well, are you?” I asked sitting down next to her.
    She looked at me curiously.
    “You know, you should be happy with who you are. They might say your weird, but that means they are jealous of you. That was what a very good friend of mine always told me when people called me weird.” I chuckled.
    “Were you weird?” She retorted with a smile.
    “Among the flesh yes. I never grew up in a place like this you see. So I seemed different to them. You are growing up around people you will know for the rest of your life. They will accept you if you show them your true colors.” As I finished a ball came flying towards us and she caught it midair.
    Her eyes sparkled happily as they called her over to play catcher.
    “Thank you, by the way I’m Memory.” She said thanking me.
    “Vayle.” I said then she ran away to play.
    She was a lovely girl, her eyes were going to be light soon if she was accepted this way. So easily and without hesitation. They would accept her, I knew they would.
    “She has had a very hard life. Similar to yours.” Someone sighed.
    “How?” I asked her.
    “Her parents were killed in front of her. Not to long ago.” She said.
    “She seem’s so happy.” I replied looking at her. She was no older than me, maybe younger.
    “I’m Katrina, part of the coven here. She is under my care for the time being before I leave. We all take care of the unlucky one’s. You seem to have a way with the one’s who don’t ever talk.” She said.
    She never talked?
    “I’m Vayle. She is a beautiful child. How old is she?” I asked.
    “Almost five.” She sighed looking at her lovingly.
    “You are lucky, to get to help her along.”
    We both watched the children play with laughs a giggles. They all seemed to accept one another easily. Every one of them was different in color and age. Some looked fifteen sixteen and some looked two or three, but nobody cared about age or color here. They were so much more knowing than the flesh. The segregated people for color, and only accepted the overly average people into society as leaders. Here everyone was beautiful, flowing and loving.
    “Vayle.”
    Salvator was behind me now watching me.
    “They are so unique.” I coughed turning away as my insides heaved trying to get air in. Something was wrong. I couldn’t take a breath!
    “Vayle!” He gasped as I clutched my chest.
    “Bre-” I was gasping again.
    “Someone get Talon!” He yelled out.
    I heard someone running away as I grabbed for the air. My eyes blurred as my life drained. Everything was fading as if I were dying.
    “She’s going, what is going on!” He cried to Talon who was now over me.
    “He has her. All we can do is hope.” He said looking into my eyes as they closed and opened.    
    “Help her!”
    “I can’t, there is nothing. She must fight. She needs to be moved.”
    I was floating across the ground and then was on a soft surface before I knew it.
    
    Fight, please don’t leave me.
    “Don’t leave him Vayle.” Mom said to me.
    She has to make it.
    “He loves you with all his heart, not even I can deny him that.” My father said touching my back as something pulled me away.
    My mind tried to free itself from the thing that was holding it.
    “Come one Vayle, fight this thing. For Salvator, for all those people you can help.” Zarah said looking at me with pity in her eyes.
    I was drawn into the darkness by this thing. It scared me to think about what it was going to do with me once we were far away.
    “Die young Tempest alpha. That is all you deserve.” I screamed.
    Something dug into my skin at my back and I cried out falling.
    “No, I am stronger.” I gasped.
    “Try to fight me child, you will fail as all  the others before you have.” It laughed darkly as I cried out in pain again as it went over the cut across my back with it’s nail.
    “No.” I growled standing up.
    Blood dripped down my back as I did this.
    “Free myself.” I muttered drifting again.
    It was the same thing that happened with my family. I drifted away from my dreams.
    Come back to me, please Vayle. Everything is okay, please. Don’t leave me now, not now. He said crying.
    “Stupid fool’s.” The thing screeched.

    Please, come back.
    “She’s coming around!” Someone said happily.
    Talon was here.
    I was waking up as someone touched my face.
    “What do you guys want?” I asked groggily as everything came into vision.
    “Don’t you ever do that again.” I was pulled into a tight hug in which I returned.
    “I won’t.” I sighed smelling his sweet smell.
    Talon watched us closely and the pointed to a small figure sleeping in the chair.
    “She didn’t want to leave you either. After Katrina left, she is an extremely gifted child. She broke through to you. She said she saw what was hurting you.” He explained as she moved.
    I slowly got up and walked around for a moment to get the feeling back into my body.
    “What ever it was  it will be back. My father know’s about it and we need to find him. I don’t know where he is and I am afraid if we tell him were looking for him he will run. He doesn’t want me close to him. He is also in danger. I am leaving as soon as possible. Talon are you okay with that?” I asked.
    “Yes, what every you need we will help you get. Zarah has been removed from the house a buried properly at our site. This was about a week ago after you went out.” His statement baffled me, but there was no time for me to go thinking about a week of being out.
    “I am coming with you. Wether you like it or not.” Salvator said in a authoritative voice.
    “Me too.” Memory said sitting up tall.
    “No little one you are to stay here.” Talon said to her.
    “No, I am going too.” She glared at him, this scared even me the look she gave him.
    “Talon, I think she is onto something. If she know’s what this thing looks like and I don’t she could be of help.” Salvator said looking curiously at this little girl.
    She smiled smugly at Talon and then ran over to me and hoped into my lap.
    “You are going to be all right, we all are I know it. No matter what happens you will be okay.” She chimed hugging me tightly around the neck.
    
    We went directly back home and packed as much as we needed. My cloths were already there and I sorted through what I would and wouldn’t need.    There was a large pile of useless cloths that wouldn’t be needed for running. There was also a pile of heels that wouldn’t be needed.
    Everything was coming along greatly until we thought about beds. Memory was too young to not have one but she would live,
    “Do you think she should come?” He asked me.
    “I think so. You do, so I agree with you.” My thoughts swarmed around the fact that if she got hurt it would be my fault.
    “Okay, I think we are ready. Talon said tomorrow we leave with two other people. We are going underground. It is planned out. Memory will be our uhh, kid.” He smiled hesitantly and I waved him on. “Samantha is your best friend and Sebastian is her boyfriend. It is all going to work out. We are only ‘dating’, not married. Our ages are fairly old. Your twenty-three and I’m twenty-four.” He explained.
    “Well, as long as I can keep my name. I am happy with the situation. I am going to bed, you may join me is you wish.” I joked trying to lighten the mood as I walked over to the coffin and lifted the lid.
    I scooted over to the far side and made room for him.
    “Tomorrow we start the journey for answers. Life will never be the same for either of us you know that right?” He asked calmly pulling off his shirt.
    “Yes I know. My father is out there and I want to find him to get answers. You said you were coming and so did this little girl. You said it would be good for her to come along and we are also going with two other people as help. Nothing will be the same because I am with you now.” I said looking up at him.
    His eyes smoldered with a passion I never knew was there.
    “No.” He paused. “We have each other.”
    He leaned down and gently placed his lips on mine. It was a small thing but it was huge to me. My first kiss and the only lips I would ever let touch mine.
    “Forever. Is that even long enough?” He asked closing the lid so we could sleep.

    We both awoke early. We went about getting all the bags together in a different manor. He was more careful about not saying anything. He had also been to see Talon before I woke.
    “What did you guys talk about that so secretive?” I demanded stopping him oon his way to the truck.
    “Uh, it’s nothing really.” He was lying and I knew it.
    “So, since it’s nothing.” I gave him my most playful look and he whined a little. I knew it was working.
    “So what did you guys talk about?” I asked again getting closer.
    “Memory has drawn a picture of the thing. A very precise picture to be exact. It look’s like... It looks like my brother.” His voice dropped and I stepped back, my hand was covering my mouth as I gasped.
    “You never told me you had a brother.” I whispered.
    “He wasn’t aloud to be apart of the family after he killed so manny people. He brought havoc onto this town. It was a long time ago before I was born. He is much older now, but still is dangerous. We both have the curse of being able to make people do what we want. Bow to us if we wanted. I would never use it the way he did.”
    My hand went out to him but he had turned to go.



© 2011 Emily, the very dark


Author's Note

Emily, the very dark
a few look like spelling errors but not actualy there

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on December 15, 2011
Last Updated on December 15, 2011


Author

Emily, the very dark
Emily, the very dark

Palmer, AK



About
i am a major writer. i love to read books and write poems more..

Writing