Episode Two: Hooper's Death

Episode Two: Hooper's Death

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle
"

Some say he died of overconsumption.

"

Episode Two

Hooper’s Death

Since the time of the great revelation, a year had passed. Hooper, the neighbor’s dog, had died of what many believed to be over consumption. Others believed it to be a case of tainted clothing. A great debate over his demise went on for weeks until finally, all agreed it to be a death of convenience due to unknown causes. Whatever the case may, or may not have been, he died all the same; there was nothing more to be done about it. He fell over dead in the middle of the village square with a half-eaten woolen coat dangling from his mouth. The truth of it seems to be, he bit off a bit more than he could swallow, and everybody knows, wool does not go down nearly as easy as cotton.

Villagers from far and near came to investigate the scene, where the now deceased, and rotting corpse of Hooper, the neighbors dog, lay. For the most part, villagers were relieved to see the end of this cloth eating dog, for he had come to make quite a nuisance of himself. Women and children stayed indoors for fear of being stripped naked by the beast.

No one ever came forth to claim poor Hooper’s body, which led to further speculation as to which neighbor he belonged. It was never quite clear he was the neighbor’s dog at all. More likely than not, he strayed in from some other village, which probably cast him out after dealing with more than could be tolerated. Nonetheless, he lay there for a week, rotting in the warm summer heat. The odor became so intense that, unless faced with some dire emergency, villagers quit coming to town.

Complaints were lobbied, and village leaders came together. Finally, in a hotly debated agreement, it was decided Hooper’s body would be cremated where he lay. A date and time were set, and announced throughout the community. It was a day of great festivity. What remained of Hooper went up in a blaze of glory.

When it was done, villagers dispersed solemnly back to their homes, secure in the thought their cloths were safe.



© 2015 M.E.Lyle


Author's Note

M.E.Lyle
And this is what happens when you eat too much wool.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on September 15, 2015
Last Updated on September 21, 2015


Author

M.E.Lyle
M.E.Lyle

Wills Point, TX



About
So now I am 34 plus 40. Use the old math...it's easier. I'm an old guy who writes silly stories containing much too much dialogue. I can't help it, I just get stuck. I ride my bike trainer, our r.. more..

Writing
Meeting Kelli Meeting Kelli

A Story by M.E.Lyle


Sam Stone Hunter Sam Stone Hunter

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle


Sam Stone Fleora Sam Stone Fleora

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle