When you know you’ve done wrong

When you know you’ve done wrong

A Story by Regan Meade
"

A woman with a concussion sleeps. While in her dreams she is lost. A life is lost and a promise is made.

"

Kazira Tucker looked around her temporary room. She had the lights dimmed so that the stark whiteness of the hospital room would not be so over powering. She let her bored glacier colored eyes roam around the room. The walls were a sterile white that made the room feel cold and unlivable. There was a TV in the right corner of the room with a padded plastic green chair underneath. The was a window that over looked the North side Park fountain and across from the window was a door that led to the bath room She fingered the railings on her bed with an annoyed sigh. The M.D. had suggested that she stay overnight for observation to make sure that she didn’t have a severe concussion.

            She sighed again her pink lips pulling themselves in to a discontented frown. She had been in a car accident. It wasn’t even that bad but she had hit her head pretty hard; so the paramedics on site wanted to be sure that she hadn’t sustained any other injuries that they couldn’t see. Kazira was lucky. The accident wasn’t her fault her light had turned green and she was in the middle of the intersection when a sports car had crashed into her passenger door. Now that she thought about it, the accident was pretty bad. She pulled a blue rubber band off of her wrist and pulled back her golden brown hair into a short pony tail. The day had been so good to her. She had gotten her hair cut to her shoulders and styled with layers and she had the side sweep bangs that’s she’s been wanting for almost a year now. Well, having her hair look cute now didn’t really matter to her anymore now that she was alone.

 Another sigh escaped as she leaned back against the pillow cringing at the lack of support. She really did hate hospitals. She just couldn’t stand the place. It was supposed to be a place of healing, but with all of the death behind these walls it’s no wonder that people never wanted to stay overnight unless they have to. She shivered at the thought of spending the night at the hospital. Ever since she was a little girl she thought that there were ghosts who liked to haunt the halls; she thought that if you stayed overnight that they were the ones who made your health worse. She shook her head no time to dwell on something as trivial as that little phobia.

            She raised her hand to cover the yawn that seemed to take over. Her eyes were beginning to droop and Kazira remembered that if a person had a concussion that they shouldn’t fall asleep. So she fought it for about ten minutes but it seemed futile. She was so tired. Sleep was beginning to fog her mind and cloud her judgment. “Oh, I’ll just close my eyes for just a minute,” she yawned. “No one will care if I do that will they?” With that said Kazira closed her eyes and let her mind drift off to dream land.

***

            Opening her eyes all she saw was blue sky. “What?” She whispered to herself. “Where am I?” Kazira sat up and looked around. Her car was sitting in the middle of the intersection the passenger door caved in and the window had shattered but the pieces hadn’t fell to the ground. Pushing off the ground she brushed off her clothes and blinked in shock. She was wearing her hospital gown. Kazira stood outside her car on the asphalt. Taking in what was before her not noticing the sharp rocks digging into her bare feet.

“This is just too weird. What is going on here?” She asked looking around but the people seemed to be frozen. She walked over to the police officer who was standing by the red sports car with a note pad the driver was across from him. Looking at the driver Kazira realized that none of the people here had faces. At least not human ones, they had generic features like those of dolls. Nothing unique about them; not even their expressions. She waved her hands in front of their faces hoping to get their attention but none of them moved. “Hello! Anybody in there?” Kazira moved from person to person. “What is with this? Why is no one moving?!” But she never received an answer. She huffed in frustration. Well standing around there wasn’t going to help her find her answers. Turning on her heels Kazira walked down the street she had traveled from. Not noticing that the scene behind her turned black and disappeared fading away like dust blowing in the wind.

Kazira blinked at the new scene before her. It was one from earlier that day…when she had her fight with Damon. “Well, this should be interesting.” She took a deep breath and opened the front door to her home. She walked down the darkened hallway and into the living room. It was spacious with beige walls. Her black leather couch rested in front of a 42” plasma wall mounted TV. She looked over to the kitchen and gasped. It was Damon and herself in a heated argument.

“What are you saying!? That I slept with him?” She yelled looking at him incredulously.

“That isn’t what I’m saying! I didn’t like the way you were looking at him like a common w***e!” he yelled back grabbing her hand.

            Kazira flinched as she heard that remark. She remembered what the fight was about. She had looked at a guy in the supermarket while Damon was getting some pork chops. She had recognized the guy he was a friend from high school. She was happy that he was doing well, at least he looked to be doing well since he was dressed in an Armani suit, but Damon had come back and took the look the wrong way.

            “I recognized him from high school!” She stated shaking his hand away from her. “What am I supposed to do? Not talk to any of my old friends that I happen to recognize?” Kazira felt tears prick her eyes like needles. She was so mad then that she couldn’t even think straight. “You are my husband no my warden Damon! God. What is with you lately?”

            Damon sighed. “Kazzie that’s not what I meant! I just don’t want you around other guys but me! Wait; that didn’t come out right.” He closed his mouth with a snap and a his tired eyes gaining a dejected look.

            Kazira yanked her hands away from him and angrily turned from him. “No I think that it came out perfectly clear.” Walking away from him she turned and looked over at him, “if that’s how you want to be then I don’t think that we should be together.”

            Kazira watched herself walk away and bit back her tears. She didn’t want to remember the pain of walking away from him. It had taken everything from her to do that. She had called the best friend Arthur to tell him what had happened but all she got was his answering machine. She collapsed to the ground tears streaming from her eyes; Kazira had lost the battle over her motions. She never saw the look of understanding on Damon’s face as her world was consumed by darkness.

***

            Damon lay on the leather couch looking up at the ceiling and sighed. He really shouldn’t have blown up at Kazira earlier. It was just a misunderstanding he got all jealous and possessive. He palmed his eyes and growled in frustration, though it sounded more like a strained grunt. His shaggy brown hair shook as he sat up from the bed his pale green eyes zeroing in on his vibrating phone. He scrambled off the bed and flipped open his Motorola Razor.

            “Hello Kazira? Hello?” He paused when there was no answer. “Is anyone there?”

            “Is this Damon Tucker?” A male voice asked with a monotone.

            “Yes,” he answered hesitantly. “Who is this?”

            “This is Dr. Jerrod Henning from the King’s Ferry County Hospital. Your wife was in a car accident today.” He explained casually as if the information was common knowledge.

            “Wait what do you mean…? She got in a car accident! Is she okay?!” Damon started to panic but calmed down when he found out that she only bumped her head. Damon listened to the doctor talk a bit more about her but he wasn’t really listening. He was pulling on his carpenter pants and work boots as well as a black fitted t-shirt. He was going to go and see her, maybe even take her some extra clothes. He hung the phone up after saying good bye and grabbed the small duffel bag he had just filled with various items that she would need like her tooth brush, extra clothing, and a hair brush. He left the house locking the door, hopping into his white Ford F150 and driving to the hospital.

            The drive only lasted about 15 minutes before he was at the stop light just before the hospital. Damon took a deep breath as he waited for the light to change. He was terrified about how she was going to react seeing him after their fight. They normally spent at least a day away from each other to calm down. Damon shook his head he couldn’t believe he had called her a common w***e. What was wrong with him? Seeing the light turn green Damon began to drive forward and when he entered the intersection he failed to see the two bright head lights that were heading his way. Hearing a loud horn blaring Damon turned and his pale eyes widened as the Crete company semi-truck plowed into his car. His last thoughts before darkness consumed him and his heart stopped were of Kazira and how sorry he was.

***

             “Damon!”  She looked around with wide panicked eyes until she saw him sitting next to her bed in the padded green chair. She looked at him with tears leaking from her eyes as she covered her mouth with sobs. He was okay. Damon was okay. He was here with her. He was alive. He was safe.  The choked sounds woke him up from his light nap. Damon looked at her with worried eyes.

            “Kazzie? Honey, what’s wrong?” He moved closer to her and sat on the edge of the bed. Kazira wrapped her arms around him and clung to him like he was going to disappear. Damon wrapped his arms around her tightly and rubbed comforting circles on her back as she mumbled into his shirt about him dying and how sorry she was and that she never wanted to leave him. Damon shook his head and pulled back from her and using his left hand he tilted her chin up to look into the eyes of the woman he loved.

            “Kazira what are you talking about?”

            “I was at the house when we were arguing…got in a wreck…teenager…you were driving…a semi truck hit…you died...I can’t…” Kazira wasn’t making much sense but Damon had caught the jest of it through her broken sobs.

            “It was a dream honey. Only a dream.” He pulled her close to him laying his head on hers. “I’m not going to leave you, ever.” Damon continued to hold her until she fell asleep. He gently laid her down and got off the bed poking his head out of the door. Damon called a nurse in letting her know that Kazira had woken up hysterical but she calmed down again and was resting peacefully. The nurse, Trixxi, smiled and nodded and said that she would notify Dr. Henning. Nodding Damon went back and plopped into the uncomfortable padded chair and rubbed a hand over his face, the motion calming his rattled nerves.

It was great that Kazira had woken up but it seemed like she had no idea what happened. He had been the one in the car wreck with the teenager last year in their golden Taurus. He gently grabbed Kazira’s hand and stroked it with his thumb a small smile forming when he heard her sigh happily in her sleep. It’d been six months since Kazira was hit by the semi truck and in a coma. It seems that it haunted her even in her dreams only making it worse seeing as she thought he was the one who died. He sighed. She was announced legally dead for a minute before they revived her. He shuddered at the memory of seeing her so battered. Her face had been covered in bruises and blood was leaking from her mouth. Her seat belt had cut into her skin leaving light scars around her collar bone. Damon shook his head. He wasn’t going to think about that now. He gently brushed her bangs away from her face his hand lingering against her cheek. He lovingly rubbed his thumb under her eyes brushing away the tear stains. A small smile rested on his lips. He had his love back and he was going to make sure that she knew he loved her for the rest of their lives. That was the only thing that he was ever going to be truly certain on.

© 2011 Regan Meade


Author's Note

Regan Meade
What do you think of the dialog and plot? Also let me know if you happen to see any grammar problems that i missed. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really loved this :) great story, hope to read more of your work soon :D

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 27, 2011
Last Updated on April 27, 2011

Author

Regan Meade
Regan Meade

Boise, ID



About
I am the girl that hides in the shadows working her magic from the background. I am the one many seek comfort from. I am the one who hides her pain and true feelings behind a mask of happiness. I am t.. more..

Writing
Happy Happy

A Poem by Regan Meade