Chapter 2: "Dark Blade"

Chapter 2: "Dark Blade"

A Chapter by MindIsAnOcean
"

Chapter 2

"

The fight was just about to begin and Chath could already taste the salty-sweet flavor of victory. It was cage fight night. The arena was fully packed with sweaty, beleaguered bodies hoping for their daily dose of violent entertainment after a hard day of working in the city. The sound level was at a dull roar as the onlookers cheered and jeered at the two competitors. Men and women with bleak faces covered in dust yelled at a betting bookie in the corner of the room. The air was hazy with smoke from a group of teens smoking desert grass in the back.

            Suddenly the announcer’s voice was booming through the arena. “Hello ladies and gentleman of the great city of Nema!” The crowd picked up its cheer in unison. “Welcome to the cage pit! Ladies grab some drinks, and guys grab yourself a gal because today two of our best bone fighters in the city will be giving you a show you cannot forget.” Several men whistled and slapped their dates’ asses, and the girls playfully shoved them back.

            This is certainly a lively crowd tonight, thought Chath. He danced back and forth on his feet looking over his opponent. The man was hulking, with impressive muscles and veins just about popping out of his skin. He was bald with small beady eyes that were too small for his face, but he had a vicious scowl on his face. This guy is big, but he looks like he doesn’t move fast, Chath thought.

            The announcer’s voice boomed again. “On your left we have The Bludgeoneer! His muscles are unparalleled in size and he is gifted with a strong blunt-fighter bone weapon!”

            With that, The Bludgeoneer roared and released his ability. This was what Chath had been waiting for. To see what he was up against. The skin on the hulking man’s arms rippled as the bone underneath moved and re-formed. The skin above it opened and allowed the growing shapes to emerge, one on each arm. The Bludgeoneer grunted with concentration as he forced his bones to take shape. The tissue swirled for a moment and then hardened, forming a sleek club-like bone formation running from just below his elbow to beyond his fingertips. He sneered over at Chath and smashed his weapons together forming a loud booming noise. The crowd cheered louder and some women in scantily-clad outfits screeched lude comments from behind him.

            “And on our right we have Night Dagger, the swiftest fighter in all of Nema with his assasins-blade bone weapon!” The crowd roared again.

            “So slow. Is that really the best you can do?” Chath spat onto the ground and smirked over at the hulking Bludgenoeer.

            The man looked puzzled and frowned. Chath closed his eyes. This was always his favorite part of fighting in the ring. Releasing his gift he sighed as warmth flooded his entire body and a pleasant tingling vibrated through his bones. It almost felt like stretching after a good long sleep, but better. The warmth escalated to a heat as his bone reformed quickly in his wrists above his hands as well as his heels. The tissue went through the skin, swirled, and quickly settled into its final shape. Four daggers were Chath’s weapons. And all of this happened in a matter of seconds.

            “Doesn’t look all that impressive to me. You and your puny daggers” growled the Bludgeoneer.

            But Chath wasn’t really listening to the man. Someone spoke up from behind him. It was Karum. “Hey man, I’ve got my money on you. You’d better not lose!”

            Chath turned around and gleamed sloppily, giving Karum a joking salute. “You got it man. Yeesh, have more faith in me. You should know by now that I will win, I mean look at this guy.” He pointed a thumb over at the Bludgeoneer whose veins looked particularly bulging as he raged in his corner. Chath just barely heard a scoff from over his shoulder when the announcer screamed over the crowd.

“FIGGHHHHHHT!” and a bell dinged somewhere above him.

            Before the bell even had the chance to stop ringing the Bludgeoneer was hurtling straight at Chath with a snarl. He swung one of his heavy club-arms straight for Chath’s head but he quickly ducked down and scurried to the side, jabbing at the large man’s leg as he swept by. The Bludgeoneer seemed unfazed by the cut Chath had landed on his leg but there was a slight trickle of blood running down his thigh. The blade of his bone weapon had sliced, but not deep enough. All I have to do is wear this guy down, thought Chath. He knew that if the huge blundering idiot somehow managed to land a blow he would be done for, but he didn’t intend on letting that happen. Just as he spun around to meet his opponent again, a bone-club swept past his nose. He could feel the force of wind from the strike that just nearly missed him. S**t how did he get over here so fast!? He wasn’t moving at nearly that speed on his first strike! Then the Bludgeoneer was on him making swift jabs at his stomach and legs. He was already panting. Chath somersaulted back to get some distance from the swinging fury of the Bludgeoneer’s weapons. And with that was his chance to strike. He ran to the left, and then quickly veered to the right, vaulting himself over a swinging arm, rolling to the ground behind his opponent. He swiftly spun around before the man could react and sliced at the exposed area behind his knee. This time the cut went deep and crimson flowed down the Bludgeoneer’s leg. This time the huge man reacted, yelling and swinging his arm around to connect with Chath’s face. He tried to duck, but just as he thought he had escaped the blow the man’s knee connected with his face and sent him stumbling back.

            Chath’s vision dimmed and he was on the ground. Bright spots flickered behind his eyelids. Fuzz muddled his brain. Before he could compose himself, the Bludgeoneer was on top of him, swinging his arm in an ark straight down at his middle. A killing blow. Chath recovered just enough to roll out of the way. He grunted as the bone club smashed the ground of the arena just to his side.

            The arena shook, and the crowd was pushing at the links of the cage and cheering for blood, the sound of the metal clinking and clanging around the two fighters. Chath knew that winning meant a comfortable month for him, which renewed his faltering motivation. Think of the money, think of the money. Fighting this guy should be a cinch, pull yourself together! His vision finally returned and he rolled further away from the Bludgeoneer and regained his footing, shaking his head and arms. As if that could throw off the fact that this idiot was beating him. I need a plan or else I am going to lose this friggin fight…I need to play less defense against this guy, more offense. He needed to do this fast. Concentrating hard Chath drew in the bone of his hand daggers. The weapons melted, returning to his skin. He could feel his bones protesting a bit. He hadn’t quite perfected his second weapon form yet, but he had to try something to throw off his opponent and turn the tides in his favor. Forcing his cells to rearrange, he pictured it in his mind. A scythe blade arcing from his forearm, sharp and sleek. As he had pictured it, the tissue swirled as the cells realigned and occified, forming the sharp blade. When he was finished Chath was panting from the effort, sweat dappling his brow.  This was where he would turn this fight around! 


© 2013 MindIsAnOcean


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on June 7, 2013
Last Updated on June 9, 2013


Author

MindIsAnOcean
MindIsAnOcean

Albany, NY



About
My name is Sydney and I grew up in the Adirondack mountains. I am just now getting into writing a novel, mostly because I have so many crazy ideas and I feel that this time I can compose it into somet.. more..

Writing