Chapter 2- A Battle of Epic Proportions

Chapter 2- A Battle of Epic Proportions

A Chapter by Candy Palooza

         I’m halfway to Alex’s house by now. I have a skateboard, but I don’t use it for transportation. And I don’t have a bike, so I’m stuck with walking.

         I take my phone out of my pocket and text Alex to let her know that I’ll be at her house in a few minutes. She replied with “ill b waitin on the porch!”

         After a minute or so, I see her house just a little ways away. I begin to walk just a little faster, eager to get to her place. I notice a figure running towards me, waving franticly and yelling “Hi, Austin!”

         Before I know it, I’m running, too. I’m excited to see her; last time I saw her was a month ago, when I last got kicked out of the house. Honestly, I really missed her.

         We finally met, and I gave her a huge hug. She dyed her hair again, now it’s white with orange streaks in the bangs. “Hey, Alex! How’s it going?” I ask.

         “Good, I guess. But the bigger question is how are you?” I know exactly what she was talking about. She gave me a really discouraged look and I could tell that she was worried about me and my mom.

         “Yeah, I’m fine. You know me, I tend to get in trouble. I’m pretty used to it by now,” I said.

         “That’s great. So Momma just happened to pull some cookies out of the oven, and we’ve got a new gallon of milk… and you know what that means!” She gave me a look that told me she was up to something.

         “I smirked. “Cookies and milk battle?”

         “Cookies and milk battle.”

         We both raced inside and sat on the counter. We looked around for the cookies and gobbled down 2 of them each.

         “Wait!” said Alex. “We need to save some for our cookies and milk battle!” We both looked disappointed that we had to wait to eat the delicious cookies.

         I’m pretty sure you’re wondering just what a cookies and milk battle is. Basically, we just chuck cookies at each other until one of us either gives up or runs out of cookies. The loser gets a glass of milk poured on top of their head. More times than not, I end up with milk in my hair by the end of the night with Alex laughing so hard she can barely breathe. But this time, I’m determined to win!

         We each took 15 cookies and ran to the backyard. The sounds of crickets were everywhere, and I thought that they might be our own little private audience, watching and cheering for one person or the other.

         Alex took her usual place by the garden, and I went by the fire pit. I had a cookie in my hand and was ready for action.

         “On your mark,” said Alex.

         “Get set,” I said.

         “Go!” we both said, and it all started.

         A cookie smacked me in the shoulder and Alex’s forehead. Melted chocolate was out of the cookie and down my arm. Alex had chocolate in her hair and eyebrows.

         We continued this for awhile until Alex reached down to grab a cookie and couldn’t find anything. She ran out of cookies. And that means…

         “I win!” I shouted happily. I danced around singing excitedly for a minute or so, then remembered.

         It was time for the milk.

         I pranced inside to grab the glass and walked outside. I was so proud of myself!

         Alex looked at me and smiled. “Do it. I dare you.” I knew it was a warning sign but I didn’t listen. I watched as the milk went in her hair, over her eyes, causing her makeup to run. She looked at me and shook her head like a wet dog to get it all over me and off of her. Then she chased me all around the yard, splashing what was left of the milk in the glass at my back.

         And I loved it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Awhile later, Alex and I were talking. Conversation was going normal until we started talking about why I wasn’t at my own house.

         “So… how come you wanted to come over here? I know you got kicked out and everything, but why?” she asked. Her tone of voice makes it sound like a normal question.

         “Bruce was drunk and was sick of putting up with it. I yelled and he told me to get out. Plus, I’m trying my best to give Mom some space. She’d been acting a little weird lately,” I said.

         “Oh. Well I know your mom’s not going through the best time right now, so I think it’s great that you’re giving her some time to cool off.”

         “Yeah, I guess. She asked me about school at dinner and if I was excited or not. I didn’t know what to say,” I said, a little embarrassed that I couldn’t answer such a simple question.

         “My mom asked me that the other day, and I just told her that I was. I mean, what’s there to be scared about?” She looked unsure of her own words.

         Our conversation was cut short by her mom coming in and telling us it was time for bed. I told Alex goodnight and made my way to their guest bedroom, same as usual. But this time, Alex’s mom began to talk to me.  “Honey, is there something going on between you and your family?”

         I was shocked that she asked. She never seemed to care that I was here; she just welcomed me inside and told me and Alex when to go to bed. So when she asked, I really didn’t know what to say.

         After a second or so of heavy thinking, I said, “Yeah, kind of. But it’ll be over soon, I’m sure.”

         She didn’t looked very convinced, and I’m pretty sure that my facial expression of nervousness and uncertainty was helping much. She decided to let it go, though. “Well if it doesn’t, just remember that you always have a home here. This can be a ‘safe haven’ if something ever goes wrong. Alex and I will welcome you with open arms,” she said. She smiled, and I realized how white and straight her teeth are.

         “Thanks for all of your support, Mrs. Parks. I really appreciate everything you and Alex are doing for my family and me.

         “Any time, Sweetie. And please, call me Josephine.” She gave me a hug and told me goodnight, just like my mom used to do when I was five or six. She shut the door and let me sleep.

         Unfortunately for me, sleep wasn’t very easy to come by, so I lay awake for a couple of hours and finally drifted to sleep.



© 2013 Candy Palooza


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on February 18, 2013
Last Updated on February 18, 2013


Author

Candy Palooza
Candy Palooza

About
Well, I'm a seventh grader that lives in Small Town, USA. I've got quite the passion for writing and love to read other peoples' works. I'm an aspiring pastor and try hard to write intriguing sermons,.. more..

Writing