Life On Page

Life On Page

A Story by MissWonderland
"

This is a story about six best friends who were once strangers. They were pared up for an English project about Life. Each has something to bring to the table: secrets, life lessons & confessions.

"
"In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away." ~Shing Xiong.

Prologue:
Chapters of my life will come out to play like a movie, some will hate me, others will fall in love with me, and some will never understand me. But this isn't just my story, this isn't just a tale about me finding love. This is the story of broken hearts, broken families and broken dreams. Just like a Green Day song, or a Nicholas Sparks book. I didn't know how to explain to them at the time that I knew the outcome of this tale, of this spellbinding novel I was writing in my head. Then again, maybe I really didn't know the outcome of this story, I just knew what was suppose to happen...to someone like me. Just a face among the crowd.

© 2013 MissWonderland


Author's Note

MissWonderland
Reviews, criticism and suggestions are welcomed (:

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is going to be a bit short, since this is a rather short passage, but here we go. :)

First off, I’m not quite sure if this is a book or a story, since this is a prologue and there seems to be a lot more story to tell. But the ideas that I have don’t really rely on this, so let’s get started, shall we?

Alright. So you start out with a quote. My suggestion would be to be very careful about this. Quotes can be beneficial to a story, but you cannot let a quote write the story for you. Sometimes writers will use a quote if they want to create drama, or hook the reader, but if you use a quote, it sometimes outshines what you are about to write. Quotes are sometimes used as an easy way out to give your story a quick and easy bit of quality. Don’t fall for this.

Next is the fact that you have a prologue. As I’ve told others before, prologues are also tricky; just as tricky as quotes. It’s hard to describe when you should use a prologue and when you shouldn’t. Here’s a bit of a read on it:

http://www.foremostpress.com/authors/articles/prologue.html

Make sure you don’t take the decision to use a prologue lightly.

Another thing I noticed was that the prologue is philosophical, meaning it’s mostly an introduction that uses thoughtful phrases and metaphors that define what the story is about. This is done a lot. Too much. Many different stories use philosophical prologues to start off stories, and they oftentimes are unnecessary. The reader wants a writer to start the story, and they don’t want to read something that they probably won’t remember, or that doesn’t serve any purpose. Much of the information here can be included later in the story, and this is why I think, sadly, that you should get rid of this prologue and use it elsewhere in the story. Start the story instead, and work in this great meaning you’ve got instead of simply saying what it is.

Sorry if I seem critical! Take only the suggestions that you think are right for you. This is your story after all.

-Storyworker


Posted 10 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
MissWonderland

10 Years Ago

Thank you, I know, I was very indecisive about a quote and a prologue. I just needed a start and wh.. read more
Storyworker

10 Years Ago

No problem. I'm glad I helped. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
1 Review
Added on May 19, 2013
Last Updated on May 19, 2013
Tags: Confessions, romance, suspension, lies, heartbreak.

Author

MissWonderland
MissWonderland

San Diego, CA



About
I am a student, I write for my schools newspaper and an amateur when it comes to talking with others. more..