Three Men in a Room

Three Men in a Room

A Story by R. Ellison
"

A bit of a descriptor i came up with, when asked how my mind worked.

"

 

Three Men in a Room

            Three men sit alone in a room.  They all look remarkably similar; identical at first glance.  They are all tall, dark haired, and have blue-green eyes.  Even their haircuts and facial features are impeccably alike. 

           

Though they are all similar in nearly every aspect, the three men are all different. 

 

            The first, on the far left, is a look-alike of the other two.  He leans upon the wall with an air of superiority, as though he were a duke or a lord of old.  He appears cool and collected but his eyes are constantly darting around the room peering into the shadowy corners, alert.  He is continuously shrouded in darkness.  He does not often venture towards the other two, but prefers to stay in the shadows.  His arms crossed casually across his chest; and yet his fingers are constantly twitching.  In anticipation?  In fear?  Something else?

            Whatever the reason, he continues to lean and wait, with a false grin or possibly a sneer hiding at the corner of his mouth.  Clouds of doubt, and suspicion, doubt and fear poised over his head.

 

            The second man, though he looks the same, is practically the antithesis of the first two.  He always has a smile, no matter his disposition.  He dresses in bright colors, constantly changing what he’s wearing to match his activities; but his clothes are always bright.  He enjoys talking, either to the other two men or to himself (when no one else will listen) and revels in laughter.  His side of the room is always bright.  He is constantly removing the clouds of fear and grief and sadness that are as clutter some as dust; and always with a smile and a laugh.  His eyes are bright and vibrant.  All his joy and happiness mixed with the empathy of the sadness of others.  He has cuts and scrapes and bandages over many places on his body, but he never complains and never worries.  He is carefree and caring as a child, and always looking to help out.  Nothing can quash his optimism.

           

The third man, in the center of the room, shares his appearance with the other two.  He sits cross-legged in the center of the floor.  Unmoving, unflinching, almost uncaring.  He wears grey-blue pants and a dull shirt.  He will occasionally get up and move to one side of the room or the other to talk with either the man on the left or the one on the right.  He doesn’t linger, however, preferring to remain an observer.  He is always aware of his surroundings, and when he looks at something, his gray shaded eyes seem to stare through that thing, penetrating its inner being, documenting its purpose, figuring out the reason for its existence.  Sometimes he will cross his arms in reflection of the first man.  Other times he will join in the revelries of the second; but he always returns to his position in the center of the room, in the center of the floor; crosses his legs, and observes.

 

At times, the entire room is lit from the brilliant, colorful flashes and explosions set off from the second man’s fireworks.  At others, the room is so suffocated from the dark, brooding clouds and deafening thunder from the storm clouds swirling out from the first man.  Sometimes the room is simply a gray space to exist.

Many times, the first man will, in a fit of anger, proceed to beat on the third man; pummeling him to the floor, and then kicking him when he is cringing on the ground from the blows.  Usually, the third man will step in and have to drag the first man (who is still wildly flailing) off of the second man.  He will then help the second man patch his wounds, helping him back to his feet.  The first man will then sit in a corner of darkness, brooding and stewing in his anger and frustration, while the second limps back to his side of the room with a pained smile, and the third retreats back to the center of the room to his spot on the floor.

© 2008 R. Ellison


Author's Note

R. Ellison
Like i said, this isn't quite done yet, it is still missing two entities that i have since discovered.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This intrigues me. Like multiple personalities. Excellent!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
1 Review
Added on May 17, 2008

Author

R. Ellison
R. Ellison

About
Hi all! I'm Rob. I picked up writing as a casual side helping to life. I'm not sure if it'll go anywhere, but i simply enjoy putting my thoughts into stories and other mediums of literature. I hav.. more..

Writing
Closest Closest

A Poem by R. Ellison