The Moment Part 2

The Moment Part 2

A Story by Mizzfizz96
"

Setting the battle lines Lady Zubair Khusso has to fight in...

"

It all started when I returned back to Pakistan after having lived with my English mother for far too long. My father insisted it was time I learn my roots and start learning the rich Sindhi culture and tradition, I was soon to come of age  which would automatically make me eligible for marriage irrelevant of the fact if I was ready or not. Being the heiress of the Khusso family was an onerous position, being half white didn’t really help.  My stepmother and her children always despised me, I was the proof that their noble father had a love child; even though he had accepted me; they claimed I was illegitimate.


So after completing my A-levels from an English boarding school I began my travels back to the village which epitomized the Khusso power and heritage. I was coming back after six years; I was ready to come back for good. As a child I had longed for love and affection from my parents, a request which had always been substituted by money.  They both enjoyed lavish decadent lifestyles and felt that their only duty was to present me with wealth. My father was extremely particular about the customs I should be taught, this made me yearn for him more since I felt he was the only one of the two who would correct me if I were wrong.  The scorching Pakistani summers had set Sindh on fire; I was suffocated with heat as I was taken from the airport to the Haveli in the rural part of the province, and not even my father’s private air-conditioned Range Rover sent to collect me made any difference. His chief of staff Akbar and a battalion of guards welcomed me back to my homeland, all cheerful that their little ‘Adi’ was back. The following month was full of rituals and protocol, dinners everyday! Socialising was at its peak, but in all this time I never got to sit with my father, on the rare occasions he was back from the buzzing city of Karachi he took refuge in his study; everyone knows that Malik Sahb is not to be disturbed there...


The elections were soon approaching and I had been in Pakistan for two months now. As always the Khusso family was supporting, in fact fighting for a Pakistan Peoples Party government.  ‘The fate of our family is intertwined with that of the Bhutto’s’ my father would always say as he let out smoke from his hooka in the Haveli courtyard. The brief moments with my father in this part of the house would always be cherished, I would love to get into political debates with him and argue that a new party must challenge the feudal hold on this part of the country. Initially he would laugh it off, complaining that it’s my ‘Angrez’(White) genes talking, but as the elections grew closer his temper started getting out of control. This left me with no other choice.


After pleading and begging Akbar like crazy, he arranged a meeting for me with the Pakistan Democratic Party candidate Haider Ali Laghari. A meeting which would transform my life. We were all sworn to secrecy; at no price could anyone especially my father find out that I was associating myself with the man he loathed, the only person who dared challenge Malik Zubair Khusso by contesting in the elections against him. ‘Lady Zubair Khusso... How may I be of your assistance?’ I still remember Haider uttering these words as he stared at me with curiosity upon finding me outside his office. This handsome politician in his early thirties definitely had the gift of the gab, in less than no time I was a devoted follower and guiltlessly in love with the man my father despised.


My clandestine encounters with the ‘love of my life’ Haider were easy to conduct since my father was busy in the political rallies and gatherings taking place all over the county in the PPP’s desperate attempt to maintain power; the others didn’t care if I lived or died. Akbar the faithful chief of staff would rather die than let me tarnish the ‘Khusso’ family reputation so he felt it would be easier to handle me if he could monitor me.  I was the wild-child, even though I didn’t look English since my paternal genes were more dominant, I harboured a typical teenage English defying streak which Malik Sahb’s loyal workers knew was better not to cross, after all I was a Khusso. I would spend day after day in Haider’s office contemplating with him over the reforms he planned to bring about and started to religiously learn the PDP’s manifesto.  I was allowed to sit in high level think-tank meetings and met a variety of people; I felt liberated; it was only later that I would learn I was actually exposed.

The originally ‘professional’ political meetings started taking a personal turn, the fierce fighting transformed to ferocious flirting; I was over the moon since he really was the one. Being the mere age of seventeen and having no elder to guide me, no friend to stop me I found a safe haven in Haider Ali Laghari, unaware that he was just waiting to exploit me. He would impress me with his stories, go on about heroic political struggle and laugh about his interviews with me; we had formed a close alliance. At the times we weren’t together, he would message me during the day and call me during the night inquiring more about my father than me; something I didn’t find odd at that time...

 

© 2015 Mizzfizz96


Author's Note

Mizzfizz96
Part 2 has arrived, stay tuned for more to come!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I enjoyed reading part 2, you did well to set a scene for what is to come. I get this 'tense' feeling from it because I am wondering how Haider will deceive Lady Zubair!I like how you create a nice balance between back story and the present setting, it gives a lot of useful information but still keeps the story moving. I look forward to reading more, keep up the good work!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

an innocent adventures women falling into the trap of a politician's fake love. interesting

Posted 8 Years Ago


I enjoyed reading part 2, you did well to set a scene for what is to come. I get this 'tense' feeling from it because I am wondering how Haider will deceive Lady Zubair!I like how you create a nice balance between back story and the present setting, it gives a lot of useful information but still keeps the story moving. I look forward to reading more, keep up the good work!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

508 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 6, 2015
Last Updated on July 9, 2015
Tags: Romance, Politics, Culture

Author

Mizzfizz96
Mizzfizz96

Islamabad , Pakistan



About
An aspiring Barrister in the making. Fashionista and Foodie. Ex-literature student. Currently enrolled in Law school. Spent my life between Islamabad and London, born and bred in the latter whilst cur.. more..

Writing
Reflection Reflection

A Chapter by Mizzfizz96