The Moment Part 3

The Moment Part 3

A Story by Mizzfizz96
"

How everything started to go wrong...

"

It all started to go wrong the morning of the Pakistan Democratic Partys jalsa (public gathering), Haider had convinced me to speak up against my father, expose his tyrant nature and highlight what an evil man he was;  I had to do this even if it meant lying. At that time I felt like a revolutionary, challenging the ruthless regime of the Pakistan Peoples party. It had been inculcated in me that I was officially a freedom fighter who was struggling to end the inhumane autonomy Feudal Landlords harboured in this part of the country. My handsome beau manipulated me by smoothly saying ‘Darling, the only way we can get married is if you tell the world how cruel the aristocracy is. You MUST talk against your father, even if he’s not like that his friends are.’ It was the first time he had discussed the thought of us getting married, a notion which was evidence that happiness isn’t only a part of utopia.  The timing of this romantic proposition was wonderfully orchestrated by the sly politician, he was fully aware that my nerves were getting the better of me and I was having second thoughts. How could I possibly destroy my father’s image in public? How could I lie about the only parent who ever loved me? How could I talk against the man who was the benefactor of my luxurious lifestyle? I was against my father’s party, not him. Haider wasn’t going to take no for an answer, even if that meant he had to pick me up and throw me on stage. The word ‘marriage’ had given this whole speech a different dynamic; he had looked me in the eyes and gently rubbed my hands desperately trying to melt away any second thoughts. His black Prado had stopped signalling it was time; the jalsa-ground was full of people chanting various slogans denouncing PPP; it was time to walk on the stage and openly castigate my father. We were sitting in an air conditioned SUV even though the October chill had arrived, but yet sweat dropped from my forehead as I walked towards the stage. I knew then that the next moment would change my life...

 


After that everything began tumbling down, my rollercoaster had reached its height and now only anguish as well as despair would be there to greet me as I fell. Standing on the stage, facing thousands of people and speaking into the cluster of mics was the most gruelling thing I ever did in my life. The horde of enthusiastic party supporters applauded and cheered as I completed my argument speaking against Malik Zubair Khusso. I politely smiled back fully aware that everything was about to change. I turned around, unable to look into Haider’s beautiful brown eyes and carefully made my way down the stage oblivious to the praises PDP workers threw at me as I walked back to the car. ‘Lady Khusso! That was brilliant, you were AMAZING out there, such a natural’ I took my Prince Charming’s compliment as an insult as he ran behind me trying to grab my arm to make me stop. Ever since I had delivered the speech a feeling of remorse had entered me, I had shamed the only man who had probably ever loved me. ‘Ali you aren’t going to marry me are you?’ Haider looked at me with confusion, I had never called him Ali but my lips didn’t have the courage to take the name of the man who had destroyed me, I didn’t even have to hear the two letter words; I loved him well enough to decipher his expressions. ‘Well, come on you know we can’t! Your father would hardly agree and you’re just’ I signalled him to stop, with what little self respect that remained and took a deep breath praying my tears would slide down unnoticed as I walked back to the car; friendless, loveless and extremely humiliated.

 


I told the driver to take me home, even though in hindsight I knew how my welcome would be. I wanted nothing more but to cry and beg my father for forgiveness, not only had I destroyed his public image, I had disappointed him by causing dishonour to the ‘Khusso’ family name. I had tarnished the one thing my father was proud of, I would be the reason he would never wear his Ajrak and Topi again; the two most important things for any Sindhi man which represent honour and pride.  Lost in self-reproach, I didn’t even realise my phone was ringing till the driver pointed it out. Who would be calling me?  Who would want to associate themselves with an evil selfish person like me? I glanced at the phone screen with utter confusion; something had to be wrong; each bell magnified my fear till I found the courage to pick it up. Akbar was panting, his voice echoing that some awful news was to be delivered; I tightly closed my eyes preparing myself for the worst. ‘Malik Sahb is in ICU! He had a heart attack, come to the local hospital as quickly as you can!’ Dread and fear filled my body, for a moment I spaced out. What on earth had I done?! But the worst was still to come...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2015 Mizzfizz96


Author's Note

Mizzfizz96
Hold on tight, something unexpected is about to happen!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

the worst situation for a girl where she has got no one. her lover for whom she went against her family betrayed her and now even her family is against her. although was the heart attack due to her actions its not sure? I liked the unfolding of this chapter and the way you depicted the emotions of a helpless girl repenting on her actions. nice work

Posted 8 Years Ago


I think you did, as you did in your first two chapters, a great job of vividly showing Lady Khusso's inner thoughts and feelings. I like the 'rollercoaster' metaphor, I think you chose the perfect spot in the story to put it in, right while she is speaking on stage.

While she was riding home I was wondering about how her father would receive her, so that was definitely a surprise!

Can you please tell me what 'Ajrak' and 'Topi' are? It's interesting to learn a little bit about a culture I am not very familiar with. Thanks :-)

I'm excited to read more, looking forward to Chapter 4!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Mizzfizz96

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much, your support and feedback really helps and motivates me to write more! :)
.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

589 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2015
Last Updated on July 8, 2015
Tags: Romance, Politics, Culture

Author

Mizzfizz96
Mizzfizz96

Islamabad , Pakistan



About
An aspiring Barrister in the making. Fashionista and Foodie. Ex-literature student. Currently enrolled in Law school. Spent my life between Islamabad and London, born and bred in the latter whilst cur.. more..

Writing
Reflection Reflection

A Chapter by Mizzfizz96