The Drunken Butterfly

The Drunken Butterfly

A Story by Mobius
"

A short commentary about a playboy and the true love that he knows that he will never find.

"


   
 

   
 

 My heart is a vehicle of indecision. It carrys love from house to house, but it can never decide where to drop it off.

For many guys, their love has a place, It has a home. A place where it can feel comfort. A place where it can prop up its feet.

 But my love is a gypsy love. Never staying at one place long, floating aimlessly in the wind, like a drunken butterfly. My love is on an endless bus-ride to locations unknown. Hoping every moment that the next stop will be the last.

 I have broken many hearts, but the yoke of love there-in was never for me. My heart is a compass that forever points north. But in my castle, on the hill, I stand alone at the top of the world. There is no north. Everything is south. I have found no love, and earned no family.

 Perhaps I will become a polar explorer. At the north pole, lonlyness is an expectation. Not a tree or a flower or a car in sight. Just a man and the elements. And the coldness around him, is not from lonliness, but one of the challanges he must conquer in order to survive. It is a place where Love, is the smell of a freshly opened can of beans, and the warmth of a hooded parka. His Family are the footprints that crunch behind him in the snow, like ducklings following their mother.

  For the arctic explorer,Happiness is the place on the horizon where the Sun will climb out of the ice in a month or two. And Time is the mysterious voice he hears in the chilled wind that becons him into endless tommorrows.

 I wonder if polar bears ever fall in love. Or do they too float around like drunken butterflys. I bet if I were a polar explorer I would meet many polar bears. And I could observe them and learn from them, and perhaps, even share a can of beans. But never my parka. I would never share my parka. Not with a bear. Not with a girl.

 For I am a drunken butterfly.


 

© 2009 Mobius


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That last paragraph is very unique, very stubborn.
"And I could observe them and learn from them, and perhaps, even share a can of beans. But never my parka. I would never share my parka. Not with a bear. Not with a girl."
I like that.
The ony constructive criticism i have to offer would be to suggest you don't mention the drunken butterfly quite as much as you do here. I think it would serve you better to just take a few out, and maybe replace them with some sort of allusion to the title, or, i don't know, a similar metaphor. But that's just a suggestion. Keep the last one, and the first one, but the one's in the middle, not so much. Make yourself a little sandwhich (get it) *clears throat*....
anyway.
I do like this, a lot. Great job.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 5, 2009

Author

Mobius
Mobius

TX



About
I am a 51 year old (Married) male from Texas. I write for fun, but my pieces are generally very short. I dont claim to be a good writer, but a lot of what I write is good. I think that I must also .. more..

Writing
Things Things

A Poem by Mobius