The Parcel

The Parcel

A Story by modtoddinc
"

For a contest

"
The Parcel

Sweat beaded in the small of his back. Glancing again at the package on the chair beside him, he looked around the gate like a nervous dog; trying to identify any threats. He gave up quickly, everyone seemed preoccupied, and he had no idea what he was doing anyway. With his hand shaking, he reached for his breast pocket which now contained seven hundred dollars. He looked back down at the package. What the hell was happening? How'd he gotten himself into this mess? His mind racing, he tried to melt into the chair.

The stranger had approached him in the restroom.

"How are you, Mr. Crow?"

Leanord turned around to see a well dressed middle aged man holding a small brown parcel and smiling at him.

"Uh, fine? Do I know you?" Leanord mumbled absently. He brushed invisible lint from his suit.

The man shook his head twice and slowly said, "no sir, no you don't. But I would like to make you an offer." He gestured with the parcel. "I'll give you five hundred dollars to take this package and leave it in locker number sixty-six when you arrive in Miami." The stranger smiled like molasses, his eyes squinting slightly.

"How did you know I was going to Miami?" Leanord started, "who are you?" "What is this... Is this a joke?" "How do you know my name?" His eyes darted around the room. "How do you know I'm going to Miami?" He repeated uneasily.

The man in the suit shook his head, "No Mr. Crow, no joke. Call me Mr. Brown." Musing at the brown parcel, he stated "No, this is a business proposition: I would like to hire you to take this package to Miami and place it in locker number sixty-six. For this service, I am willing to pay you five hundred bucks, simple as that."

"No thanks" Leonard shook his head several times and began to walk away. He didn't realize at first that he was moving further into the restroom. As he caught himself, he stopped, and tried to appear intentional, as if merely needing some space to defend himself. Leonard put on his best tough guy face and turned back to look at the stranger.

"Okay Mr. Crow, I see your a man of integrity, I'll give you seven hundred dollars to deliver my package." Mr. Brown slid his hand under the lapel of his jacket.

Leonard ducked.

Chuckling, Mr. Brown spoke deliberately, as a parent would caution a child, using a very low tone, "I assure you Mr. Crow, you have absolutely nothing to be afraid of... We have already passed through security. This is a simple parcel that I cannot possibly deliver in person. Therefor I must have it delivered. As I already mentioned before, you look like an honest business man. Here is the seven hundred up front, and the parcel, there is no risk to you."

Humiliated, Leonard reached out to take the package and money refexively, he could use the cash... Instantly, Mr. Brown turned on his heels and confidently strode out of the bathroom. Leonard stared at his back totally dumbfounded.

The stewardess announced that it was almost time to board the plane. The intercom whined with feedback and Leonard Crow jumped so hard, he fell out of his seat yelping like an injured puppy. He sprawled awkwardly on the floor. People stared. One woman nearby, asked if he was having a seizure. Leonard scrambled up, grabbed at all his belongings and quickly shuffled off. He looked around nervously in every direction. He bumped into a young child and nearly walked into a post before shambling down the corridor, away from his gate.

He looked at the parcel in his hand, then quickly shoved it through the swinging flap of the garbage can before him. If anybody had truly been watching him, they would've said Leonard ran away. About a hundred feet further down, he started fumblimg nervously for the seven hundred dollars in his suit pocket. As he pulled it out, the money flew all over the airport floor, Leonard managed to get only a few bills through the small, silver hole, on top of the bullet shape in front of him. Totally dazed, he became more aware of his surroundings, he saw people turning and stopping to curiously inquire about other people who he thought of as the money mongers. Leonard, sprinted out of the airport, across the sidewalk, and into the roadway, he was muttering "screw Miami, f**k Brown" over and over and over to himself like a man who had just ran out of his mind.

By Todd R. Joslyn, 2015

© 2015 modtoddinc


Author's Note

modtoddinc
I felt like writing, but couldn't focus, so I looked up a contest and challenged myself to write this in an hour.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very intriguing. And impressive given the constraint of 1 hour.

Good flow makes for easy reading.

He cannot find the courage to say no to the man with the money. But he also cannot stay on the flight.

I wonder what would happen next. It feels unfinished (I guess that is the point ?).

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

modtoddinc

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reviewing and stopping by. I may develop more later... It's basically just an excersize t.. read more



Reviews

it is amusing to me to reread these "mirages", these "participles" I do see the potential, but I am not mesmerized by the dream.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Todd,

Thank you for gracing our challenge with your excellent story that was well structured and a pleasure to read.

Kind regards
Helena

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very intriguing. And impressive given the constraint of 1 hour.

Good flow makes for easy reading.

He cannot find the courage to say no to the man with the money. But he also cannot stay on the flight.

I wonder what would happen next. It feels unfinished (I guess that is the point ?).

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

modtoddinc

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reviewing and stopping by. I may develop more later... It's basically just an excersize t.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

375 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 4, 2015
Last Updated on November 19, 2015

Author

modtoddinc
modtoddinc

Tacoma, WA



About
I write what I feel with honesty, and integrity. I love art in all it's forms, especially poetry and multi-media. I love to read, watch movies, play music, and study comparative mythology. I hope to o.. more..

Writing
2022 2022

A Poem by modtoddinc