Red Court

Red Court

A Story by the penumbra
"

Just a random story I came up with.

"
"Which would you like Mistress Shantina, gold or silver chain?" The court merchant offered, 
"Ah, silver please... " I reply making a wave of my fingers towards the thin, delicate, silver chain.
"Aye." He quickly pulled a small white box from the seat across from him and slid the small chain into it. He smiles sweetly at me before handing me the box.
"How much?" I ask him slipping the box into my waist belt.
"It is free for you Mistress Shantina." The merchant said smiling widely at me,
"Go raibh maith agat," I say, smiling softly turning away.
"mo pléisiúr!" He calls after me waving.
I weave my way through the evening crowd gathering for the court festivities. Scanning my eyes through the faces looking for, Dai, my royal guard. Not seeing him, I begin to turn, before feeling a light tap on the shoulder.
"Looking for me Shani?" Dai says smiling at me.
"Yes...Dai I would like to go back to my chambers please, may you escort me?" I ask, putting my hand over my mouth to stifle a yawn.
"Ahaha, you need to rest Mistress?" Dai chuckles,
"Aye." I reply quietly nodding my head.
"Alright, follow me." Dai says taking me by the shoulder and leading me through the crowd. We reach the Royal chambers. I begin opening my door,
"I'm going to stay out side your door tonight Shani, just to be sure your safe." Dai says staring at me.
"No, Dai...you need your rest, go to your bed." I say waving him off.
"Shani. I'd prefer to guard your door tonight." He says sternly.
"Fine, fine...your worried Trinian will come, aren't you?"
"Slightly, now off to bed Shani."
"Alright..." I sigh walking in and shutting the door.
After I've readied for bed I crawl under the lush, inviting covers of my bed and drift off into sleep....
I awake with a taping at my window, I reluctantly crawl out of my warm, lush haven and peer out my window to find nothing but the night sky. 
"Silly...it was nothing, just my own imagination..." I mumble to myself.
"Hello again Shantina..." A voice whispers in my ear. I whip around quickly, baring myself for attack, and gasp at what I see.
"Trinian...?"
 
Yes, my love...'tis me...” Trinian says smirking.
“But...” I say weakly, staring at him. Soaking in all his beautiful features; his raven black hair, pale skin, the golden honey eyes I use to know so well...he was as beautiful as I remembered.
“But what, Shantina?” 
“Your not suppose to be here....”
“In Ireland? Or on Earth?” Trinian replies smiling slightly. Oh how I've missed his smile..
“Both...But I knew you were not dead....even after I plunged the knife into your heart,” I whisper, shaking slightly as I reached out to place a hand upon his cheek. He was cold to the touch. He closed his eyes as I brushed my thumb over his cheek.
“I know, love...But I came back.” Trinian says, his eyes softening, kissing my forehead. I blush, remembering that I am only wearing a simple green lace nightgown. 
“May I join your bed tonight?” He asks, chuckling at my reddened cheeks.
“Trinian...But Dai...” I reply thinking back to the guard at my chamber door.
“Daimen? What about the sad excuse for a guard? The mutt you call friend? Isn't he the fool who talked you into plunging a knife into my chest? When I had no need to meet deaths doorstep?” Trinian demands, a flicker if disgust coming into his golden eyes. 
“Yes...but you were mad...you were dying, dear...” I say flinching.
“Shantina...I know...Daimen was wrong, I am alive, am I not?” He replies, his eyes softening.
“Yes, but you are not the same Trini...” 
“I know...” Trinian says, a single tear sliding down his cheek. He reaches for my face, placing a hand on each of my cheeks. Slowly kissing me, he lays me back.
“I love you...” He says moving away.
“As I love you...please don't leave, darling,” I say reaching out, like a small child to her mother or father.
“Goodbye, my love.” Trinian chuckles throwing a black object at me before leaping out the window. I gently pick up the object and examine it in my palm. It's a small black ring, with the serpent emblem on it. I slid it unto my finger, it's fit for a male finger.
“Trinian...what have you done?” I whisper to myself, knowing he cannot hear. I slid the ring off my finger and lay it on my bedside. Wiping the tear rolling down my cheek, I drift off into a dreamless sleep....

I awake to my maid shaking me gently.

Yes Lilly?” I say, my eye's fluttering as I wipe the sleep from them.

The king wishes to see you, ma'am.” She replies as her eyes widen. I sit up slowly, taking in the scene around me.

My curtains please...Draw them back,” I say gesturing to them with my fingers. Lilly hurriedly walks over a draws them back, letting in a bright light that brings all the colors and silks in the room dancing with life. Then, after getting a satisfied nod from me, she walks over to my dresser, gently shuffling through my dresses.

Which dress would you wish to wear today, Mistress?” Lilly asks, fingering the soft fabrics between her fingers.

Hmm...Perhaps my light green one, with the dark green undertone?” I question, she nods approvingly and slips it off it's rack. I stand up and she helps lace my corset tightly, to where I can barely breath. Gasping I nod, motioning her to help me slip on my dress. As she puts it over my head, I move to smooth out the fabric. Looking in the mirror I see the brilliant light green with dark green and small silver swirls beginning at the bottom, only to end at my waist.

You look stunning, Mistress.” Lilly says approvingly. I smile my thanks to her, my eyes full of adoration.

Lilly, please bring me my silver belt, the chain I bought yesterday, my courtship ring, and my silver bangles.” I say politely. When she brings them to me I slip my silver engraved courtship ring onto and I clasp it around my neck. Then I tie the belt around my waist, and put the bangles on each of my wrists.

I believe I'm ready. Where is the king waiting?” I ask, twirling slightly in the mirror.

I think he's in the main dining area.”

Thank you for your services Lilly, you may go about now.” I say waving her on.

Thank you, Mistress!” She hurries out of the room, to who knows where. 

© 2011 the penumbra


Author's Note

the penumbra
Just so you know, It's not finished, and I've no clue when I'm going to finish it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on July 1, 2011
Last Updated on November 22, 2011

Author

the penumbra
the penumbra

Hell, OK



About
Hello all! I apologize, it's been several years since i have been on here, but I am more than happy to be back. :) I love all comments, questions, and critiques posted on my writings, and I will try.. more..

Writing