When I'm Gone…

When I'm Gone…

A Poem by MomzillaNC
"

An essay and a free prose poem

"

We all know how short is Life. Some of us know ours will be shorter still. I have often felt that my life will not be long like those who came before me. My Gran lived to 90 and her mother lived to 89. A great, great grandmother (I think on my Gran's father's side) lived to 104. Frankly, I'm surprised to still be here at 51. I didn't try very hard to get here, that's certain. I never felt I had a reason to get here before I met my husband and we had our son. Now, I have so much to live for. But, I don't fret that I still feel I have little time left to me. I'm thankful every morning for another day… another day of seeing my son grow and become the wonderful person I can already see in him. 


I make now,

to all who know me, 

a request 

to remember me 

not with great, snot-gobbery tears, 

blobbing down emptily 

to dry and be forgotten. 


Celebrate me 

when I've passed. 

All I ask 

is that when I'm gone, 

in my name, 

please spend just one day… 

One day a year…

It's not too much to ask…


Spend a day

And think of my heart

Honor me

in some simple way

to make your corner of this world

A better place for others,

by service to those in need. 


Volunteer in a shelter. Lend your strength to a worthy cause, like Habitat for Humanity. Or spend a day helping feed the hungry and/or homeless. Spend a day volunteering in a nursing home. Do something like that in my name and that will be, to me, the best way I could ever be remembered.

© 2015 MomzillaNC


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I agree dear Poet.
"Volunteer in a shelter. Lend your strength to a worthy cause, like Habitat for Humanity. Or spend a day helping feed the hungry and/or homeless. Spend a day volunteering in a nursing home. Do something like that in my name and that will be, to me, the best way I could ever be remembered."
Gift of charity is the best way to remember a love one missed. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much. I appreciate your perfect understanding of my intent.
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

I did and you are welcome.



Reviews

Amen to that Momzilla.
I often volunteer my time and encourage my little ones to do so by involving them however I can.
Sorting food at the food back, organizing toys by age for the Xmas toy drive. It starts with building a strong community, and accepting everyone who is part of it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

I agree. My son likes to visit at the nursing homes. I encourage him to do so. He's always looking f.. read more
Matching Socks

9 Years Ago

Lead by example. :)
I believe that very much.
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

:D :D
I see and perceived wisdom in this penned piece. I find so intriguing and puzzling that we don't come to terms of reality and mortality when we were in our teens, twenties and thirties until people hit 40. As the common quotes says- " life begins at 40 ". Perhaps its saying that its the period of time in our life when we finally came to a grip of life reality and our own mortality. Its the starting point when everything are slowly going down hill. Phone books names and numbers of family and friends are replaced now with Physician's name and numbers. I'm glad that the Scripture didn't kept us in the dark of these challenging changes we will soon experience in our life. Man used to lived around 900 + years until God Himself shortened it to just 120 years if we are blessed and lived a stress free life. But we shortened it when we are not a good custodian of our own body and abuse and misuse it in any way we can and want. By average the Scripture also gave us an average productive life span of 70 years or 80 years if we are still healthy. It is a very short time. We worked all our life and when we reached the retiring age of 65 we can sit and relax and enjoy the fruit of our labors. This is 5 to 10 years shy of the average mark of a productive life man have been designated with. We worked at the age of 18 and stopped at the age of 65. But less time to enjoy it. It's like Term Life Insurance. There's a cut off limit. Expiration date.

Trivial indeed as the author of Ecclesiastes said. To be in tune with reality. We are not even guaranteed tomorrow, next week, next month, next year. But only today. What you're saying in your last notes is that man should redeem the time by making choices and investing in some cause that really matters and thus leaves a lasting legacy to the family, friends, and people they will one day will leave behind. For time is very short . I wonder if pursuing God and to thirst to know Him is worth our best time and effort ...

Thank you for this post. Its indeed thought provoking.. This is my take upon reading this introspective piece.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I'm honored my words sparked such thoughtful musings in you.
NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

Its my pleasure... I enjoyed your piece.
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

:) :)
ell I'll certainly think of you when I take little presents to the people in the day-car center just down the street. Although I imagine I will predecease you, since you are y oung enough to be mi daughter.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Marie

9 Years Ago

I enjoy excellent health and probably am not as grateful for it as I should be. You sound like a sur.. read more
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I hope you live healthy and happy past 100 years old, surrounded by those who mean the mo.. read more
Very simple and honorable request. To all whom you have touched their lives, you will be remembered and appreciated. Many happy returns in the meantime...:).......

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

Thank you.
Sami Khalil

9 Years Ago

You are welcome...:)......................
A very humble request to the world which lacks what it needs the most at the moment 'humanity'.

Helping the helpless is a great virtue:) Thank you for spreading the message:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

Thank you.
If only it would be that easy to celebrate a life that morn the death of a loved one, cause that is how it should be.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

I agree. Thanks.
i lean toward my mother's side ... her oldest sibling is 108 and lives in her own home ... by herself... with friends, neighbors and family that check in on her throughout the week .. i will visit her in the next month or two :)))) there were three centenarians all alive.. at the same time in my family ... i expect to live to 110 .. at least :) on my dad's side it doesn't go past 78 or so :{ ...things are what they are ... it is curious .. the senses we have about such things .. and in the end
http://youtu.be/MY2StuP3rd4 ... i hope you check it!
i fully support your call to volunteer .. my favorites are Wounded Warriors, St. Jude's Children's Hospital and St. Andrews (feeding the hungry) .. these Societies have little to zip in overhead costs .. not like so many others with execs grabbing six figures and more ..
i will be honest now ... i really respect your expressions .. i am honored to be connected to you here on WC ... if upon your death ... i am made cognizant of it .. i guarantee i will morn your passing over .. for myself ... i hope to go happily :)) these sentiments expressed are deep felt weights of responsibility for us all to reflect, appreciate and love ... especially those close to heart .. what a fine write you have shared .. love to you Momzilla!! big time ..
be well
be happy
receive peace and joy and flower power ;)
E.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

BTW: LOVE the Beatles song you referenced
Einstein Noodle

9 Years Ago

i will soon be 66 yrs old :) ... from time to time during my life .. in the 30's, 40's .. i found m.. read more
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I'm deeply honored by your commentary on my own humble musings.
a very reasonable request...one day a year, remember me, and do some good for others in my honor.

i like that...yes.
don't need pomp and circumstance...just some kind of pay it forward.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I try to pass on that sentiment, that intent in my son. He definitely has a heart for ser.. read more
such sad and heart-warming thoughts, Momzilla. I hope you'll live long enough to see your son on his graduation day, then on his first day at work, then on his wedding day. I also hope you'll hold your grandson proudly and think how much he looks like his father :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I hope so too. But, I will live in gratitude for the blessings of each day and each miles.. read more
MomzillaNC

11 Months Ago

Woody, my son graduated last June 2022. He graduated with honors from a prestigious magnate high sch.. read more
Myself, I just want a simple burial, but would be loved, to be remembered, as someone, who gave a damn, about the world, and tried to make a small difference, to those, around me, with simple gestures of kindness and understanding. Having seen, what many people choose to ignore, or fear.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reviewing. I would hope we would all hold ourselves to such standard, and remember to con.. read more
therisa

9 Years Ago

Sadly, Momzilla, some people want to be remembered, by the grand ceremony, and not, who they are.
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

The sadness in that is that they feel they leave no valuable remembrance behind… that they can onl.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

786 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 16, 2015
Last Updated on January 16, 2015

Author

MomzillaNC
MomzillaNC

NC



About
If you read my work and comment, I'll return the favor on your work. I'm not adding new friends nor accepting read requests. Writers write always. Great writers read, then write. THESE ARE FE.. more..

Writing
We Remain We Remain

A Poem by MomzillaNC



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil