Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Morning
"

The worst day of my life was a typical November, Saturday morning.

"

    UPDATE- DECEMBER 14TH, 2009

The worst day of my life was a typical November, Saturday morning. I remember it was a very gloomy day, dark clouds hung in the sky and strong rain poured from the grayness. It was almost ten o'clock and I was sitting at the kitchen table eating a bowl of Froot Loops. Amanda Price, my foster mother, was question me about how I liked it here.
    I had only been at the Price's home for a week. Sam Price, was a young business type man, in his late twenties or something. His wife, Amanda Price, was a gorgeous young women with straight blonde hair and gray eyes. She desperately wanted a baby, but soon discovered she could not have one, so I was her test subject, to see if it would be a good idea to adopt instead. I honestly liked Mrs. Price; she was so nice, and mother-like, it was a shame she couldn’t have any children on her own.
    My mother had died while giving birth to me. Mrs. Price already knew this, so she avoided saying anything to do with the word mother, to spare my feelings I believe. I was used to this already though, my whole life was moving around from foster home to foster home. My father was a different story all together; He left my mother before I was born and never came looking for me.
    “School is good Mrs. Price," I was saying before my life changed. "Everything's just swell."
    "Kristen, sweetheart, I told you to call me Amanda! Did you meet any fri--" Her kind voice was interrupted by the door bell. "Well I wonder who that would be this early in the morning?" She asked me, while getting up to check the front door. Amanda, then yelled,     "Kristen, it's for you! It's a boy from your school!"
    She came back a sandy headed teenager fallowing her, a smirk on his face. "Oh my god!" I was thinking to myself. "That’s Riley! But he's the most popular boy in school why is he here!?" His eyes lit up when he saw me, I don't know why though. I was dressed in a pair of blue sweat pants, that were a size to large, and an old black hoodies, that was a little too small on me. It wasn't like I was going anywhere special today.
    "Kristen, didn't you here me?" Amanda asked. "I said a boy from your school is here."
    "Yeah sorry." I said glancing at her before my eyes went over to the sandy haired boy.     "Hey…"
    "Hey Kristen! Riley, remember?" His smile widen when I nodded, knowing his name. "I came to see how you are getting along here."
    "Well I'm doing good..."
    "Hey is there somewhere, we can talk more privately?" He asked his eyes flashing over to my foster mother who was pretending to wash dishes.
    "Yeah, umm, sure. We can go to my room?" My eyes went to Amanda, to see if she had any objections, but she said nothing. So I got up and singling Riley to fallow me.
    My room was on the second floor. It was small, but cozy, with a twin size bed with baby blue blankets, a long maple dresser with a mirror and a few of my belongings scattered on top. There was no carpet on the floor and the walls were plain white, but I really liked this room. It felt like I belonged in this house.
    "So, Kristen how do you like this school?" Riley asked coming closer to me.
    "It's all good," I said lamely looking at my feet. At times I sounded so dumb.
    "That’s really good..." He whispered coming even closer so that out arms touched. "Kristen... I really, really like you. I think your smart and beautiful and I would really want to meet you more." His strong hands firmly around my own.
    I tried to pull back, he was starting to make me feel uneasy, but his grip was to tight.
    "Let go of me," I spoke braver then I felt.
    The room seemed like it was spinning and his cold laugh echoed though my head. I wanted a knife, so I could stab him and make him go away. Sickness overwhelmed me, and it felt like I was going to faint.
    "Let go of me," I repeated, trying to draw away from him. My voice seemed softer, weaker then before. What was happening to me?
    Dizziness filled my head as I glanced wildly around for an escape. My mind was going black, and thinking was a struggle.
    "Let go of me!" This time I almost yelled it at him. Heat seemed to spread throughout my whole body and my body filled with the strength it had lost.
    Riley immediately released me at those words. He jumped back as if he had been shock, and then fell onto the floor, looking up at me, but not meeting my eyes. His eyes were wide with fear and his hands clenched the side of his face covering his ears, as if trying to escape the sound. The teenage boy finally met my eyes and then he screamed in pain, grasping his stomach falling backwards. Riley's brown eyes rolled back in his head, as he gasped for breath, he stared at me though, his eyes staring daggers at me. He leaned forward his hand catching my ankle and it closed around it.
    All of a sudden, I was in blackness. Like a change of a channel, I was in a new location within a second, though I had no idea where. The area was pitch black, and I could hardly see a few inches in around me, but when I leaned forward, my arms in front of me I hit a could wall. On either side of me, there was a freezing wall, creating a path. Then I heard his voice.
    It was almost to quiet to hear, no more the a soft mummer, but to hard to make out the words. I realized it was Riley, his hard voice now seemed like a little child, alone in the dark. Even though I didn’t want to find him, I did search the darkness for the boy, but had no luck in finding him. Closing my eyes, I sighed. I had no idea where I was or what had happen. Riley was gone (but his voice wasn’t) and I really wanted to go back to my bedroom.
    My wish came true, when I opened my eyes and saw the familiar white walls. I was on the ground and Riley’s hand still clutched my ankle. Holding back a scream, my eyes fallowed the arm up to his head, where his brown eyes were wide open with fear and his mouth ajar, like he was going to scream. He was not breathing.
    I stared blankly at his body. What had just happen? Confusion filled my thoughts as I tried to figure everything out. Could I have possibly done that?
    It didn't matter if I did that to Riley or not. I was a foster girl, who has only been in this town for a week, so it did not matter what I did. The police would never believe that Riley had just stopped breathing.
    Most of my stuff was still packed in a black backpack under my bed. I hurriedly took it and threw my extra clothes in there before finding a piece of paper and pen. Writing my thanks and apologies to my foster parents, I laid the note on my bed where I was sure they would see it. I put on my coat and looked around the room.
    I was really going to miss this place. It was probably one of my favorite foster homes, which was saying a lot because I had been a bunch of homes. Swinging the black bag around my shoulders, I opened the window silently in my room. It was a very good thing a tree was there, because I could easily scale the down the branches to the safety of the grass. Casting one last glance at my old home I started to run.
    I was soaked within minutes of the heavy rain. Nobody was outside, but I saw plenty of cars drive by, but none stop to see what a strange girl was doing running in the rain with a backpack. Once I even saw a police car and hid behind some bushes. It drove right by, not even noticing me.
    By the time I stop, the sky was already darkening and I was getting hungry. Sadly I did not have any money, so buying food was not an option. I never had shopped lifted before, but I knew people who had, and who thought it was easy. So I guess it was time to try for myself
    The next gas station, I walked in, trying to feel confident. An old guy was working at the cashier and he glance me a specious look, before his eyes went back to the TV in the corner. Their food shelf wasn’t that great, but it was better then noting. I picked up a bag two bags Cheetos, and a Sprite. It wasn't a meal, but it would do. Shoving it in the bag I attempted to walk out without being noticed.
    "Hey! You!" The old man shouted, getting out from behind the counter. "What did you take!"
    So much for my brilliantly plan. I looked back at the cashier, going to play the 'I-don't-know-what-your-talking-about' game, but when my eyes met his, he froze up and screamed. He fell backwards, and crawled back, looking at me like I was a monster. Having no other choice, I ran.
    I didn't know what was happening to me, and I didn't want to know why. All I knew was I was scared and wanted to go home. But I don't have a home, I reminded myself. Thinking of home, I wondered if the police was looking for me. "Well they won't find me," I thought bitterly.
    Then I heard the footsteps behind me. I didn't even have the chance of self defense, because I was already hit, and falling to the ground. Trying to get up, I was knocked back down. More people were coming, I could hear them, and I didn't want to go down without a fight, so I sucked up the pain and lifted myself up. The person who was attacking me before was nowhere to be seen, actually no one was, I couldn’t even hear footsteps.
    This time I heard them before I had a chance to see them. Somebody was quickly running up behind me, I ducked when I heard feet kick off the ground and saw a girl, a little older then me, with curly black hair, soar over my head and land neatly on her feet. She looked back at me a frown on her pretty face, and moved swiftly, cutting the air with her leg. Without thinking I dodge her kick and pushed her backwards. Well that's what I planned on doing, but when my hands touch her skin it seemed like everything froze around us.
    I saw a small girl with wave black hair, tears in her eyes, watching a man in a black suit walk away. Then the same girl a little old sitting by a grave. Image after image, I saw glimpse of this girls whole life story, and it seemed in everyone she was crying.
    My eyes blinked open and I was no longer touching my attacker. The teenage girl was rolled into a ball in front of me crying, and in astonishment I stared at her. Feeling sick I sat on my knees watching my teary attacker. I then heard more footsteps and I spun around. Four people were approaching me, but it was now so dark I couldn't see who it was.
    “Check Midnight.” I heard a female hiss orders. “You check the girl. Be careful”    
    Trying to get up, so I could fight, I feel back to the ground breathing heavily. One of the figures rushed over to me catching me before I could fall. Looking up, I could see a face. It was a teenage boy, older then I was, with short spiky brown hair and green eyes. He was kinda geeky cute, I guess.
    "Hey," he said smiling. "You alright? You know your kinda cute..."
    "Don‘t annoy the girl, Gunshot!" Shouted the same girl’s voice from behind. The boy laughed lightly at his companions words. “Is she okay? Remember we‘re on a mission!”
    “My names Jacob. What would yours be?”  
    Before I could answer, I felt a stab a pain though my body and I doubled over. This time when Jacob tried to catch me again he jumped back, when our skin touched, like Riley did and collapsed to the ground. I saw the other three coming over to help him, before I closed my eyes and cried out in pain. My hands were tightly over my ears trying to escape from the world around me.
    Then, though my mind, I saw the boy, only a younger version, at the circus. He was laughing, holding on to his mothers hand, until a clown came walking up to the pair of them. The little boy dropped the ice-cream that was in his hands and started screaming and crying at the same time. His mother had to pull him out of the circus tent to stop his tears.
    Blinking I realized I was back in reality and two figures kneed over me. An older girl with bright flaming red hair, and a grim face and a older boy with choppy blue hair, who had his hand on mine, were both staring down at me. I could still hear the Jacob boy in the background crying whispering about a clown. If the whole situation wasn't scary, I'd laugh.
    “Did you take it?" The redhead asked quietly, oblivious I was awake.
    "Yes," He sighed, removing his hand from mine. "I couldn‘t take all of I though, she‘s more powerful then I am?"
    “Impossible!” She gasped, staring at him with complete shock. Her face was filled with fear now. “You said she just devolved them. They can’t be that strong yet! Are you sure she they just evolved? Could she be working for him?”  
    The blue headed boy looked at her, his face calm, thinking of the right words. “Her powers did just evolved, I can tell that, but they are more powerful then anything I have ever seen… And yet I do not think they are done developing. This girl will become more stronger, once she learns to understand them.” He stayed at her awhile more, before continuing. “I can also tell she is not with him. We know for a fact that is Mia over there, and it seems like she did that to her, the same way she did this to Jacob. It’s not her fault though, she has no control over them yet. She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Everything seemed to be quiet, even Jacob stopped crying. Only the faint sound of breathing ranged though the night air.
    "What... What's happening to me?" I asked softly, breaking the silence. It was quiet for a moment, I think they were surprised I had spoken. Then the redhead answered my question first.
    "You discovered your power..." Her voice was nervous, and a little afraid. "It came on so strong, Ethan had to take them away for the moment... Your one of us..."
    There was more silence, even the breathing seemed less. Who are you? What power? I wanted to shout the questions out at them, but when I opened my mouth no words came out. Then remembered how sick I was before and I started to feel dizzy again. The world spun around me and it was a struggle to keep my eyes open.
    "Help... Me..." I breathed before everything turned black.
 



© 2009 Morning


Author's Note

Morning
UPDATED - DECEMBER 14TH, 2009

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hey, this is a great story and I like the plot, and this chapter. But it's moving really fast, more specifically the part from when she jumped out of her window and on. Try and slow it down and explain whats going in more detail, but other than that it's great and I enjoyed reading it, can't wait until you update!
P.S. Could you check out my story "The World Within" Thanks!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 28, 2009
Last Updated on December 15, 2009


Author

Morning
Morning

WI



About
Ello My Name Is Morning! I Am A 13 Year Old Girl, And I Know That May Seem Young But You Might Be Surprised. I Love Writing And Reading And REALLY Want To Become A Novelist When I Get Older. So Please.. more..

Writing
Awakening Awakening

A Book by Morning