Words to Grow by

Words to Grow by

A Story by Mr. Lopez
"

a message for the recovering addict.

"

 Anyone who is in recovery or anyone who might have a problem knows all too well the true meaning of a hard life. Any addiction, be it drugs, alcohol, gambling etc., leaves a trail of destruction that affects friends and families lives beyond words. Yet there are two keys here that are very important to recognize, “Life and recovery.” There is still hope!

The road to recovery is an endless road that requires much work by the addict.  This will be an ongoing task that will span the lifetime of an addict. The alternative to recovery is death.

The work involved comes in the form of self awareness. Taking an honest moral, personal inventory will then uncover the same personality defects that drove us to think that numbing our pain was somehow the answer. We then use these new found discoveries of ourselves to govern our thoughts and actions and press on, to take on life on life’s terms. We then surround ourselves with like minded people. What will happen to you next in life will be determined by the people that you surround yourself with.

My own personal experience has been a lack of resentment that once governed my life. When we no longer harbor resentments, we find ourselves being considerate of our fellow man. No longer self seeking, we reach out to help others by sharing what we’ve been through and how we’ve overcome the obstacles that we ourselves put up.

We cannot change the past but we can affect the future. We don’t have to live in pain. If only we choose to live a better life by way of acceptance and awareness. Accept that we are powerless to our said addiction and be aware of our triggers that drove us to hide in our pain. To think that we can change the past is simply insane.

Many addicts are intelligent and successful individuals who have much to offer society. What we find is that even with all of our personality defects we are still loved. With much work, there will come much growth.

There will also come a time of spiritual awakening. With prayer and awareness, recovery is realistic. Of our destructive past we can only offer apologies and hopefully make amends with those that were hurt along the way. With prayer we ask God for guidance and strength to overcome the chains that once bound us to our own personal hell. Don’t ever give up on yourself and you will know the joys of life and recovery, to live a better life.

This write isn’t for everyone but if I can reach just one person with these words to grow by ….then my work here is done.

 

© 2008 Mr. Lopez


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a message of hope for so many ML! Don't stop writing. You have a wealth of wisdom for those that are struggling with addictions and many forms. God is obviously using your struggles to reach out to those that are in similar places. WOW...all I have got to say is, keep on keeping on. The road you have walked is not in vain.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Perfect! You touched me

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a sad yet hopeful story. You are reaching out to help others as we all should. You make so many great points that are so very TRUE. There is still hope though it may be an endless road, we cannot change the past but can affect the future, with work comes growth, RECOVERY IS REALISTIC, DONT EVER GIVE UP ON YOURSELF (or on others in need). I sincerely hope you reach many, many people with this write, as well as inspire others to do the same. A superb, well written, heartfelt story. 'Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a message of hope for so many ML! Don't stop writing. You have a wealth of wisdom for those that are struggling with addictions and many forms. God is obviously using your struggles to reach out to those that are in similar places. WOW...all I have got to say is, keep on keeping on. The road you have walked is not in vain.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is chock full of wisdom and I should have read this weeks ago. Funny how I opened this write and immediately closed it. Being a typical addict, I was not willing to hear the truth at that time. I wanted to be able to go out and "use" without hearing these very words echo in my mind. I thank God every day that he has given me conviction in my heart. I felt a sense of hope after reading this and I thank you from the very bottom of my heart for sharing this piece. As the closure of this piece states that if you reach just one person with these words to live by then your work is done...... I want you to consider your work done. You reached me, and I believe this is for a reason and God has his hands on it. Thanks for this!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 16, 2008
Last Updated on June 16, 2008

Author

Mr. Lopez
Mr. Lopez

Chandler, AZ



About
I was born in Texas October of 1966. Raised in California where i fell in love with music and art. I came from a large , poor family where the most valuable thing we ownwed was our love for each other.. more..

Writing
No Worries No Worries

A Poem by Mr. Lopez


Confused Confused

A Poem by Mr. Lopez



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..