The Doctor and I

The Doctor and I

A Story by Kikai
"

A short fan-fiction piece on my travels with the Doctor.

"
I am such a huge Doctor Who fan, and I'm currently re-watching the entire series for the third time while waiting for the next season to come out next year. I just find the Doctor so charming, witty, and loving of all people. It's so alluring. I've always thought I could be a good companion, so I figured I might as well write about it. I hope you all enjoy! 




The Doctor and I
By Abby Pasion


A larm. Snooze. Alarm again. This is a usual morning for me. The buzz and ring duo alert my groggy, limped arms from under and out of the covers - just above my head - to slap it silent. I sigh of relief; that's the third, and last, snooze of the cycle. Sweet peace at last...for now.

"Abby!" A voice as loud as thunder rips through the room. It must be mom. "You are going to be late for work, it's almost 9 o'clock!"

I whimper out a hnnnnnnokay as I force myself up and adjust my eyes to stinging light.

"You are 20 years old, your mom shouldn't have to keep waking you up!" 

My mom's voice begins to fade as I focus on the day ahead. Another day of being alive, though. With this crazy and screwed up world, it's a blessing. I do a quick brushing of my teeth, throw on yesterday's garb and toss my hair into a messy bun. I grab my laptop bag - but almost forgetting the laptop charging on my dresser - and out the door I am.

"Traffic is going to be crappy again. Damn Portland yuppies," I whisper to myself as I slowly ease my weight on the gas pedal. And just like this traffic, it's going to be another usual, ordinary day.

I don't like ordinary. I mean, yes, sometimes I do. But where is the excitement in knowing what's next all the time? Adventure is an aspect of life I've always fancied, but could never pull off. With college and work, there's no room for traveling! No room...no time--

CRASH
BOOM

In an instant, my wandering is cut short. I look up from my steering wheel to see a streak of light across the sky dive into the trees of Mt. Tabor park. Suddenly, I'm curious. Was I the only one to notice? I approach a red light, I look around, no one seems to have noticed the light and the sound. Why?

"Well now...that doesn't happen every day." I say to myself with a hint of excitement. Finally, something new, something mysterious, something...out of the ordinary! I think quickly. I know that Mt. Tabor is only 12 minutes away from where I am right now, about 17 including this traffic time. If I act quickly, I can get onto the nearest freeway entrance and get there before anyone else has the chance. 

17 minutes go by like Godspeed. As I pull into the Mt. Tabor parking lot, I notice something odd. No smoke, no damaged trees, nothing to suggest some out-of-wordly phenomenon has crashed onto the earth. Everyone seems to be going about their daily business of walking the dog, playing frisbee, or taking a hike. I check my watch - it says I should be at work by now. But I think I'll call in a sick day.

I look up, I see the streak - now a tad faded - and I follow it. As I do, I ask others around me if they see it to. Then they think I'm crazy. I must be, though. I'm following a light that no one else seems to notice. I'm hearing sounds that no one else can. And I'm missing work for it.

The streak leads me to a descending trail, and no one seems to be around. Seeing as it is daylight, though, I don't fear a creep jumping out and scaring me. I follow the trail, which takes me down and around, until finally I see something...and hear something.

A strange, alien sound coming from a gold and blue-illuminating object in the distance. I follow it, but now I'm nervous. There really is something here...but what is it? As I approach the object, I notice it's a bit odd. It's...

"A police box?" I ask out loud. "What in the world--" but before I have the chance to finish, the doors of the strange blue box swing open, startling me. And a man with a funny accent steps out.

"Hoy! Who you calling a police box?" The man says. 

His stylish suit and scruffy short hair catch my attention. He's human? I think to myself. I would have expected an alien or beast with 3 heads.

"Aye! I'm talking to you!" The man says again, more direct.

"Uh, your box."

"Oh, this thing? This is more that just a police box, dear, this," he chuckles and a huge grin slides onto his handsome face, "this...is a time machine!" 

He looks serious. He's smiling at me, mouth wide open, and he's serious. He's...intriguing.

"You've got to be kidding," I saw, somewhat snarky. "How much have you had to drink sir?"

"I haven't had anything to drink and I am serious!" He turns away from me, now looking at his box. "This is the T.A.R.D.I.S. It stands for time and relative dimension in space. T-A-R-D-I-S." Then he looks at me again, and with that big grin back on his face he continues, "And I'm the Doctor."

Literally, my mind is spun. What is going on? "Wait, I'm...very confused, you're the doctor?"

"No no no, not the doctor. The Doctor."

"Well, okay yes, but Doctor who?"

He grins. "Exactly!"

"Ugh, that doesn't help." I begin to pace in circles. "I feel like I'm going mad."

"Oh, no, you're not. If anything you're completely the opposite of mad. You're confused, bewildered, a chicken without 'er head--"

"STOP!" I shout, but I don't mean to. "Sorry, sorry. I'm just trying to understand. I was driving, and I saw this streak in the sky. But nobody else seemed to notice. It was weird, but something inside me...something like instinct...it told me to go follow it. I was expecting aliens, but instead I have a dashing man with a time machine calling me a chicken!"

"Wow, what a day!"

"You don't seem to be taking me seriously." I grunt.

"Well you didn't seem to think I was serious about my time machine."

Wow. Sassy one, he is. 

He gazes at the T.A.R.D.I.S. again, then back at me. Then he says, "would you like to look inside?"

"Well," I begin to think to myself. No one every said anything about following mysterious men with time machines. But still... "How can I trust you? How do I know that's really a time machine anyway. For all I know, you could be a creep!" A creep with a pretty face, I think to myself.

"Abby Pasion," he says, so charmingly. "Does that prove anything?"

"What...how do you know my name?" Now I'm a bit scared.

"You told me, in the future. Actually that's why I'm here now. I was sent by you - you, from the future I mean."

"Um, yeah right. Anyone could know someone's name from the internet! Like a stalker! You're a stalker!" My hear begins rapidly beating, and I start taking steps back.

"I'm not a stalker. I'll prove it," the Doctor says, acting so calm and collected. "You were born on July 1st, you currently attend Oregon State University--"

"Again, that's general information that a creep would easily find on the internet--"

"You have a dog named Princess, when you were 6 you got stung by bee and it forever haunts you the rest of your life, you tell people your favorite food is pasta but actually it's sushi, you made a ceramic bowl for your mom when you were in junior high, you don't fancy any country songs except for those by Shania Twain and you tell people you've read the Hunger Games books but really, you haven't even read a single page from it."

I'm flabbergasted. I look at the man, the strange man, the Doctor, with awe. "How on earth did you--?"

"How did I know? I already told you," he quickly grabs me by the arm and pulls me inside the blue box, "You told me, in the future!"

At first I'm startled - a random man has just pulled me into a time machine box in the middle of the woods in a park I barely know - but something else has got my attention now.

"Holy..." I slowly turn around the room. This space. The T.A.R.D.I.S.. It's... "It's bigger on the inside."

The Doctor smirks. "I've been told."

"So this is really a time machine?" I look to him, excitement back in my veins.

"A-ha! There's that bright smile!" He quickly jabs, then moves to what appears to be a control board of sorts. I follow his move.

"You said you talked to me from the future. How far in the future?" I ask him.

"Mmm, I can't say. It'll mess up the timelines, cause a paradox, which does some nasty things I might add, and I just can't risk doing all of that, nope, not one bit." He speaks so quickly it's hard to follow.

"Okay, well can you at least explain to me why you need me? Why was I the only one who could see you and your T.A.R.D.I.S.?"

After pressing a few buttons and turning on a switch, the machine begins to make a loud, weird sound. A digital sound, something like a sonar with a wire missing. "Well I suppose I should tell you, or else you won't be able to fix it."

"What, fix? Fix what? I'm not a very fix-it kind of person, Doctor."

"Basically, in the time of the future you, the city you live in is in danger. That's actually how I ended up there. See, the T.A.R.D.I.S. is drawn to danger, fear, and disaster. And it's my job, as a Timelord, to help those I can. To prevent, and to fix."

"Danger? The city? What kind of danger?"

"Not sure. Something with radioactive ladybugs, or some sort."

Radioactive ladybugs? He's got to be kidding.

"Whatever it is, it seems like it was all because of you, Miss Pasion. By the way, lovely name."

"What? Me? I caused the city chaos?" I'm feeling hysterical. "I don't believe any of this."

Then, at that moment, the Doctor stares me down. His eyes, so captivating, blue like the box, like the ocean. And then he...begins to laugh?

"Hahahahaha," he goes on. "You are a funny one, Miss Pasion."

"Wait, what's so funny?"

"I'm just kidding, the future isn't in danger."

"Wow! Thanks for throwing that on me!"

"Calm down, though! I really did meet you in the future. In fact, we've had a lot of fun." His gaze slightly shifted away, but his smile became...sincere. Suddenly, he has become intriguing all over again.

* * *


The Doctor sat me down and explained everything. He told me of the Time Lords and Gallifrey. Then of the real first time we met, which was actually in the future. Not too far in the future, either. I had just graduated from college and was finishing up an interview for a job when he T.A.R.D.I.S. appeared in the parking lot...on top of my car. He was drawn there because he was chasing an alien that strayed a little too far from their home; and timeline. We had many adventures, the Doctor and I. He told me stories of sitting on the rings of Saturn; chasing star-raiders across the 77th nebula; fighting against rebels in World War IV; and eating ice cream in the streets of New New New New York. Such beautiful, amazing, wonderful things!

But unfortunately, there would come a day that would be our last adventure. Once again, no details, except for something about crossing timelines and energy and fixed moments. Not quite sure what that all means - timey whimey, he calls it - but for some reason that I cannot be aware of, the Doctor could not visit me again. Except, for one last time. The future me sent the Doctor to present me, to "save her from another ordinary day at the office." To show me one last good time.

"Wow," I thought, "That sounds like something I would do."

"And you did!" the Doctor grinned.

"But so, after this, after what we do today, I can't see you again?"

The Doctor, his grin slipped, says, "No. You can't."

"But why?" I became concerned. "What about all those adventures? What will happen to those? They sounded like so much fun!"

"They were, Abby, so much fun," he started. Then his eyes connected with mine. "And you were a wonderful companion."

Something in his voice as he said those words made me emotional. It was as if he was saying goodbye, even though we had just met not so long ago.

"Well, Doctor, what will happen now? I mean, if I'm in the past, and those are in the future, shouldn't they still happen? Isn't that how all this time traveling stuff this works?"

"After today, I will leave. And because of what happens later on, the timey whimey deal, that future will no longer exist. And because of that, you, too, will forget this moment." His eyes, now saddened, look slightly away.

I shake my head violently. "No, that can't be, why would I forget--?"

He still doesn't look at me. "Because that's how it's supposed to be. But I, being a Time Lord, will remember it all. The whole universe and time itself are in my brain, a part of my wiring. It's a burden, I guess." He lets out a small chuckle. Then his eyes shift back to me again, and he has a somewhat funny look on his face. "Wh...Why are you crying?"

I'm crying? I take a moment to recollect myself, and yes, he's right! Small streams of saltwater are dripping down my cheeks, and I didn't even notice. "I'm sorry," I sniffle and wipe away the tears, "I didn't realize...it's just. All the stories you told me of what's supposed to come. They all sounded fun and, exciting. But now...you're telling me they will never happen."

"Well," he get up, walks towards and sits down next to me. He plops his arm around and over my shoulder, "Then why don't we make this a fantastic last ride? One you can remember me by?"

I turn towards him, still teary-eyed. His face makes me feel...happy, and safe. Like something brilliant is about to happen. I put on a genuine smile to match his. 

"Yes," I say, grinning at him. "Take me away, Doctor."

He turns to the control board on the T.A.R.D.I.S. and pulls a lever.

"Let's go."








END

© 2016 Kikai


Author's Note

Kikai
This was something just for fun. Please do not critique it so heavily. Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on July 24, 2016
Last Updated on July 24, 2016
Tags: Doctor Who, The Doctor, Companion, Fan, Fan-fiction

Author

Kikai
Kikai

Portland, OR



About
Hi colleagues! My name is Kikai, and I'm an aspiring novelist. I just love to write. Nothing fancy, just a good read for teens and young adults (I'm still one myself, after all). Please feel free to .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Kikai


Transparent Transparent

A Book by Kikai


Forward Forward

A Chapter by Kikai