Unik

Unik

A Story by EbonyFair
"

In an ever-evolving society, Martha Brux (pronounced ‘Brooks’) finds herself facing a seeming ‘utopia’ of which she is challenged to cope with its norms and still hold her own beliefs.

"
-Life Abroad-

There wasn’t really interesting about the people around her. More like, as she had observed in the past two months, they were the kind of people who value socializing with harmony - just like any other civilized community one would find themselves in.

It wasn’t really a big surprise for her. She had learned of their ways before coming to such a civilized and proper society that was incomparable to other countries she had been before (and that, she somehow grew accustomed to it). Martha Brux (last name pronounced as ‘Brooks‘) had in fact, awfully enjoyed their company and wished to extend her friendship with them. However, she had learned that although they strictly enjoy being with others, there was that strange and indefinite emotion resurfacing in the depths of her heart, forceful yet hesitant to be known as she had lived and worked with them. Martha, unsure of how to name and deal with it, had decided to postpone her initial plan and instead, opted to keep herself to herself and continued observing them from the sideline.


People might have thought that she was a recluse, a loner, who finds solace by being alone and would just watch people rather than mingle with them. This very impression was actually really creepy, and some had kept their own thoughts from being expressed. Due to this, different impressions were interpreted but none of them knew what the truth was.

Now, people have different perspectives. Each, depending on the type of attitude and personality one has. For Martha, she could only interact when the need arose. The need to spend more time with others didn’t appeal to her. In fact, she found it tiresome and cumbersome, the very feelings she wanted to avoid as much as possible. She felt that the people around her were only socializing for the sake of socializing. Engaging in such an endeavour dreaded her.

What Martha wanted was someone who she can converse her thoughts freely - someone who she didn’t need to feel anxious due to some social restraints, or emotional attachments to. It sounded implausible to others and Martha knew how hopeless her desire was for such a person to exist.

Existing in such a utopia, Martha learned that the thing she had wanted to do would be futile. So, with a heavy heart, Martha continued living in solitude.

Despite of that, Martha knew that the only way for her to live a functional life was to cope with the way the people around her live. Although it seemed forced and superficial, Martha knew better than to force her own thoughts.

© 2020 EbonyFair


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

12 Views
Added on June 29, 2020
Last Updated on June 29, 2020
Tags: Society, norms, socializing