Truth or Dare

Truth or Dare

A Poem by Kelly Scheppers
"

...a philosophical take on an old adage

"

Truth or Dare

 

 

Truth

the world is cold…

tomorrow belongs

to no one…

there is more good

than evil…

time is

effortlessly fleeting.

 

 

Dare

to pray

on bended knee…

to perpetuate

humanity

and kindness…

to imagine

a better world…

to forgive

the unforgiven.

 

 

© 2018 Kelly Scheppers


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sometimes it seems as though evil is winning because evil gets all the publicity. I wish for every news item which focuses on an atrocity, the same time is given to to publicise an act of great humanity. That way we would get some balance. Alas it seems that good news doesn't sell newspapers. Forgiveness is the utmost kindness. This week the father of Stephen Lawrence who was murdered in a racial attack in London 25 years ago, said that because of his strong faith he had forgiven his son's killers. It takes huge courage to be able to do that. We all need to be more tolerant and we all need to be more forgiving. The beautiful words in your poem deserve to be read over and over again. That's why I have come back to them this morning. Time is indeed fleeting. We are just a mote of dust when it comes to the passage of time. Here one minute and gone the next.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

Your review makes me very proud of this piece. Thank you, Chris!
Chris Shaw

6 Years Ago

Hello Kelly. You are welcome. Lovely work.
Such a beautiful poem!And I loved the ending.What it all comes down to is finding the strength to forgive the unforgiven.Well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

Thank you. It's always a thrill to gain a new reader!
I pray everyday for peace and calm. I burn sage for our leaders to learn to lead with concern, kindness and to listen. A wonderful poem shared Kelly. Need to be read by more people.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

Your kindness is deeply appreciated, John. Thank you!
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Was my pleasure Kelly and you are welcome.
what a poem there is truth in every line, the challenge in the dare part is so awesome, nicely expressed

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Sette. It's rewarding for me knowing you enjoyed it!
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
sette

6 Years Ago

you are most welcome
Akin to a secular prayer of the century!

regards,
al

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

...lovely thought and compliment! Thank you, Al!
Truth
The world can be cold, but it is up to us to warm it up, figuratively speaking of course. Tomorrow doesn't exist. There is here and there was then. There are no promises beyond this instant.
Dare
We can only try to make our lives account for something, to make life better for those we meet, strangers and friends. We can forgive but we must not forget.

Good write, Kelly

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

My muse gets philosophical on me every now and then. I really appreciate this, Ted. Thank you!
Wonderful and in doing so you set yourself free- for those who are free are free indeed- 🌹

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the compassion of your words. It was rewarding for me to pen this!
‘Thoughts In Time’🌹

6 Years Ago

My pleasure a wonderful write🌹
It's a good format that reads pretty nicely.

I think good, bad, time and morality in general are subjective things though. What is good for the hawk is bad for the rabbit; what lasts forever for the trapped goes by in an instant for the free; what is spiritual to the one can be seen as devilry to the other. Every morally complex assertion rests on perspective. The ending of your poem transcends that and is what pure religion should and I think was meant to be -- universal forgiveness and understanding.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

I love your perspective. Thank you!
this is divine. you've got it all right here. this is what it comes down to. love the contrast and especially that ending. relatable and applicable on many levels. very touching piece effecting a strong message. great one Kelly ... :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Years Ago

You always give a strong validation...thank you, Pete!

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

884 Views
29 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 24, 2018
Last Updated on April 25, 2018

Author

Kelly Scheppers
Kelly Scheppers

San Diego, CA



About
I was never a pearl kind of girl... always wore jeans with holes in the knees. more..

Writing