Poetry by Dead Men

Poetry by Dead Men

A Poem by Kelly Scheppers

Poetry by Dead Men

 

 

my feet were crossed

within his lap

as he read to me

poetry by dead men

 

i listened with earnest intent

as the atmosphere around me slipped

into oblivion

as the spine of books

crackled  upon opening

to pages in sepia tones

spoken in the tenor of his voice

 

there were offerings of Robert Frost,

of how the woods

were dark and lovely and deep…

e.e. cummings,

who wrote about the rain with all its obscurities

having such small hands.

 

the afternoon was well spent,

like Hemingway’s fisherman was to the sea

my heart became a voyager

to the past

as winter was no more an intrusion

with an accumulation of snow

 

as he read to me

poetry by dead men.







 

© 2024 Kelly Scheppers


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Dreamy moments... lovers caressing each other with words - which live beyond the lives of their authors. Your poem flows easily and wastes no words; it holds together well in its structure and poise. Intensely enjoyable.

[I only wrote this for the foot rub, lol]

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelly Scheppers

1 Month Ago

Lol, I love it!! You may go to the front of the line, Jibey. Thank you for noticing!



Reviews

Yep… this is the poetry I came here to find. Do you ever get to that point where you just feel like you need to be nourished? That’s how it feels with poetry too sometimes I guess.

I love how casual it was at the beginning. The feet in the lap. It feels relaxing and safe and it welcomes us into the poem also. Then there’s this glorious bluntness of poetry by dead man, and it adds so much weight to the imagery.

Completely adore the stripped back approach to grammar, and it completely works in this context.

Thank you for sharing this.



Posted 6 Days Ago


Your poem is passion surpassed and more than welcome at my door! Then, take a brief walk to the sofa where peace, anticipation and love combined will curl within the gentle shadow of a special, perhaps a deep voice and brief smiles, pauses and exhaled breaths of contentment. There is magic in the sound of a darling reading other men's' words - not naughtiness, not intrusion but - an explosion of past (dead poet) experience and more - the understanding of a fully alive man knowing how to interpret his gender's abilities and emotions. Magic!

Posted 3 Weeks Ago


Well done, Kelly. Author's of the past, through their words, can still speak to us through time. That includes authors no longer with us on WC.

Posted 3 Weeks Ago


This is Fabulous Kelly - a 'masterpiece' indeed. Lovin' that Robert Frost vibe ✨️✨️✨️✨️✨️

Posted 1 Month Ago


Kelly Scheppers

1 Month Ago

Thank you for your presence here, Tony. I find it a gift in my ordinary day!
what a delightful scene to have seen in your words:) I have been doing a lot of reading lately mostly of old poetry textbooks that my mother gave me and mostly written by dead men (and ladies) LOL there is a delicious smell to old sepia toned books that many find somewhat off-putting However I find it smells like home:)

Posted 1 Month Ago


Kelly Scheppers

1 Month Ago

I'd have to agree with you on that, Robert. I think perhaps that's why I collect them (books) and lo.. read more
Nothing like a being curled up in your lover's lap and having dead poets' writings read to you...so cozy and romantic, lovers enjoying their time together...just listening to words...maybe a glass of wine would set a perfect scene...well written
Warmly, B

Posted 1 Month Ago


Kelly Scheppers

1 Month Ago

Thank you, Betty. Always a pleasure to see you!
Betty Hermelee

1 Month Ago

You’re very welcome Kelly; hope all is well with you….
Warmly, B
Good write my favorite is Poe Annbelee, thank you for sharing..

Posted 1 Month Ago


Kelly Scheppers

1 Month Ago

Another favorite. So hard to choose! Thank you most kindly, Mauricio!
i don't rermember who said it but
" The only good poets are dead ones" , i always thought sarcastic until i became a poet and saw much more meaning into the phrase ..
I would love to sit , have my feet stroked whilst a lovely tenor voice read to me the words of dead poets..

Posted 1 Month Ago


Kelly Scheppers

1 Month Ago

I think I speak for everyone here. Now I ask you, who wouldn't love a foot rub? You can count me i.. read more
Hi Dear Kelly,
I love poetry, i love to read others shayari, it makes me delight when someone writes about us, i like both when someone writes about you bluntly and also praises you, but sometimes when we are not that person the poet describes us is like a hurt. Anyways anyone likes praising but i do accept constructive criticism too. I like my man's poetry he does very nicely, with a hurt too sometimes only to have a minor tease i think so.
I want to help you whatever i can from base level being part of the masses in the company, i am getting people's attention as they treat me well and well received me, i am fine being at base level for them and to you have a better team, you proceed with your own strategies to get more work, once we estableish what we had before and then exceed to park, i think i will take up better responsibility in company, it will not take a year or two if we are proceeding in our ways as of now, i would be more happy if he also joins you and helps you. As of now i dont see any issues in the team, we are good, and still working to get better quality and efficient work.
Thank you for understanding and giving me a chance though it was by Dad, and also you to continue me to deliver my services. please let me know if something better can be done.

i wish you and your husband are having good time, i see your hubby so caring and never wants you to get hurt, so nice of him to have you and you him too.

i love you,
Jessy Jacob.
a purple heart.


Posted 1 Month Ago


Kelly Scheppers

1 Month Ago

Thank you for your visit, Jessy! Take care!
JessyJacob

1 Month Ago

really glad to hear from you, but you are too slow in controlling, little boldness is needed, which .. read more
Excellent. We had one teacher when I was in school that read poetry ... and read it beautifully. Sometimes hearing someone else read a poem out loud gives it a new life. ~Jim

Posted 1 Month Ago


Kelly Scheppers

1 Month Ago

Thank you so much for your visit, Jim. I do hope you'll return!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

466 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 10, 2024
Last Updated on March 10, 2024

Author

Kelly Scheppers
Kelly Scheppers

San Diego, CA



About
I was never a pearl kind of girl... always wore jeans with holes in the knees. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Slant Slant

A Poem by DIVYA