The lion and the woodcutter

The lion and the woodcutter

A Story by Murtaza Kanue
"

This story centers on employment issues and delves into the psychological games played by employers.

"
In the heart of downtown Srinagar, Kashmir, an oppressive dairy empire was governed by Khawaja. In this harsh environment, two employees, Buch and Sidd, endured a life of servitude, residing in a meager shed that barely qualified as suitable living quarters. Khawaja consistently subjected them to verbal abuse and withheld any form of praise for their diligent work. He manipulated them into believing that they were entirely dependent on his employment, convincing them that no other employer would offer them a job. Consequently, they submitted to Khawaja's dominance, fearing the loss of their livelihood. Despite being the least paid employees in all of Srinagar, Khawaja continued amassing wealth, thanks to the hard work of Buch and Sidd.

One day, a new employee named Sultan joined their ranks. Despite enduring the same mistreatment as Buch and Sidd, Sultan possessed a spark of self-awareness and resilience. After enduring three consecutive days of Khawaja's harsh words and abuse, Sultan decided to challenge the oppressive atmosphere.

"Mind your language, Khawaja," Sultan asserted one day, surprising Khawaja, Buch, and Sidd with his courage. The revelation left Khawaja seething with anger, but he refrained from uttering a word, realizing the situation was not in his favor. Buch and Sidd were also in shock, witnessing something new and unusual, and they returned to their humble shed after a long working day.

Recognizing their confusion, Sultan began to recount a tale from another village. "In a distant village," Sultan began, "a menacing lion became a recurring nightmare. Every time the beast approached, terror gripped the villagers, and they would scream, 'Run, the Lion is coming! Run for your lives!' The lion, fueled by the fear it instilled, grew more powerful and fierce with each visit.

However, amidst the frightened villagers, a wise young man pondered the peculiar connection between their screams and the lion's increasing strength. Realizing that the very announcement of the lion's presence empowered the beast, he devised a cunning plan.

Approaching the villagers, the young man proposed a shift in strategy. 'When the lion comes,' he suggested, 'let's change our cries. Instead of shouting about the lion, we'll claim a dangerous woodcutter is in our midst. Watch how the lion reacts.'

Though met with skepticism, the young man managed to convince the villagers to try his plan. When the lion returned to the village, the familiar cries of terror rang out, but this time they declared, 'The woodcutter is here! Run for your lives!'

Confused and alarmed by the unexpected shift in the narrative, the lion's confidence wavered. It pondered, 'Who is this woodcutter they are running from? He must be a formidable threat if not a single one is shouting my name.'

Panicking at the thought of an unknown and potentially more dangerous adversary, the lion, for the first time, felt fear. In a desperate bid for self-preservation, the once-mighty predator turned and fled, leaving the village in peace.

In the face of danger, wisdom and cleverness prevailed over brute strength, allowing the villagers to outsmart the once-ferocious lion and regain control of their lives.

As Sultan concluded the tale, he continued by saying that they are the lions in this story because they are the ones running this business from milking to delivering, and Khawaja is the boy who realizes that calling them lions will be difficult because if they recognize their power, they will demand more pay and more rights. That’s why he always abuses them, claiming they are not worthy of any job, and makes them believe that he is the only one providing them a job and no one else will.

Buch and Sidd listened intently, their minds absorbing the lesson woven into the narrative.

Inspired by the story, Buch and Sidd started to question their own situation. The next day, when Khawaja unleashed his disrespectful tirade upon Buch, he spoke up for the first time, "I do everything you say, but I won't tolerate disrespect anymore. We deserve respect."

Sidd echoed Buch's sentiments, and the once-subservient duo found their voices. Khawaja, caught off guard, faced an unexpected rebellion.

Realizing the threat to his dominance, Khawaja hastily kicked Sultan out of his job. Undeterred, Sultan left with a laughter-laden statement, "I'll find jobs where respect matters more than money."

Yet, faced with fear, Buch and Sidd reverted to their submissive roles, fearing for their jobs. While leaving, Sultan, disappointed with both Buch and Sidd, taunted, "You both will never escape your miserable life."

In the end, paralyzed by fear, Buch and Sidd continued their subservient existence, never breaking free from their miserable life. The moral of the story emphasizes the importance of recognizing one's worth and standing up against oppression, as failing to do so can lead to a perpetuation of misery and missed opportunities.

© 2024 Murtaza Kanue


Author's Note

Murtaza Kanue
Kindly ignore grammatical errors

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on January 19, 2024
Last Updated on January 19, 2024
Tags: #business, #selfhelp, #psychilogy, #employement, #issues, #empowerment

Author

Murtaza Kanue
Murtaza Kanue

Srinagar , Jammu and Kashmir , India



About
Believer of Allah and a time traveller 😎 more..

Writing