CHAPTER1 - can't believe my eyes

CHAPTER1 - can't believe my eyes

A Chapter by Not Here
"

Adalynn hears news of Keenan's return. Little does she know that he has returned . . . with a little surprise.

"

RIING!

School was finally over for Adalynn. At least for the day. She grabbed her book bag as she briskly headed out the door, following the crowd of university students trying to get home. Every day, Adalynn had to get out of school early just to get to her job. Sure, the timing was horrible and she'd been late several times, but the pay she got made up for it. Adalynn was now nineteen and held the position of being a waitress at a nearby cafe. It'd been four years since she last saw Keenan, the boy she'd been head over heels for since they first met in middle school.

When Adalynn finally managed to confess her feelings, (him doing the same) Keenan had to move to England, because his father had managed to get a promotion there. Since then, Adalynn vowed to await his return. You'd think that after four long years he'd already have returned. Adalynn tried to smile, which was always hard for her after thinking of Keenan.

Entering the cafe, Adalynn realized that it wasn't all too full at the moment, and could easily spot her boss, Franchesca, who had also noticed her enter. "Adalynn!" greeted Franchesca, as happily as a thirty-two year old woman could. Adalynn was always on good terms with her, unlike some other employees who thought of her as an annoying old hag. "Hurry up and put on your uniform!" she heard Franchesca command.

With a slight nod of her head, Adalynn headed into the now empty changeroom and put on her uniform. She had a black full skirt that reached just above her knees and a plain white polo shirt with nothing but her nametag and the cafe logo on it. As a finishing touch, Adalynn tied her wavy brown hair into a high ponytail. During high school, she used to straighten her hair, but got used to the wavy look of it after she graduated. Oddly enough, since she started leaving her hair wavy, she'd gotten quite a bit more attention from boys.

As if to prove that point, when Adalynn left the changeroom, she saw a group of young boys outside. They pointed at her before running into the cafe. Adalynn giggled at their attempts to shove each other out of the way just to be first inside. When they finally did get inside, Adalynn happily seated them at a table for five. The minute she asked to take their order, the boys began to argue once again.

"I'm ordering first!"

"No, I am!"

"Hey, I was gonna say that!"

"Shut up!"

"I'm ordering first 'cause I'm paying!"

"With my money!"

Adalynn had to stifle a laugh. "Uh, guys?" she said, trying to get their attention, which worked. They apologized and finally ordered cake and a few other desserts. She served them and many others quickly while at the same time being sociable. Then she heard the clink of the entrance chimes. As she looked to see who had entered she saw two familiar people, bolting through the door and panting madly.

Larissa and Marie.

Adalynn decided to let the other waiters and waitresses serve the customers for a bit while she spoke with the two. Luckily Franchesca liked Adalynn enough to let her do that sometimes. "Guys, what are you doing?" she asked.

Larissa decided to respond seeing as Marie looked like she was on the verge of hyperventilating from all the running. "Adalynn!" she shouted, so loud that some of the customers turned their attention over to them. Larissa, looking embarrased, quickly added, "My bad," before continuing. "We have the best news!"

"Well, best for you anyway," Marie remarked after catching her breath.

Adalynn, curious as she was, pressed, "What news?"

Marie looked like she was going to scream out the answer, so Larissa covered her mouth and quietly said the words that made Adalynn very excited.

"Keenan's coming back!"

Her excitement was so overwhelming that Adalynn had to desperately try not to scream. Instead she asked, not hiding how eager she was, "When?"

"Today!" Marie squealed. She obviously wasn't as good as Adalynn at holding back. Before she could ask any questions, Larissa spoke once more.

"He already came back from the airport and he's gonna be at the bus stop soon so you better get going!"

Adalynn nodded and ran over to Franchesca. "Franchesca!" she yellled, getting her attention. "Can I have a break right now? I swear I'll make up for it, but right now I really have to get to the bus stop because Keenan's coming back and I haven't seen him in four years! I mean, I really miss him and it's kinda hard to not want to see him again after this long and--"

Her long rant was cut off when Franchesca practically screamed, "Okay! Okay! Gosh, you can go! No need to harass me with a rant on this boy!"

A large grin made it's way to Adalynn's face as she hugged Franchesca. "Oh my gosh! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

Instantly she ran into the changeroom, changing out of her uniform into a pair of dark denim shorts that reached halfway down her thigh and a white tank top with a pansy purple cardigan. As soon as she finished changing, she hurried out the door leaving a several disappointed customers and a very confused boss.

The smile never left Adalynn's face since Larissa told her about Keenan's return. With the unusually high amount of energy that she had, Adalynn arrived at the bus stop in less than ten minutes. Although there was a bench where people could sit while waiting for the bus, Adalynn decided to stay in a spot a little but further away. She sat beneath an oak tree nearby, leaning against its thick truck under the shade of the leaves. It was thirty two degrees celsius out so you couldn't exactly blame her for wanting to sit under a shady tree.

She waited there patiently, for quite a bit of time. It made Adalynn doubt what Larissa said about him being here so soon. Nonetheless Adalynn waited. If she could wait four years for this day, she could wait a few minutes or even more for him to arrive. Adalynn was so tired from waiting that she felt her eyes start to close. She opened them quickly after she realized this. She didn't want to fall asleep and risk missing Keenan.

Suddenly she heard a noise. She immediately recognized it. The sound of a bus coming to a halt. As soon as she heard it, Adalynn stood up abruptly in anticipation, hoping that Keenan was somewhere in that bus. She stared as the bus came to a full stop and the doors swung open. The people inside fell in line, waiting patiently to exit the bus.

Adalynn looked around, trying to spot Keenan. Then something caught her eye. She saw a pair of unusually mesmerizing dark brown eyes and messy jet black hair. She also saw the attractive face of the man that she always remembered since the two met. She saw Keenan.

However, the sight before Adalynn was not one she wanted to see. It made her eyes fill with tears and her heart shatter into a million pieces. Adalynn  couldn't believe her eyes. It was Keenan, alright. But standing next to him, laughing and leaning toward him was . . . another girl.

 



© 2009 Not Here


Author's Note

Not Here
I finally decided to write the chapter.
Afte much nagging.
Sorry it's a bit short.
The ending was a bit expected, dontcha think?
I just felt like putting it.
I haven't the slightest clue as to why.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

HEEELLLLOOO BIN BINN
it was awesomeee
and i hate that "other girl". She should go fall in a holeee. :)
Hahaaa "after so much nagging"
I HAVE BEEN RESPONSIBLE FOR THE NAGGING ! xD
Andd nicee clilfffy.
Can't wait 'till next chapterr .

Posted 14 Years Ago


Dun, dun, DUN!! Poor Adalynn... unless... that girl was just a friend and no one special!!! Oh well...

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 16, 2009
Last Updated on June 16, 2009


Author

Not Here
Not Here

The Cupboard Under the Stairs



About
Hello! Well, I'm really not sure what to say so I'll just do the basics: N a m e : - Not telling ;) But just call me Binbin A g e : - Old enough to get an account on this thing legally wi.. more..

Writing