Speed

Speed

A Story by Aimee Mahathy
"

A preview of what the contents of my book will be like~

"
Life began with a pace, a heartbeat. I must've known this as a baby. Mom said I rocked a lot, I probably felt it. But I became, as we all do, rather self-centered in childhood and perceived no beat but my own.
And in the era of great confusion, when I was in my late teens, I became aware of the beat again. It was fast, angry, and chaotic. Luckily, I was the same. My own personal speed matched that of the natural one so perfectly. I kept one ill-thought step ahead of it and it kept one maddeningly hasty step ahead of me.
And the Sun, with his many spots and angry arms, mimics the new beat.
I have this overwhelming sense of immensity, enormity, a huge calamity is welling up beneath the surface of this normal and humanely mundane life. We're all drunk behind the wheel. Slurring our speech and saying to ourselves "I got this." Not one of us can see the gigantic brick wall we're headed for. I can't either, but I can feel the space between our car and its immovable face closing, and closing fast.
I find it funny. I laugh, because we're all so unaware, so cocky and confident. A storm is brewing and we're all in the shower.

© 2011 Aimee Mahathy


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Aimee Mahathy
So this is kind of what I want to do with that book I'm going to write. Little things like this. Not stories, not even blips of an autobiography. I don't know what to call it, but stuff like this rolls around my head constantly. Sometimes I think it might be worth sharing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yeah, this would make a good prologue to your story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A little fatalistic, but written with plenty of wit and irony. Kind of helps to understand our blind, headlong drive to self-extermination. Looking forward to more of this ilk, Aimee. Good work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I thought this was great, and feel you should call this Heading for the End Zone ( or black zone). Because you paint a picture of our ultimate demise in a very great way.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 26, 2011
Last Updated on February 26, 2011

Author

Aimee Mahathy
Aimee Mahathy

Bloomington, IL



About
I'm 33 now, much more settled into myself, and getting back to it again. The previous about me is gonna stay for now, since it's still somewhat accurate and I need some time to figure out what to say .. more..

Writing