Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Melody-Rose;

What has my life become? I wondered, lying in my bed, trying helplessly to break the pattern of sleep deprivation. My hands scraped against my rough, unshaven face. As I pulled them back, I realised that, once again, my body was drenched in sweat. I rubbed my eyes, trying to relieve the heaviness that had been brought on from another sleepless night; specks of light flooded my vision.


My room was starting to become bright, looking through the window I noticed the sun peeking out behind the hills, lightening an otherwise dark and corrupt world. I didn’t know what day it was anymore. I didn’t even know what month it was. I didn’t want to. I just wanted to sleep, for a few hours, or days. Maybe even forever. I decided it was time to get out of bed. Sleep wasn’t coming, I knew that. It hadn’t visited me in days.


Walking through to the kitchen I realised how messy my apartment had gotten. Clothes were strewn across the small space I called a living room. There were unwashed dishes and cutlery cluttering the stained counter top. Dirt and grime covered the walls, stove and basin. I picked up a dirty mug from the sink and flicked the switch on the kettle. It didn’t matter to me that the mug had coffee stains and grime in it, I needed a caffeine fix to get me through another day. I don’t remember the last time I had eaten, all I’ve consumed in days is coffee.


I lounged on the two seater couch with a coffee in one hand a TV remote in the other. I turned on the television, not caring what was on, as long as I wasn’t left alone with my thoughts. Everything was fine until the news updates flashed the screen with drama. Normally, I wouldn’t care about what was going on in the world, but this one particular story caught my attention. Turning up the volume loud enough my downstairs neighbours could hear, I heard something that made my whole face turn white and my stomach churn with despair.


“The body of twenty-six year old Isabela Blake was found in her fourth storey apartment late last night. Authorities say she died of a suspected drug overdose. Thousands of dollars worth of illegal and prescription drugs, as well as syringes and smoking implements had been seized from her apartment at the scene.”


A picture of her showed up on the screen and a lump formed in my throat as well as a knot in my stomach. I quickly ran to the toilet; just in time for, what felt like, litres of coffee and stomach acid to expel itself from my mouth. Feeling flushed, I sat against the wall of my bathroom, beads of sweat dripping from my forehead.


It was her. She was dead. I began to cry uncontrollably. It was something that I had expected but now that my suspicions had been verified, I felt completely lost in this world. Maybe I needed help, but it wasn’t something I was going to admit, not to myself or anybody else. Not that I had anyone, I’d lost everyone I’d ever loved. I was alone.



© 2013 Melody-Rose;


Author's Note

Melody-Rose;
Be honest, please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
Added on April 15, 2013
Last Updated on April 16, 2013
Tags: teen, adult, fiction, novel, book, chapter, drugs


Author

Melody-Rose;
Melody-Rose;

Perth, Western Australia, Australia



Writing
Malice Malice

A Book by Melody-Rose;


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Melody-Rose;