My Addiction - My gift My Curse - part 1

My Addiction - My gift My Curse - part 1

A Story by Nadine
"

Raven became a vampire after the loss of her human family. While she had been addicted to the tales when alive, she never imagined any of it to be true. She is an impulsive quirky kind of girl, she sm

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of My Addiction - My gift My Curse - part 1 .



My Addiction

“My Gift, My curse”

Written by Nadine Cloete

Part 1

 

 

 

                      

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Definition on “Addiction”

1. “Being abnormally tolerant to and dependent on something that is    psychologically or physically habit-forming”

2. “An abnormally strong craving”

3. “The state of being addicted; devotion; inclination; A habit or practice that damages, jeopardizes or shortens one's life but when ceased causes trauma; A pathological relationship to mood altering experience that has life damaging consequences”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PROLOGUE

 

It had been a long and hard journey that led me to this day. I never considered to ever being in this type of a position. In essence, I never felt of that much importance, and yet - so, this day continued, everyone fighting for their own purpose, their own vengeance. The day would end with a battle not won by either side. There would be losses with seemingly no gain….

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MAIN CHARACTER �" CH 1

 

   It was a misty morning as I perched myself on the edge of the old age home’s roof. I didn’t look a day older than 29 in physical resemblance even though in years I had been fortunate enough to reach the age of a 105.

 

   Sitting on top of an old age home is what I had recently made my newfound addiction. It was this thing I did to fill up the empty space inside, the empty hole that most people tried to fill with “business”. Everyone had a different reaction when dealing with pain. Some would work hard, other would go on a vacation, and some go for haircuts and tattoos. I was a vampire. Not exactly the type of thing that could mingle with general society.

 

   And so I caught myself sitting around daydreaming. I was reliving their years, their memories and yet so much of my own. Damien hated these stages since he felt it to be some sort of depression. As usual I wasn’t fazed by his outburst and went my own way as I had for numerous years. I wanted to be old. I wanted to die �" loved. Yet, my time just never came. My number was never up.

 

   I imagined jumping down every now and then, strutting down towards one of the benches, where an old woman and her companion sat day after day. I imagined myself greeting them and asking them about general things in their life. The conversation would be easy; flowing �" normal. Then I imagined myself recalling historical dates �" in the beginning they might recall some and even take part in the conversation, but in the end …. What would they think of 29-year-old describing historical events as if it was yesterday, as is she was part of it? As if, she was in it. 

 

   This is what I did every couple of years. As soon as I felt as if I had lost my purpose to Life, I started leeching onto things people could remember - Memories; photos, historical events and occasions.

 

   I wasn’t oblivious to the fact that those that surrounded me thought that I might have lost the plot. In fact, I am sure I did, I just managed it better than they would if they lived to the age of 105. They cursed me for moping around life. They felt that if they had the gift of life and eternity they would use it differently.

 

   It was different for me; I had fought my wars, loved with passion, lived my life to the full and in the end - remained frozen.

 

   There were some leaves fluttering down onto the roof as I sprawled my body open on top of the roof. I embraced the sun and inhaled the air as if it was the first time, smells and sunshine took me back to the past when I had transformed. It was a long; long time ago.     

 

 

 

 

 

 

STORY LINE - CHAPTER 1 �" AND SO THE STORY BEGAN.

“One fire burns out another’s burning, One’s pain is lessened by another’s anguish. “ �" Romeo and Juliette

 

Vampire girl; searching for eternal love … I know - it is such a cliché, but so it began, this is my story �" and I am finally about to let it out to the world.  

   “Death was easy, silent, and comfortable �" life was more difficult” it had hurt, the whole transformation. My endless search finally got me to this stage in life where I discovered that it was true - majority of the mythical historical stories had a truth to them.

   As my gran used to say, “Waar daar ‘n rookie is, is daar definitief ‘n vuurtjie “(where there is smoke; there is definitely fire) “. Stories aren’t just told, they originate from something; whether they are passed on from generation to generation or just brought up by an idea -it had sparked from something; someone had brought up the experience; the bottom line �" it was a human creation.

I had been created and now the only thing left for me to do was �" focus on what I was planning on doing with this; creation - being me.

Smiling inwardly, I wondered: “Good bat / bad bat” �" wicked thought.  

 

I didn’t want to be bad. Naughty yes but - bad has never been my nature. Now that I had, the immortality to live without “life’s restrictions” what was I going to do with all my time. What was I going to do with all this freedom?

I ran my fingers down the wall next to me and smirked. It was with some sort of relief that I discovered that I had a gift, or maybe a curse … While alive, I had the gift to sometimes dream about things …. If I was lucky enough to remember them when I woke up, I knew that it meant that somewhere in my life I was going to experience the Déjà-vu thing that people related too.

After my transformation, I was fortunate to be able to see things … further; my visions would change though - as people change their minds all the time. I wasn’t able to keep track of decisions, I was only able to see what road lay ahead for the person while I was in close proximity of that person and I had met their gaze, it would be based on their current decisions though…thus my gift was limited.

   It was surprisingly painful since people could change their life’s course with every decision they make.

   Just imagine - You might have wanted coco pops for breakfast but instead when you got to the kitchen you decided on Pro-Nutro this could change a lot in your day … it could change a lot in your life. Regretfully I was thus a walking “change bomb” when it came to people and their decisions.

Figuratively my skin had become a pale white, a problem for someone in Africa. People would anticipate that I might have some kind of a disease. Astoundingly, while gazing at my reflection it was a “pretty” pale �" a gift a curse.

 

My eyes had gone from un-obvious shades of green to a more penetrating green - a gaze little would forget once they come past it.

 

I wasn’t a 100 percent sure about the sunlight; not yet. From what I read about it in ancient history, I was supposed to die, I was supposed - to burn with its slightest touch. As far as I could tell however, I was able to move amongst humans. I was just seen as very pale. Not that it mattered that much - since I had always been pale �" my mind plundered ahead.

   Whilst alive, I always use to joke around and say that I wasn’t a real South African I should have been born European.

   I was never a great traditional South African �" Afrikaans �" cultured - individual. I am sure if I did live in the original old Republic, they might have put me in banishment for my views on civilization and culture.

   I was not very fond of South African music; was never very fond of Afrikaans movies, definitely not into the - “I am all “Boer “thing” either.

  

Whist alive, I had family that was apparently related to the great old Boer history, which was interesting to know. I never understood where I got my genes from then since I truthfully never experienced any willingness to be part of their heritage.

 

I grew up in a different time, where everyone was working for themselves. The governments had been corrupt and the national system only worked for some.

   I am not a racist at all, I believe that everyone makes with life what he or she wants. If you are clever, you are clever - and if you are stupid, you are stupid. After all - “you are the sailor of your own …“.

 

The current situation within our councils and government institutions in general was terrible. Service levels had been non - existing for a while and it started taking its toll on majority of its citizens.

In fact, I had a slight suspicion that some of my kind had to be involved in the Eskom power outages. What better way to build your own species and power nation �" I convinced myself.

 

Just to let you in on the situation - Africa was experiencing random periods where the power would go off in numerous areas around the continent. They said, it was a good way to save on electricity, I however thought and now I know it was a good way for some hungry armies to dawn onto random places and rest their appetites. It was clear since only some areas had been affected.

 

The end of my first life had come eventually after exceptional bouts of pain … my family had been erased in a car crash - I was the only survivor. There had been hundreds of deaths. It was a windy day on our drive back from Cape Town, we came down a mountain pass and a truck had jack knifed in the middle of a turn, it was a blind turn - no one saw it coming.

 

I had been the only survivor.

 

Months of pain in hospital didn’t make my life any easier, it just made me prudent to the fact that I didn’t want to live anymore. After all, it wasn’t the first time I had arrived in front of this door.

   On the family front - we had some great memorable times before this bad luck had come upon us. I had scheduled a list of countries to travel to; it was a reason for me to carry on with the monotonous lifestyle I had been irritated with at the time.

   We would work eleven months of the year to have this four weeks of escape. It would become our routine, but it would be worth it.

Reality check �" my creator never agreed to the fact that I would get my satisfaction of everlasting love in one lifetime, it was obvious that I had to continue this journey. It was with this realization that I sat.

I had remained behind again…

 

Someone once told me that in their religion they believed that people came back in a new form - different to their current life. They would continuously come back in different forms until …

I never got to the part of until what.

Surely, there had to be an ending.

   Any way the point I wanted to bring across was that apparently, whatever you indulged in your first life you would have a lack of in your second. The moral … Apparently, I was stinking rich in my 1st life and I loved unconditionally …

   I would rather have liked believing in soul mates. At least then, I would know that with my husband; my family - it was never good-bye but always until we meet, again … the reminder was sheer agony. If I had died - I would already have been on my way to meet them, but instead, my obsession had landed me into the pits of the unknown, it had led me to this. (Sad face)

   My life changed to this before my 30th birthday, before my 1st year of marriage, before my daughter went to primary school or my son to high school. This mattered. It mattered to me as I was left with a dead life to live into eternity.

It had ended as swiftly as it started.

   After I sat at my last deathbed, I had created my own. I sat at home for days - not eating, drinking, going out, working, maybe sometimes not even breathing - a speck of dust, on a planet waiting for the end to come to finally join the rest of my crazy squad.

 

Either way, as per the norm, release - never came, my pain would be stretched out into oblivion, and so it was - seconds; minutes; hours; days; weeks; months went past and still there was nothing that could come and savor me from myself.

 

At least that was until she came.

 

She sat next to me for days, listened to my story, sympathized with my losses. Held my hand when I couldn’t distinguish between reality and the past anymore. I’m referring to “she” since I was too weak to have noticed or even focused on who she could be. All I saw was shades. Shades of black; shades of light.  

   Reality only returned when I woke up to a burning sensation in my hand; struggling to grasp what and where it was coming from. Maybe I fell asleep with a cigarette in my hand �" was my initial thought - it happened a lot these days.

 

 

The woman however pushed down on me and whispered:” Jou tyd is nog nie verby nie kleinding, jy het nog tyd om dit te vind waarvoor jy hier is “(your time has not come yet my child, you will still have time to find what you had been destined to look for).

The pain was extreme - assumingly similar to one’s body being cut apart �" it was as if fire was burning through my veins, as if I had gone and stood in a pile of hot needles. I struggled to breath from the heat. I imagined my skin being scorched by the sun, I was sure this is what it would feel like if you had been doomed to the eternal pits of hell. Moreover, when I thought that I would no longer be able to scream, when every breath, and every effort had left my body it finally started subsiding. In its place, I experienced coldness, it originated from the tips of my fingers and slithered down my hand; it continued down the right side of my body, and then slowly made its way up the opposite side. The coldness filled my head with clarity; it encircled my whole body and finally came to an abrupt stop, in the exact location that used to be a pumping organ, a heart, at least … that is where I assumed my heart used to be.

   Things seemed very open- big; spaced out, airy - my senses tried to make sense of it all in hasty confusion. I could smell grass from the neighbors next door; the smell of sunlight grabbed me as I turned, there was the faint smell of pine trees from up the street and the even duller smell of old jacaranda tree’s �" located down the hill close to the cemetery. I smiled - I was able to smell everything - grass; water; rubber everything that existed and surrounded my total being had its own distinctive smell and vibration.

 

Hearing was as intoxication. My mind finally convinced the rest of me that I was able to hear everything; it was as if I turned into a female version of “Daredevil” - Sounds stretched around me until it seemed like forever, it vibrated along the corridors and windowsills of my now silent home. It rippled through the grass, up the tree stumps, down the leaves and got absorbed into the huge bubbles of air that I was now still trying to adapt to.

   It was as if I had stayed in bed for weeks with a bout of flu, and now I took my first steps back outside. It was as if I hadn’t seen the world for ages. Things smelled great, different �" new. I could feel the air and wind touch my skin. It made me feel alive, as if I had never lived before, I was reborn or born and this was now a different time, a different place. There were familiar surroundings, yet indifferent sensations.

 

The world - life looked different …

 

It was with this realization that I finally once again realized that even though I might have been surrounded by all these new anomalies; I had never felt this alone … the loneliness suffocated me. It was as if this new sense of me brought on a heavier, more intoxicating sense of loneliness.

   It was as if my breath was once again knocked out of me; the pain was so intense that it swirled within the pits of my stomach.

If I could breathe I begged and pleaded inwardly, - if gasping for air in my current state just had a purpose - I would have screamed out in agony…but there was nothing. And sometimes the “nothings” is what made it all the more painful.

  

I realized there was something else creeping up on me, there was the extreme sensation I couldn’t define ultimately at first. It was this “knowing” sensation cringing at the edge of my stomach; it was as if my mind was still trying to realize what it was. It was a familiar yet very unfamiliar sensation.  As it loomed and swirled around under my flesh, I suddenly realized with immense shock, what it was.

 

The realization hit me like a brick, it had the intense resemblance of a cement brick plunging down into a pavement �" finally I familiarized it with the familiar sensation of thirst. The sensation was similar to the feeling one experienced after a long run, it was that burning chest and throat that only water could replenish for a human.  

  

I swept down the passage wanting to drench my thirst, wanting to kill the intoxifiying burn; but oddly enough, the smell of water didn’t at all familiarize itself with the idea of the “normal �" logical accompanying gesture” �" to quench it. Instead, it actually kinda made me a little bit uncomfortable - queasy.

   Avalanche mode slapped down on me again and I had to face the fact that I was going to have to kill something … sometime �" soon. If I just had some help, some assistance, if someone had just stuck around to help me through this, show me the ropes, prepared me on what to expect.

   I started laughing - inwardly … it was a sad hysterical bubble that peeked out �" one would think that with my infatuation of vampire tales I would at least have some expectations, some knowledge of this world.

Internally, knowing myself, I knew that humans would definitely never be a thought, I had dealt with enough loss for thirty lifetimes and I would never want to put that onto any other human.

It was a logical decision.

   Disdainfully, my dilemma remained…

I didn’t know how to do this but I knew that this was a new beginning, one that had no balls and chains connected to it. I apparently, had to make the best of it. As I had been in life (Whilst alive), I am very adaptable….Was never a good actor but content with my decisions once they had been made. With that in mind, I lined up my thoughts.

 

   Okay so first things first … something to eat. I got up, too fast - apparently, as I almost collided with the door that leads out to the passage. Dust clouds flew up with my movement and I had to stop and recap on what just happened. I would need to take this completely new me a step at a time; I would need to start slowly - at the very beginning …

Next, I moved - one foot at a time, I was amazed at my body’s changes - my skin was slightly paler than what I was used to, my eyes a lot brighter, my hair red had turned into a platinum white.

 

   Uggh …………I have to admit that didn’t make me too happy. I liked red … In my current state that might not be the best thing to think about though … red. Blood running down my throat; blood dripping from my kid’s noses, blood curdling out my husband’s eyes … I shivered at the faint memories.

Reality was enough to make me try and refocus.

 

I turned trying to refocus - can’t do anything in my underwear �" clothes �" I shivered, I’d definitely need clothes.  

   I grinned as I pulled my closet open whatever was decently wearable �" for now �" would do.  Now to hunt …

 

 

 

 

 

STORY LINE - CHAPTER 2 �" THE HUNT

   ”Gee’z Louise”- I sighed as I suddenly realized my dilemma. I lived in the midst of Johannesburg; have done so for thirteen years, where in heavens name was I going to find something to eat? - I wondered as I stumbled through what remained of my house.

 

   My pets had all passed away like my family … not that I could bear the thought of eating any of them. The thought of pets however made me think of something else. I was hungry, thirsty �" whatever you’d like to call it. The mere thought of something quenching the burn was overwhelming. I never thought the idea of blood would make me want it so badly. With this frantic panic, I suddenly remembered something …   

The Zoo … the zoon would be a “safe” place to start. From thereon I would need to move to find something a bit more undetectable.

   It was twilight time in Johannesburg, a safe time for vampires.

I carefully trotted to the end of the passage out the door, unwillingly I managed to turn around for a split second to look at the little house - this would be the last thing I had of my whole life, it would be the last thing I was leaving behind forever…

   The only thing I am taking with me is a small necklace that holds a locket with a small compartment; I had added a little bit of soil into its compartment, it had a small photo located on the opposite side, a memory of lives never to be forgotten.

   The burning pain starting evoking the monster within the pits of my stomach and I decided that now would be the time to take my leap of faith before I am consumed with my losses. The idea to stick around a little longer might just lead into something potentially dangerous for my survived neighbors.

   With that thought in mind I took a step back; I put in all my effort to unleash my first jump; the first jump into my new existence. I added my every bit of concentration to reach the farthest point of landing I could. The zoo had not been too far from my house, if you went by car, it would have been approximately ten kilometers, which in time would be approximately - forty-five minutes drive in Johannesburg traffic; on a good day however without any traffic you’d be looking at approximately fifteen minutes. Being in my new form, it was a first personal best on foot.

   Admittedly, the idea of eating any animal, live - animal in any way wasn’t that appealing, especially since the thought crossed my mind that people would be rocking up to feed these animals in the morning and all they would see is a dead limp body. Hopefully, (and it was a faint hope) none of the kids would be interested in what my senses told me - had to be my supper.

 

   With disgust at myself, I remained still and concentrated on my whole being, what was my senses going for I questioned myself? I tried to relax; holding my breath, I opened up my hearing and leaned into my smell.

   There was a faint wave of music that came past from one of the huts where the permanent caretakers where staying - it sounded like �" “Die Heuwels fantasties “Way to go” a song I recalled my husband loved.  

 

   Again I had to shake off the memories - , that was all in the past now and I had to concentrate on the issue at hand. I started focusing past the human smell that lured out of the huts where the music originated.

   Although I had to admit that, the smell of flesh was at that exact moment, extremely enticing. So much so that I could envision myself beaming down the pathway and sneaking into the door. I could here the faint laughter of some of the ground staff.

 

“Joe dit was darem vir jou ‘n noue ontkoming met die swart panther vanoggend” (Joe that was a close encounter with the Black Panther this morning)

   Joe inhaled deeply as he apparently recalled the occurrence and exhaled loudly as he started giggling.

“Ja David, dit kan jy weer sê, daai feeks het amper my arm af gebyt” (yes David, you can say that again that shrew almost took my arm)   

   The smell was sweet yet irony; it made my stomachache and my throat burn so badly that if I had to be a dog I would have yelped in pain. I turned those words over in my thoughts if I were a dog….I focused on moving my senses away from that on towards the animals. My mind searched - Birdcages �" nope; elephants �" nope; zebra’s �" nope; lions �" nope. I stretched it to circle the entire carnivore setup and was lucky to finally focus onto something of interest. It was the animal that even while I was alive I had admired entirely. Her smell wrapped my mind; it intoxicated my sense and left me with no control. Before I realized it, my body had taken action.

   I swiftly ran down the brick corridors up to the end of the zoo-passing majority of the enclosures reaching for the end. Finally, I reached my main destination.

 

   The enclosure had high fences with a slow waterfall running through the trees down into a huge gap that separated the fences from the actual enclosure.

   The beast I had my eye on was mostly extinct to the western population since they had been confined to low mountains - having been displaced by humans from lower areas. They travel only through dense spruce forests, and are attracted to rocky areas and forests; they are from what I read - undoubtedly the world’s largest cats.

I peeked through the peeping hole to see what she was up to, her tail was shifting; up and down; up and down like a whip. As I moved closer to the enclosure, I could immediately see that she knew about the approaching danger, she was lying down under the bushes, waiting …

 

My instincts told me that approaching her directly might be a good option, a good option for me - as I won’t feel as guilty about what I am doing.

The adrenaline spiked in my now bloodless veins and my senses zeroed in on her throat. The sensation of close relief overwhelmed my body. I was no longer in control of it. I didn’t know how I was going to go about this, didn’t have the slightest idea of what to expect, all I heard was her thumping heartbeat - it became faster and faster the closer I got until the sound was the only thing I heard. It surrounded my world as if it wanted to break through my realms and become one with me.

   I maneuvered myself into the tree in front of it and impulsively launched myself onto her back. I was oblivious to any of my actions. At that moment, all I could think of was the sweet raw smell that surrounded my very existence. We rolled across the empty grass space into the small river that separated the enclosure from the spectators.

I didn’t want to make a big killing scene the thoughts rushed into my muddled mind. I won’t be able to live with the regret when I read the newspapers, I continued my argument. In hinds view I could already see it.

“SIBERIAN TIGER - BRUTAL MURDER - JHB ZOO”

I had to try and make it look like something else happened. I didn’t want to attract any attention, not to me, or my kind not now in any way.

   I struggled with the tiger. It’s ginormous paws plodded around for something, anything to grab hold of, cling onto. At first my efforts had been strained, it was after all my first kill but as I finally regained focus and poise, the defeat came faster. With every bubbled breath she took, I pushed a little deeper, increasing my hold with every swirl we took. Round and round as if we were dancing �" underwater. Her hold on the little livelihood she had was extreme, as extreme as I am sure it would be for anyone fighting to survive. In the end, my nails had torn into her furry flesh and I realized that I had finally overpowered her.

 

In a last effort, I reached for her back pushed my elbows into her side and held for dear life whilst drowning the magnificent beast.

 

Every time her unwillingness to die raged against my grip, I would shove her down a bit more until eventually the struggle became less and less. The bubbled air disturbed the service bed with less intenseness.

 

I remained crouched in this position, concentrating on my next step since I wanted to be extra sure that the cat didn’t get a swirl of second wind. “Rather save than sorry,” I muttered inwardly.

 

I honestly didn’t want to go through this whole ordeal again for a while, that I promised myself even though I was sure that this was a embarrassing moment for majority of my population. I was supposed to feed on the very first human that passed by, instead I had traveled across Johannesburg to the Zoo and seeked food within the perimeters of the zoo enclosure.

 

   Once I decided it was safe I slowly went up and scrutinized the area outside of the water focusing on the air around me. All seemed to be in place the music was still playing down the corridors and my fight for food hadn’t disturbed the general animal stance. I sighed at this realization.

 

It was as if I was never here, as if the mighty “almost” extinct tiger was sleeping at the bottom of her own riverbed and life continued as if normal for the rest of humanity. 

   I pulled the tiger out of the water and sloshed it next to the fake rocks under the tree.

Instinct told me to go for the main artery on the hind leg. Two little holes I muttered to myself, that all it was going to be. I finally bent over and had my first blood curdling meal. The blood sloshed down my throat. It had a warm tingling feeling; it was satisfying and made your stomach feel full. The sensation was similar to that of Horlicks, nice to drink on a cold night whilst sitting in front of a curdling fire. 

   I forced myself to not think about it - besides this wasn’t so bad; the cat was already dead �" I tried to convince myself. It wasn’t as if I was letting it bleed to death - my two minds continued their war.

 

I stared into the animal’s eyes �" dead eyes and suddenly wondered if animals could also turn into vampires. I hoped not. I mean I’m sure it couldn’t happen, cause if it could surely Africa would never have gotten this far. They would have mutated and fed to such an extent that humanity would surely have been extinct by now. The mere thought created shivers down my spine, a strange sensation since it wasn’t the familiar cold tingling that starts at the back of your neck. It was more a shock of realization to what could have happened. I decided to ignore this new gnawing itch at the pit of my stomach.

 

   I finally got back to my supper and eventually felt satisfied enough to let it go. Sadly, I felt refreshed and ready for life.

 

The irritating ache was still there thumping at the bottom of my throat - for now it was bearable though. If I refocused my attention, it was thankfully easy to set aside.

   With that I stood up, I positioned the cat in a sleeplike position and jumped up to the end of the enclosure. I wasn’t going back through the whole zoo again; it just brought back painful memories of days past as a human. Days lost forever. Now, I had become the killer I had always warned my children after.

   Again, before the pain could embrace my whole being I decided to run. Run from what I had just done - run from everything that had happened …

   The wind flashed past me, the lights; the buildings; the city; the humans; the pain - I ran until I felt empty; until I left what I knew behind and only then once the memories and the nightmares of what I had done left my body did I stop to look around and exhale.  

   The sun was rising in the east. I wasn’t sure of what this new day would bring or where I would go.   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MAIN CHARACTER �" CH 2

 

   Damien was sitting at the edge of the table delving his fingers into the wood with irritation.

 

“Is jy Fricken mal Rogue?”(Are you crazy Rogue)�" He scolded

“Nie aspris nie“(Not intentionally) �" I cooed back in satisfaction.

“Daar’s nie ‘n manier wat jy by ‘n oue te huis gaan werk nie “(There is no way you are going to work in an old aged home) �" he continued barking.

“Dis nie jou keuse nie“(It’s not your choice) �" I adamantly answered.

 

   I made the decision after leaving the old aged home that evening; I was planning to do the night shift run. I wanted to be part of something bigger. Besides I giggled inwardly �" I’m older than any of the people there even though I might not look it.

 

Damien refused to understand my decision, which was normal since he never understood me. I understood it though and that made it worthwhile.

 

Damien had gotten old, he had little “Damien’s” running around the house. Akira and he had a good and full life up to now. According to me, he had broken the record of living shape shifters a couple of decades ago. This to me was a token of a good life.

 

    

 

He didn’t understand what I missed and longed for these days. I lifted my feet to the table and toppled my chair. Another sign of my ignorance.

 

   I had to grin inwardly at the memory of our meeting. What a life we have shared up to now? It is a friendship of unspoken camaraderie that view people would ever understand.     

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

STORY LINE - CHAPTER 3 �" WHERE TO GO

   My run had brought me to the outskirts of beautiful Pretoria. With the upcoming sun, glinting with its rays over the historical city I saw a familiar structure and decided to spend my time between its cold stone walls. I wondered about history and what we had been taught. Did they know about us, did we even exist in their history? Coming from a fairly Afrikaans heritage, I was sure to think that “Paul Kruger” might be turning in his grave at the mere realization that white “Afrikaans“vampires have taken refuge in his heritage site.

 

   The Voortrekker Monument glistened in the morning shadows on its low hill as the sun wanted to greet yet another day. It was a logical choice for a place of refuge since the museum part would give me some sort of shadow. Still, I was not too sure about how I might look in direct sunlight. I still had to explore my new self in a step-by-step manner. Maybe once I had this covered I could create a book �" Vampires for Dummies.

 

   It was somewhat sad to browse past all the historical facts. It again reminded me of a time where I came here in my human life ... my husband had been so very proud of our heritage. I was merely fascinated with the fact that people had been able to build such structures with limited enforcements. The history - history in general never bothered me that much it was someone else’s life that was lived - someone else’s pain.

I sat on a small bench watching the sun trickle through the hole in the roof, “the hall of the heroes” �" it was called. I recalled that there is one day a year where the sun would shine directly onto the monument underneath. The occurrence had some or other historical meaning - what it was exactly eluded me. My human life seemed to be vague it was as if I was reminded of something that happened a long time ago.

 

There was a group of school kids piling around the monument everyone eager to read the inscription.

   Whilst I was having an age-old debate with myself, the kids moved out to the upper level and I realized that I was still undecided on my next move. I tried to walk around with the idea of not drawing too much attention.

   My next step would definitely need to be researching some sort of path on where to go I realized. The problem I had was that I didn’t know what my ultimate goal was going to be I didn’t have something to keep me going I didn’t have a someone to keep me going.

I caught on fairly soon that I didn’t have any of the normal human things to continue my journey with. I had very little money and only the clothes I was wearing. No car, no pets or family and clearly no friends.

 

Logically, I didn’t need a lot of that but I knew that the only way I was going to blend in convincingly at least was if I was able to act relatively normal.

   Without acknowledging it, I went to the upper floor and walked out into the main lobby again. Weather wise it was overcast which made things a lot easier. Numerous trees surrounded the entire monument. It has big green lawns with small pathways that have benches everywhere.

Every now and then, you would come upon a section of lawn with some or other poem from some or other famous South African writer. Again realizing that our country’s culture was rich and enticing. For the first time in my existence, I had no convincing argument that would deny it.

   The weather and the amount of trees made my cover reasonably comfortable. It was with a relief that I discovered the general temperatures could no longer affect me. While living; I always hated Pretoria’s humidity it reminded me of Durban. There it would rain and you would still want to walk around naked from the heat.

   The strong smell of coffee circled the trees together with the smell of bacon and eggs- a smell that used to enlighten me. I recalled the memory of a small restaurant and gift shop at the bottom of the stairway leading up to the monument and therefore decided to avoid it as food usually attracted masses of humans. I wasn’t planning on testing my blood endurance to breaking point - not yet.

   I moved down the one pathway into the opposite direction of the monument, away from the humans. The path led me to a huge Jacaranda tree that hosted a spectacular view on the rest of Pretoria. It was as if the gods granted my ancestors this - a view on the population they once suffered for.

 

   In a slight shift of reality, my thoughts had become my worst enemy and replaced my fixation in place of the thirst. At that moment, it felt as if the whole of Southern Africa was teaming up against my existence. Every corner I turned, every step I took brought on old memories. Memories I once cherished.

   My thoughts took me back to a wedding we had at this exact same venue a couple of years back, there had been a bunch of horses that ran down the field, before I realized what happened the kids  - all the kids from the wedding started running behind them.

 

Their actions had made me frantic in getting my husband. The kids had been young and I was scared that something might happen and they could land up being trampled.

 

There had been a brief moment though, a pause prior to my frantic state where the whole incident left me speechless, everyone looked so happy … so free.

Annoyed by these memories I shook my head - I had to start forgetting about my past, the pain it caused was to extreme and the fact that I had no tears to shed made it so much more difficult to bear.

   I decided to wait for the familiar yet unfamiliar sunset. The sunset that had become part of my every day existence. It is the same sunset that would now bring new direction into my life. It would reflect on the end of what I was used to and be the beginning of a new life.

   As dawn started crawling up over the familiar hills and the monument of what I once knew, I decided to catch a bus into town. I didn’t really have any sense of direction yet and convinced myself that it would come in time.

 

Unknowingly whilst I was telling myself all these little stories, I got off the bus at “Andries” Street in the midst of Pretoria. The impact of my decision only hit me once I gazed out over the road where the bus used to stand. There was a small pub on the second floor area that had lights flickering in blue “Knights Tavern”. I mumbled the name as I started approaching it.  

   Apparently, it was a common hang out for bikers judging by the fierce amount of motorcycles parked in the alley next to it. The sight was intriguing since I always had a love for adrenaline junkies. The fact that people could have a relationship with a bike always amazed me. It created this perception that you liked living. You got a kick out of the fact that you could push yourself to the very brink, you trusted yourself, your instincts �" your sixth sense.

Having a bike meant that you loved life and all its little unknown pleasures.

I started crossing the street at a slow pace, whilst still staring over the monsters parked in the alley.

   There was a small staircase on the right corner of the building. Some guys where hanging out in the doorway as I brushed past them with the idea of finding a corner and looking content yet busy.

 

Actually, I just needed time to figure out what my next step would be. Where to from here? - I wondered glumly.

   I wasn’t looking forward to facing the darkness on my own as just the faintest reminder of what I left behind made the pain bubble up in my head again.

   As I walked in there was a bunch of people standing around to the left hand side of the door they were playing darts. Further off to the right there was two pool tables separated by a row of cocktail tables.

   Nothing much of interest �" I thought. I looked straight ahead and went to the farthest corner of the bar table a corner where there was no direct light I decided. Luckily, the pub seemed fairly shadowed.

 

The fresh smell of tobacco filled the air it was a mixture of human blood old wood and rubber. The smell was somewhat comforting even though my throat had started burning again from the mere idea of blood - so much blood. I knew what I didn’t want to be though and that decision made me instinctively put the pain aside.

   As the ever continuing battle mould around in my head I noticed a dark figure walk into the bar area - he was dragging something behind him on a chain. People where glaring as he pulled the chain into the doorframe. There were silent yet anxious giggles coming from the group across the room.

   I stretched myself up a bit in an effort to look behind the huge figure of a man. Behind him was a small figure that was pulling back with assumingly all the power he could gather. It was obvious that whatever it was had a very strong pull, something that … it was somewhat odd. I could here almost everyone’s heartbeat in the room I realized and yet there was something abnormally weird coming from this creature. Abnormal, since he was yanking at this chain with every inch of his will.

 

Logically �" to me, one would think that it would increase his heartbeat substantially. I imagined that it was supposed to be thundering in my ears and yet it wasn’t. The only thuds I could hear were those of the public. From him there was merely a light flutter. It was nothing like the THUD, THUD, and THUD - one would expect.

I was no doctor but this sound reminded me of an athlete. One that was extremely fit. I associated it with someone that had been jogging for miles and seemed at ease with their pace. The fluttering thump was faster than the norm, but not thundering as expected.

With all these thoughts mulling around in my mind I decided to take a quick look once everyone was settled. Call it curiosity. I was well aware that curiosity killed the cat and smiled inwardly at my own personal comparison, in this case - hopefully, curiosity won’t kill the “bat”.

   I thudded my fingers on the bar table for service pacing myself in an effort not to strut them too hard. Overcompensation might just lead into me chipping away at the bar counter. Mercifully the bar tender came up in his effort to assist.

 

“Iet’s te drinke?” (Would you like something to drink)He bellowed in a husky voice. I hesitated. This was my first real contact with a human and I was a bit stunned.  

 

   The moment he turned and approached me I had this sudden sense come over me it was as if all my senses zoomed in on his throbbing throat.

 

I noticed a small vain under his adams apple it was pulsing up and down like the minute indicator on my grandfather’s old clock. I swallowed some unwanted, bitter saliva back and forced myself to look into his eyes - straining myself to look at the obvious and no further. I didn’t want to know anything about him I painfully convinced myself.

Umm yes, vodka on the rocks and a packet of cigarette’s please, menthol any brand”-I rumbled down my first sentence in English.

   I was hoping that the taste might dampen the almost intoxicating smell of humans, while I was yet again trying to win an inner battle. I tried to focus solely on the dog.

                 

   My senses stretched out towards the creature that was now pressing himself into the farthest corner of the room. He was standing up right with his head hanging down. Hanging, as if he had lost part of a huge internal battle I told myself.  

   The dog was big - bigger than a normal dog he was lean yet exceptionally and surprisingly toned. He had muscle in all the right places (Well, at least that’s what I thought). He’s short fur had a bluish-grayish tone to it which was complimented with white soft fur stretching up underneath his chin from in between his two exceptionally muscular front legs.  

   He looked up at me in an effort to cry, “HELP”. This action, whilst seemingly normal to every human out there made me stare in shock. He had the bluest clearest eyes I had ever laid my eyes on. The sparkle reminded me of bright, shiny star or even the bluest waters of a tropical ocean. I turned my head in an effort to stray away from the penetrating gaze.

 

   I didn’t want to know anything about anyone I argued with myself. I promised myself that I wasn’t going to let my senses leap into overdrive. But, staring into those eyes was unjustly overwhelming. My conscious mind started slipping into that place  - the unfamiliar unconscious place. My foot slid of the chair as I tried to keep my seemingly civilized composure. I didn’t want people to notice something weird.

   As I straightened, my back the bar tender leaned over and gave me the stuff I ordered.

 

I reached over with relief and hurriedly whispered-“Can I have a light please?”

 

My fingers opened the cigarette box without any hesitation. In fact I might have reacted a tad bit too fast since the bar tender was staring at me in bewilderment.

”Please” I said again slowly �" shyly.

I took a drag of the cigarette in a hopeless effort to cover the intoxicating smell with something other than dog and human flesh. The slightest idea of flesh explicitly reminded me of human blood �" hearts pounding.

   It took another second before I repositioned myself and refocused my gaze onto the dog again. He didn’t fully smell like dog which to me meant that I needed to investigate my subject a bit closer. As I re - positioned myself again, I noticed that he had turned his body towards me and was now looking at me with what seemed like eagerness.

   I decided to explore whatever it was that had dawned on me the first time. I looked at him with more focus. I pushed my elbows into the bar table and wedged my back into the corner of the room in an effort to secure my composure. I wanted to insure that if I did fall over the incident would be regarded as something human, something obvious.

   I left the cigarette resting in the ashtray in front of me. I positioned it in such a way for the smoke to fill my nostrils. The fumes dampened the rest of the air around me and made it easier to focus on the task ahead.

I smiled and gazed towards the animal in an effort to catch his gaze. I moved my head slowly until I started directly into his eyes. I felt strangely satisfied when I realized that he was returning my gaze.  

   My mind started filling with a sort of haziness a fog. I swung my arms in an effort to get a clear view of my surroundings. Startled I realized that I was in the middle of a square stage. There was the smell of battle in the air. Blood and sweat mixed with something else. There were people yelling at me in what seemed to be my confusion, my nightmare. They were saying things like “go boy; yes big boy, yank his leg off; bite his stifle”. And in other languages �" “vat hom ; bo die been; om die boud; op die nek; Bite yake, juu ya shingo; nyuma ya kichwa!“

 

I had this uncontrollable anger throbbing within my veins. It was an intense anger mixed with an equal intense sense of anticipation.

 

Was it due to adrenaline I wondered? I have read that adrenaline makes one do the unexpected, in some cases even the unexplained. I gasped inwardly as my body took on its own actions and I was jerking a leg in between my teeth. I gritted down into furry flesh and shook the bone with an uncontrollable effort. There was screaming in the background that made me take a step back in order to refocus. I suddenly realized that I was stuck in someone’s own personal hell…

  

With that in mind, I pulled myself up again out of the fog. I urged my mind away and tore at the haziness that led me into this pit. My effort dragged me back to reality where I could once again start focusing on my actual surroundings. As I softly gasped for air, I realized that my skin felt cold yet damp. It was as if I had been jogging on a humid yet cold morning.

 

I definitely need to get “this thing” I could do under my belt and master it as soon as possible, I thought wearily. In an effort to calm down, I took another couple of drags on my almost burnt out cigarette. I tried to plan my next move…

   Without realizing it, I had stood up and walked over to the huge man who reeked of beer and sweat. I noticed some kind of half-finished snake tattoo covering his left forearm.

   I swung my hair back over my shoulder and looked straight at him. “Wat kyk jy?“(What are you looking at?) He asked stupefied at my approach. I grinned back at him and started giggling softly.

”oor jy blykbaar dink jy is “special”(Well, apparently - you think you are special!) I replied with the effort of looking intoxicated. I love talking to a******s I grumbled inwardly realizing what I had done.

   He looked at me a bit flabbergasted. I could see it was at the fact that I just assembled the guts and uttered the words. No one had ever approached him in such a manner. He was clearly trying to make sense of the action.

 

Whilst still mulling the occasion over in his head he tried to buy some time by talking.

“Dink jy nie jy’s bietjie klein om vir iemand soos ek te vertel waste idiot jy dink hy is nie? “ Don’t you think you are a bit tiny to tell me what an a*****e you assume I am?)- He groggled confused.

   I stared up into his eyes the fog wanting to overwhelm my senses. I paced myself and pushed on focusing on my main aim.

When it had exactly become my aim was a mystery to me.

   I realized that even if I didn’t want to proceed, it was somewhat too late to take the words back. As usual, my mouth had opened and before I could contain my thoughts, the wrong words had been uttered. Reality hit as I continued my quest, there was no turning back.

        With that realization coming to mind, I nodded and grinned reflecting my perfectly carved dimples.  

“Nee” (No), I said.

“Ek dink ek is presies die regte persoon om jou te wys wat jy benodig. Die regte size om jou dalk net te kan wys watter buffel jy is” (I think I am exactly the size of person you need. The perfect size that might just be able to teach you what type of person you are)  

  

He started laughing.

“Try jy my uitdaag?” (Are you actually encouraging a fight?)” he asked.

”Nee” (No) was my reply. “Ek baklei nie met mans wat persoonlike dilemma’s het nie” (I don’t fight boys with personal hang up’s.)

  

   I stopped but then continued

Ek is “however” gewillig om jou uit te daag tot ‘n arm wostel”(I am however willing to encourage you to an arm wrestle).

”En die prys?” And the prize?) He smiled back in question.

”Jou hond” (Your dog) - I grinned back.

Die mutt” The Mutt) he said.

”Jip” Yes), I replied “The mutt”.

”Wat kry ek uit dit uit?” What do I gain out of it?) He asked.

I looked at him disgusted at his intent.

Sure”, I said, “a little roll in the haystack, if you can handle it…”

   I was very sure that he would never lay a hand on me. The mere thought of him touching me was enough to send extreme shivers down my spine. The action grossed me out in every way know to woman.

Deal a*****e”, I muttered under my breath in question.

“You’re on” was his reply. He was looking at me as if I was something chewable.

Let’s get down to it then” I smiled back at him.

I pushed the chair out from under the table and let my arm sag onto the tabletop.

 

“Let’s he said.

 

I shifted my weight over my entire body in order to insure my frame to the table. The mutt strode over to my side in a silent gesture of support. I could hear his shallow growls that rumbled within the pits of his throat. It was as if he was encouraging me to run.

 

 

 

 

Instead, I looked up at the man with the huge ego and smiled. He bent down and slumped his bulky arm onto the table.

Best out of one” I said. “No turning back and no second chances”.

He looked at me and laughed.

“Really” he replied. “Like I would need a second chance”.

My mouth twitched into a sideline smirk.

   The chain for the dog was wrapped around the cross bar at the end of the bar, it was close to the door. I knew that it would be effortless to break it. I had to react fast after my winnings.

One; two three �" go!” - A guy bolstered next to the table. Only now did I realize that there was a small crowd forming around our table.

 

My actions were surprising even to me and I was the one in control of them. My movement came without much effort or strain. I just stood still and held my position. I smirked at the effort he was putting in. It was immensely strained, that was obvious as there was little sweat blotches forming on his forehead, they where trickling down his check in paths that led down to his chin. If I concentrated very hard, I could almost hear them dripping onto the table, down the chair.

   I realized that I was growing bored with the whole display and decided to end his embarrassment with a big display.

I pulled my strength together and smashed his hand down onto the table. The explosion created silence throughout the bar and then slowly all hell broke loose.

The table cracked under my hands sudden pressure, it caused splinters to fly up into the air in little dust patterns. The whole situation took it’s time and I had this weird illusion of time standing still.  

Finally, I refocused my gaze I jumped up in a flash and yanked the chain that bound the dog out from underneath the chair. I pulled at it with both hands in an effort to let it break. The chain snapped into 3 pieces and plummeted to the ground.

 

“Go!” �" I whispered in urgency.

“Run now! I will meet you somewhere”. He looked up at me in question with his tail wagging in anticipation. He’s tung was lolling around his muscular jaw in anticipation.  

”The library on Proes street” - I answered his silent stare.  

“Meet me there in twenty”.

With that, he bolted for the door and I swung around to look at whatever consternation I had caused.

     The man took a step back and yanked his head up in pain. A splinter from the table was stuck on the back of his hand as he lifted it to his face. Shocked at what had happened people looked at me and then back at him.

   Fury was radiating from his face. He grabbed my wrist and pushed me into the wall. I wisped myself around to face him in an instant and leaped into action. I jumped upwards onto his chest and pulled down on his beard with both hands.

   I despise animal cruelty; you should really learn to respect nature and all God’s creations” I whispered in his ear with disgust.

   S**t, I am making a public display of myself I realized. With that in mind, I swung back down onto my feet and kicked his out from under him. He fell onto the floor with his head crashing down onto the chair with a big thump.  

How … how did, you do that …” - a guy stuttered from behind the table.

With a rush of adrenaline,” - was my short and abrupt answer.

I smiled, turned around - grabbed my cigarette stash and bolted for the door.

   As I trotted down the stairs, I could here people slowly starting to talk about what they just witnessed. This public display might cost me dearly I realized.

 

        For now though, I didn’t care. Curiosity had overcome me once again and I was already on my next expedition locating the mutt.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

STORY LINE - CHAPTER 4 �" FRIENDS

   The adrenaline from almost releasing all my savageness onto a bar was still pumping in my bloodless veins.

 

As I approached, the main road I noticed a bunch of humans standing on the street corner. It was a group of bikers on their way up to the pub.

Hi”, I said to one of the men closest to me.

   He stood staring for a couple of seconds and then decided to continue his conversation with his mates.

Hi”, I said a bit louder thinking that I might have not uttered the words loud enough. This time the whole group turned to face me.

So tell me a bit more about these two bikes,” I pointed a finger towards the last two bikes in the queue.

”This one” and he pointed to a black bike “is a Yamaha YZF-R1 it is the newest model of the Yamaha. It is a beauty in terms of appearance but when it comes to performance, I have to mention that the 2001 model was much better. Its maximum speed is estimated at 177 miles per hour”. I grinned back at him - I liked it.

And this one?” �" I fluttered my eyes in reply. He stared at me clearly wondering whether I was a creature from another world.

”Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14” he replied.

And…? I glared at him in frustration.

 

   He stuttered �" “This bike was introduced in 2006 received a worldwide remarkable response. It tried to compete with the Suzuki Hayabusa and recorded over 180 miles per hour. The engine is liquid-cooled, every cylinder has four valves and other features like 1352 cc four-stroke, DOHC deserve mention as well”.

You sound like a bike manual” I replied.

I smirked at the bike. Admittedly, I liked this one more.

Can I go for a ride on it”? �" I asked.

Can you drive”? �" He asked.

No, but I can fly. “ I replied laughing at my own private joke.

Fortunately, for you, it belongs to me so sure” he smiled back at me.

Great lets go then” I said. I leaped onto the back of it and waited in anticipation.

   He put the keys into the ignition, just as he turned it and starting proceeding to climb on a big figure came stomping around the corner of the bar. It was the man I just sloshed in the bar, “You stole my mutt,” he screamed as he stumbled towards the small crowed.

        The guy looked around at me and froze, “I’m sorry” I whispered.

I don’t favor stealing people’s belongings but this situation leaves me no choice. I merely defended animal rights and my own virtue. I should have killed him but I had my dignity to protect”.

   With that, I turned the key in the ignition, glanced back over my shoulder and lifted the bike up as I sped down the street towards the library.

   The drive was exhilarating. I had to gear down - with my new senses in tack, it made the whole adrenaline experience twice as good. I flipped through traffic with ease.

   I left behind a bunch of men wrestling with the huge man that slumped out the bar and bellowed cursing words towards me, that together with a frozen pillar of a man now staring at an empty space of what used to be his bike.

   I pulled in at the front entrance of the library not worrying about parking bays and so on. Another day had come and gone and it was dark again. I trodded up the stairs wondering whether I would find the Mutt. Then again, I wondered whether I actually really wanted to find him. There was something really “intoxifying” about him. Something un- explained.

 

Meeting people would only make my life more complicated - I argued the matter. The mutt was like a mutt but not quite … he was part something else. Maybe he understood what I said and was now waiting in the location I so quickly thought up.

   The Pretoria Library had been established in the 1887’s. This part of town was hard and harsh with no frills. It is therefore an aggressive and starkly modern but elegant structure with hard wearing external finishes of flush red brick, galvanized steel and flush glazing projects a proud but subtle new approach to public buildings in the capital.

 

The facades had been designed to be transparent for the public to view people using books and for views from within to the outside for users to participate in the city. Large signage panels present the library to the public and the National Coat of Arms and Flag is proudly displayed.

 

Three pedestrian ramps lead the public to an elevated square and the front doors. The open square provides welcome relief in the harsh environment with an angled concrete corner ramp becoming a sculpture and exciting access way. Steel canopies and sun grilles provide protection from the rain and sun but also cast subtle shadows on the brick and glazed facades.

   Upon entering, the foyer one is welcomed in a triple volume space with a floating and circular steel / wood stair, natural light from roof lights, large reception counter, various works of art mostly suspended from above and a coffee shop. The foyer is finished with a granite floor and ceilings in a combination of hardwood and acoustic panels �" elegant but not formal.

 

The reading rooms are more colorful with a bright red carpet and hardwood slated ceilings and wall panels. Three large wall mounted artworks grace the large volumes �" Eleven Languages, Facebook and the Alphabet Mural. The reading rooms can accommodate up to a thousand five hundred users.

   The Library is all about accessing information and the planning has allowed for a free flow of information, either in hard copy or electronic. Central to the design is the vertical movement lobby with lifts, conveyor, stair and building services. From here, all circulation routes spread out to the relevant destination inside the building.

   I stood there for a moment trying to decide what my next move would be. There was a man standing at the end of the passage looking at me, he was somewhat scruffy - hair towards all directions, muscular. Very lengthy; pale and then I recognized the eyes.

   I gulped back a gulp of air as the familiar smell engulfed me. I wanted to grab a cigarette to dampen the smell but the door had a huge sign that said �" NO SMOKING.

O’ well, I decided, best I get this over with and I strode off towards him.

Hi “I whispered as I got to him, I pulled my hand through my hair. “How are you doing”?

“Interesting that you would ask” he replied.

Have you looked at yourself”?

“No” … I replied a bit confused.   

Should I?” He grinned back at me.

Hi my name is Rogue” I muttered, “so nice to meet you in human form”.

He stared at me for a bit and then slowly replied, “My name is Damien”.

” Damien,” I replied “what have you been up to today”? It was my feeble attempt at making conversation.

   I didn’t want to look deep into his eyes since the now familiar fog snickered at the edges of my mind, welcoming me into the unknown. Logically, I would learn more from it once I grabbed the courage to explore it. For now though, it was safer if he just told me.

Besides, it was rude to intervene in people’s privacy, their minds should be theirs and so should their memories.

I could see his future though if I wanted to, but I believed that it wasn’t mine to see unless necessary, unless he wanted me to.

Damien”, I mauled the name over in my mouth. “Mmm” he replied. “O’ nothing” �" I answered back.

So why the library”, he asks.

It’s kind of embarrassing,” I whispered back.

I don’t know what my next step is. You see I am somewhat new to this, world of yours”.

World of mine” - he replied. “Yes, what are you exactly” - I frowned. “You are not a human”.

And u are?” He replied.

Well, more than u apparently” I said.

“Well, I am sorry”.

Sorry for what”?

”Sorry for not being able to turn into a bat”.

”O that. How come you can change into a dog”?

”I shape shift” he replied.

”Really”? I said.

No I am a wizard” he snickered.

Funny” I growled.

So what are you?” he asked.

Partially dead” I replied with sadness in my voice.

So why are we meeting in the library?” he repeated his previous question?

I need to do research”.

“On what”?

I don’t know … on why you can turn into a dog? On what I am doing here? On who I am”.

“On where I am going ….”

And you think you are going to get satisfying answers” he replied.

No”, I sighed “but at least I would know more than I do now”.

Where do we start I wondered as I gazed down the lengthy isles of books.

 

“You know, I eat animals”.

“Well, I am not an animal” he replied.

“But I might eat you when I get really hungry”.

“No, you won’t …”

”And you know that how”?

”I don’t have blood in my veins, not normal blood any way”.

“So is becoming a dog that exciting? Do you howl at the moon and urinate against trees”” �" I whispered.

Do you kill innocent people?” �" He growled back at me sarcastically.

No, I would never …”.I stuttered.

“I would never relinquish such pain onto anyone,” I whispered with sadness … “not intentionally”.

   I decided to change the subject. “So why had you been chained and gagged to that man?”.

Why did you save me?” �" he replied.

Is this how it is going to be?” I whispered back in irritation.

Do you always ask so many questions”?

You know Dog �" Mutt- I could kill you in a breath. You could just say thanks and get it over with”.

Thanks for what, for saving me out of an outcome. I would have died. I would have been happy to finally know my end”.

“Instead, you have bound me to a new life, a life I didn’t ask for. Like a dog to his owner, I need to be loyal to a life I didn’t ask for, and to make matters worse I owe this to you, a bat” - he growled.

   I hissed �" “If you didn’t want to live why did you fight the chains. Why did you have hope in you once you saw that I knew”?

I think you wanted to live more than you would like to admit” �" I replied.

You know”, I whispered back at him in an even tone again �" “we have something in common”.

   He snickered; “a dog and a vampire have things in common. This must be my lucky day”.

Well, we are both here; neither of us knows what we are doing here nor do we know where we are going, at least we have a whole lot of time to figure it out, and if you like, at least we won’t have to do it alone” �" I whispered with sadness.

I have been alone for a while he whispered back, not being alone seems like a good decision for now”.

”Well”, - I smiled. “We should get you out of those rags. I doubt they would let us sit around here looking like this. Did you wrestle a homeless person”?

Do you like picking on guys’ way above your size?” he muttered.

   I ignored him and carried on where my question ended. “We should go and explore some food options and then come back for research when they are open.

“So what do you eat? Dog biscuits” I grinned.

Funny” he replied, “a vampire with a sense of humor”.

“Have you got cash on you”?

“Sure” he replied “let’s just grab my wallet out my back pocket” he said sarcastically.

O great a mutt with a sense of humor” I said with little embarrassment, I realized that he had nowhere to put it.

That does make things difficult” - I answered.

No”, he said, “I have contacts and places”.

“How else do you think I survived this long” �" he asked.

Who knows” I said “maybe they gave you steak for each fight you won”.

And you think I liked fighting”?

”I could feel your anticipation in the ring you know” - was my reply.

So you can see things?” he answered.

“Things yes, I don’t know how to control it yet”.” It’s kind of irritating, every time I meet someone’s gaze mist fills my mind and I kind of loose touch with my current surroundings”.

”It’s annoying because I don’t like feeling out of control, I see things through the layer of mist and I start to feel things to”.

”Like your willingness to tear your opponent apart” �" I choked.

You know, those aren’t normal dogfights” �" he replied.

I know, - normal dogs fights occur on street corners and not in a ring with spectators”.

He shrugged; “we all have our ways” he stuttered.

“I guess” was my reply.

I have transport,” I suddenly remembered.

“Yes”, I answered embarrassed. “Your “owner” unfortunately didn’t remain under and I had no choice but to console myself with Grand Theft Auto” - I grinned.

“Do you have objections”? I asked lifting my brow.

“Not today” was his reply.

“Okay then let us go get food for the dog” - he laughed.

“What, did you vanquish an elephant?”

I shuddered suddenly remembering the tiger, “no”, I blubbered.

“I rather drowned a tiger” I stuttered.

It’s been a while though, I think it might be time to suck on something too, wouldn’t want to get an appetite for dog” I smiled.

“Okay lead the way”.

 

We staggered down the stairs towards my transport. He started smiling,

“A vamp that has a sense of humor she happens to be against animal cruelty and loves bikes �" this day really is getting better”.

What”? I asked sarcastically. “Did you think I was driving a mini”?

”Sensitive subject - hey?” �" was his reply.

If you are nice I will let you drive,” I said.

“If you want us to be friends I am sure you wouldn’t mind me driving” he gritted.

“We’ll I don’t really need wheels so blackmail won’t work”.

I looked at the bike again, she was a beauty.

“I guess I can’t keep her” I smiled mournfully.

“Why not”? he asked.

“Well I did steal it and I am sure they will be looking for it”.

He smiled; “I guess I can make good on some payment then for saving my life”.

He got on and I jumped on the back clenching his half a shirt.

“Grosse” I muttered.

He looked back and smirked “what”.

“You kinda smell like wet dog”.

He laughed, “Well you smell like death”.

S**t, I realized that I had been round and about for a while without having even glanced at myself. I am sure that I am starting to look like a bum myself.

”Okay, point taken” - I nodded “food and then clean clothes”.

”Your wish is my command,” he stated with that he started her engine and we sped off down the road.

   For a moment, I wondered what the hell I was getting myself into but then the wind gushed past my ears, my senses took over and I just enjoyed the drive.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MAIN CHARACTER �" CH 3

 

Mr. Johnson you have to go to bed now I whispered at the old man sitting in his wheelchair in the open TV room. Mr. Johnson was 93 �" a whole 12 years younger than me. He’s bones are brittle and his cardiovascular system is on its way out the door thanks to lung cancer. Wherever he went, he had to drag a bottle of oxygen. Tonight was one of those evenings where I was left wondering at how it must feel to know that the end was coming.

 

How could it possibly feel to want to do things, but be constraint by your body? Mr. Johnson is one of the reasons I decided to start working at an old aged home. He still had so much “LIFE” left in him.

 

Sometimes the thought crossed my mind �" the option to save someone. The idea of giving them a second chance, but then I realized what I would be doing to them. They would be left - like me, with nothing but memories and no one to share it with. 

 

It’s better to know one will have an end no matter how hard it might be. Sure, it’s sad, hard on the ones that remain behind but once you have lost as much as I have you know it’s the way it should be. It is the way LIFE is meant to be.

 

I slowly pulled Mr. Johnson up in his chair and rolled him down the passage to his room. I liked having him around.

 

Sadly, I couldn’t say the same for the ladies around here. A whole group made it clear that they didn’t want me near them. I wasn’t that fazed with their ethics. I understood the human brain better than they ever would. I knew that their senses warned them to stay away from me. They would never be able to pinpoint why they hated my guts, but hate it they would.

 

Majority of the group had gone to bed except for Mr. Johnson. He always had to try a little harder for some or other reason. Very competitive old bag I smiled. He complained about everything these days. The food and tea - the light in his eyes. The fact that we had to accompany him when he wanted to go to the loo. He got all hot around the color when we tried to assist him in getting him dressed or bathed.

 

Tonight was no different, he fell asleep in front of the TV and woke up as I pushed him down the passage.

“Where are you taking me girl?” �" He mumbled underneath his breath.

“To bed for a nice rest” was my polite reply.

“I was still watching …”

“Watching what”? I interrupted his sentence.

“You were sleeping and even the wolves in the Far East would confirm that by your loud snoring “�" I giggled in reply.  

 

He snorted in an effort to try to convince me otherwise but gave up as soon as we entered his room.

“Why are you always so full of energy?” �" He managed to ask as I started lifting him to his bed.

“I guess you can say I am some sort of a night owl” �" I smiled back while puffing up his pillows.

“Would you like some water?” I asked in an effort to finish him off for his nights rest.

“No thanks” he replied whilst sagging back into his pillows.

 

“I would like for you to continue with your story though, the one about the beautiful vampire meeting the handsome dog”

I peeked down the passage to see how the other nurses where doing and slid a pillow onto the hospital chair.

“Now where did we end it last night?” I asked.

“She stole a bike outside the bar and went to meet the Mutt.” �" He whispered in anticipation.

“O, yes “�" I whispered while thinking back. I remember now.

© 2011 Nadine


Author's Note

Nadine
Would like to know what you think of the story.
Please give me tips on where you think I could remove commas.
English is not my first language so I am well aware of the fact that i would need to get it edited before I could get it published.



Reviews

For English not being your first language, I think it was really good. You do a good job prepping the reader and sharing the inner thoughts of the narator. You also do a great job in your descriptions. The concept is very interesting, though I was a little lost when you were able to talk to the dog. Were you going to kill it, or save it? I like the setup. It remind me of the character from inteview with a vampire and its infactuation reminded me of the character in fight club, that swore they weren't lonely and just like to "people watch, but really was a lost soul that saw themselves as an exclusion to society. I think with a few edits, this will be a very interesting story, though I would love to see the vampire inside them transform the character... at least into a "vigilante" type. This story actually inspired me for an idea on the contest "Good vs. Evil." You also have some strong character development skills - keep utilizing them!


The two pieces of critique that I can offer is:
- Take your time with your descriptions. You do them well, but sometimes it looks like you skip vital parts. Overall, you do a good job keeping the reader in tune with your thoughts.
- It is difficult to write in 1st person. Some of your naration sounds like you wrote them the way you would say them verbally. I would challenge you to try to write what you are trying to say without coming out and directly stating it. use your descriptive skill and character development skills to describe draw the reader in and let them feel what you are trying to say in your writing.

Overall, great start! Let's see some more violence and the darkness that comes with being a vampire>:)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

232 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 17, 2011
Last Updated on June 23, 2011
Tags: Teenage Fiction; Writers; Writin
Previous Versions

Author

Nadine
Nadine

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa