On a Rainy Day I Loved You

On a Rainy Day I Loved You

A Chapter by Ray Morris
"

Charlotte's life gets turned around when she meets the person of her dreams and falls head over heels in love, but what happens when that person is a woman. What will her conservative father say?

"

Charlotte stared at the street sign,  squinting to try and see through the pouring rain that currently pummeled the city of New York, New York. Hunts Point Avenue; this could not be good. She had no idea where she was, it was getting dark outside, her purse was on the 6 train headed to God knows where, she was dressed in a white sundress and wedges, and she was getting weird looks from people passing her. Charlotte wanted to scream. She started to walk, glancing at the buildings around her trying to work out things in her head how exactly she was going to get back to her hotel in Manhattan when she had no money, her mobile phone, or her credit cards. She was so lost in her own thoughts, that she didn’t notice she was on a collision course with a person headed towards her with their head down, walking briskly in the opposite direction she was headed. It was only natural that she would run into this person and fall flat on her arse, soaking her once pristine dress even more.

 

“Are you alright?” A decidedly feminine voice asked. Looking up, Charlotte stared into the most brilliant, green eyes she’d ever seen in her twenty-five years of life. Two hands reached out and she took them automatically, feeling herself being pulled up with surprising strength.

 

“Are you alright?” the figure (definitely a woman, Charlotte decided) repeated. As if opening the floodgates of a rather large dam, Charlotte began to sob out her story,

 

“No, I’m not. I left my purse and mobile on the 6 train and am completely stranded from my hotel in Manhattan, and I have no bloody idea where I am and I’m getting strange looks from men and I’m honestly bloody terrified for my life and I don’t even want to be in this stupid city, I want to be home in my nice warm bed with my p***y cat and-and-and. . . my sundress is ruined.”

 

The woman stood there and listened to her blubber for a few more minutes about the horrors of the big apple and how terribly dirty everything was before Charlotte finally cried herself out and stood there sniffling in the rain while the woman pinched the bridge of her nose.

 

Finally, she spoke, “I have an apartment right down the street. You can stay there for the night and then I’ll drive you to your hotel in the morning; it’s too wet out to take my bike out in this weather to get you there tonight.” With that she started to walk in the same direction she had before. Charlotte stood dumbfounded for a moment before hurrying to catch up with her.

 

“I don’t even know your name.”

 

“It’s Esmeralda, but you can call me Esie,” Came the simple reply.

 

“You aren’t secretly a murderer are you?”

 

“You have a better chance staying with me than on the streets, there are all kinds of creeps that lurk around this neighborhood at night, Hunts Point is not the place to be a pretty, white girl alone at night.”

 

With that said they fell into silence, Charlotte thinking of exactly what kind of creeps there would be on the streets in New York City at night. Charlotte started to shiver after a block, she hadn’t thought to bring a jacket with her today. Esie glanced over at her before she stopped and stripped off her leather jacket.

 

“Here, you need it more than I do,” she said, handing Charlotte.

     

“I- thank you..” Charlotte almost protested, but thought better of it. She pulled the jacket on over her water soaked arms, feeling the silky material on the inside stick to the skin on her arms. It was warm and smelled like pine needles and something she couldn’t pick out.



© 2016 Ray Morris


Author's Note

Ray Morris
Once again, grammar may be iffy, it's 2:22 am here. The concept for this story is that Charlotte is the heiress of one of the largest technology companies in the world. Her father is a conservative man who would disinherit Charlotte if he ever found out she was gay. She's in New York for her younger brother's engagement party to a gold digging woman who will do anything to get her hands on her soon-to-be sister-in-law's inheritance. The story starts out with Charlotte getting lost in a bad part of town where she meets Esie, a bull dyke who is a bartender for a nearby strip club. She and Esie have an instant connection. The story comes to a head when the sister-in-law to-be finds out about Charlotte's secret and exposes her. Charlotte's father gives her the choice to come back to the UK and marry a man of his choosing and never see Esie again or lose everything. I won't give away the ending because that would be just mean. Check out the other story concepts if you like this one! Reviews and constructive criticism are life.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats



Author

Ray Morris
Ray Morris

Richmond, VA



About
Queer artist and writer struggling to make ends meet and actually complete a piece. more..

Writing
Heaven's Light Heaven's Light

A Chapter by Ray Morris