The undeliverable letter�

The undeliverable letter�

A Story by Natalie C
"

Thoughts, just thoughts ....

"

 

 

Another day, another heart breaking argument. She aimlessly ran to her car, with the now, fading screams following her as she slammed the door behind her. Spinning away, desperately trying to out run everything that hurts. This life, her life, as she has come to know it, is now becoming too much for her. Years ago, she made peace with the fact that this isn’t going to get any better. Unwillingly accepted her fate, after all this was her choice to begin with.

Yet today on this darkened night, she has had enough. Driving faster and faster, almost losing control a couple of times. Her tears burning like acid, clouding her vision behind this tinted windows. Her mind is running wild. She is trying to find a solution. Some answer that would suit everyone else, except her!

Deeper and deeper into the darkened night she went, until she found a place where she knew nobody would find her any time soon. She came to a sudden halt.
‘Yes, this will do’, she sadly thought.
On top of a deserted hill on the outskirts of the city, she got out, took a deep breath, taking it all in as if it was her very last one. The sweetness of crisp winter’s air filling her lungs and for a brief moment, she felt free. The wind playfully blew through her frail blonde hair and her emerald eyes, now blood shot from all the crying. She looked up. The evening sky was clear and she could see all the millions of stars, shining down on her.

She smiled, tasting the saltiness of her uncontrollable tears.
‘Star bright’, she thought.
‘First star I see tonight, you are most probably the only one that understands this fight’ For a love that has gone, does not hurt nearly as much as a love that will never be. A long time ago, I made peace with the fact that I am going to be stuck in this loveless relationship but now unexpectedly, I want more!

She turned around, got back into the safe confinements of her car. Everything is so quiet, she feared. This silence brings back the reality of what she was planning to do. She broke the silence by quickly switching on the radio, searching through her cd’s for an appropriate song. One that would suit her mental state right now.
‘Ah, this will do’, she thought as she put it in while turning up the volume.
The deathly chants filled the car. She sat back, closed her eyes, trying to take it all in one last time.

Then with shaking hands started searching through her cubbyhole.
‘Good it is still here’, she sighed relieved.
She took out her old trusted friend, just staring at it. It still had some old dried blood on it from the last meeting.
‘How have you been old friend, I hope you didn’t miss me too much!’
She laughed whilst turning her wrist, preparing for her first cut.
‘My dear friend this will most probably be our last meeting because tonight, everything is going to end!’

Suddenly it hit her; there was still things that can’t be left unsaid. It would be selfish not to at least try to explain it. Again she rambled thought her stuff, finding a piece of paper and a pen. She just stared at the blank page, who was now staring back at her.
‘How can I do it? How can I write a letter to a person who will never receive it? God d****t! I will just have to hope that maybe one day he does.’
Picking up the pen once again, she started

My dearest…


‘Umm’, she’s stuck.
There is so much that she wants him to know but how do I explain everything? How can I possibly justify what I am going to do right now and in the same time tell him how I feel about him?
‘No I have too’, she decided on long last.


I wish that I could surrender my soul. Shed my pain like the clothes I wear but I cannot. I don’t know what is real anymore. This life of mine is driving me insane and I do not know what to do. The difficulty of this whole situation, killing me! I want nothing more in life than to be with you. Nothing... I love you. I think I have always loved you, even before we met. Our souls connected in such a way that I can’t get you out of my system. Even though there never was anything physical between us, I could feel you, through the electricity that ran between us. Your smile, your eyes, everything about you drives me silently insane. I love you, yes. I will say that a hundred times just to make sure you know and understand it. And a hundred more, too make sure you have enough I love you’s to last you a lifetime.

She stopped writing. Read the letter repeatedly. Trying to find a way to express what she feels more accurately but she couldn’t. All she could think about was his face. She always hoped that his face would one day be the last face she will ever see. Sadly, that dream is over now. I am defeated by my demons.

She took her blade, seeing that she couldn’t think of anything more to say. Besides, he will never receive the letter anyway. Slowly the blade broke through her skin. Sliding through it like a hot knife through butter. The crimson fluid started appearing.
‘More’, she thought.
I need more. Violently she began butchering her arm. One, two three… more and more! Her hands covered with blood.

Again and again, through the tendons and the veins, the blood now spurted form her tired body.
‘One more for old time’s sake’, she thought while she made the last incursion.
The blade fell; she just sat there, staring at her latest piece of work. Then it hit her. She grabbed the letter. Where is the pen? She franticly searching for it. Oh I cant find it, must find it, time it almost up! She could feel her body weaken. Slowly, bit by bit as the blood continues to stream relentlessly from her body.

It is gone. She took her finger, dipped it in the thick fluids and wrote one last word on the letter, that will never be delivered to the person she wrote it for.

SORRY...

The last word she will ever write. Everything was becoming dark in front of her. She knew her time was near. Closing her eyes. Listening to the lyrics of the song playing right now.
‘ Hmm, Cradle of Filth, they always made me feel better, now they will die with me and my last letter’
The lyrics consumed her. She just listened

“Somebody tell me that I'm dreaming.
Its not easy to stop from screaming.
But words escape me when I try to speak
Tears they flow but why am I crying?
After all I'm not afraid of dying
Don't ever believe there never be an end”

Softly, she placed her wrist on the letter.
She has left this world with one last breath…
whilst the blood mixes with her very last words

 

© 2008 Natalie C


Author's Note

Natalie C
Thoughts, just thoughts ....

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

'I love you, yes. I will say that a hundred times just to make sure you know and understand it. And a hundred more, too make sure you have enough I love yous to last you a lifetime' - so sad!

Yes, like Gary says the outcome is predictable from the opening but then it doesn't need to remain a mystery really. In a way I think the predictability of the ending depends on the outlook of the reader - whether they are hoping for some kind of optimistic realisation by the character. The fact that I knew the outcome from the start also makes me think about how much I want to live and not go through this myself as I was willing the character to see the light that I did.



Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Great write! :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

'I love you, yes. I will say that a hundred times just to make sure you know and understand it. And a hundred more, too make sure you have enough I love yous to last you a lifetime' - so sad!

Yes, like Gary says the outcome is predictable from the opening but then it doesn't need to remain a mystery really. In a way I think the predictability of the ending depends on the outlook of the reader - whether they are hoping for some kind of optimistic realisation by the character. The fact that I knew the outcome from the start also makes me think about how much I want to live and not go through this myself as I was willing the character to see the light that I did.



Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

MEotional overload...this piece was astounding as it was dark...hope gone demons do win...but only then. I liked the intracate dtails that you provided whcih makes the story pop into life.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

OK, so I have subjected this to a re-edit that I guess you will read in a couple of days time. The idea works well and for a short story holds the reader from beginning to end - even though the outcome of the character's destiny is obvious from the start. Maybe it's the belief that something will change, whether that is her view or a guardian angel coming out of the skies to save her, that keeps the tension and validity of the story.

As part of a trilogy of recent work you have put on site I see this as moving to a state where hope is deserting you and the darkness draws ever closer. I wait in trepidation.....xx


Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

If these be just ye thoughts, then ye is thinking good thoughts. Aye!
�Lee�

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

516 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 4, 2008

Author

Natalie C
Natalie C

South Africa, South Africa



Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I Run Away I Run Away

A Poem by Rain