Soon Before Long

Soon Before Long

A Poem by Nathan With the Words
"

Freewrite for July 27th, 2016. Criteria: Has to be at least 100 words long, and can't be part of a story

"

Soon Before Long

Maroon 5’s second album is called “It Won’t Be Soon Before Long.” Apparently, it’s a phrase the band says to themselves to get through the challenge of being on the road for so long. Personally, I see it as a motto of how life works. In life, it seems that you always have to wait for anything good. You wait for the hot water to come on in the shower, you wait for your package to arrive in the mail, you wait for the day the rest of your life begins. And of course, people expect you to deal with this. They say “Patience is a virtue” and “Good things come to those who wait.” 

So how come I never have to wait for anything bad? It doesn’t take long for water to turn cold, or the mailman to mix up your order, or for a bone to break. They all happen in an instant, yet anything good takes what feels like forever to occur. How is that fair?

Why can’t soon come before long at least once in life? Can’t, at least one time, something good happen without taking forever to occur? Can’t we skip the life lessons, values learned, and memories obtained just once, so that we can get to the point? And I don’t mean in a Generation Y “If you can’t explain it in 5 seconds I’m not gonna pay attention” get to the point, I mean can’t we just forget all the steps that get you to a destination for once, and just get to the destination?

Alas, that will likely never occur. We’ll continue waiting for hot water, we’ll continue waiting for the package in the mail, we’ll continue waiting for the day the rest of our lives begins. Alas, all we can do is be like Maroon 5, and simply continue to say “It Won’t Be Soon Before Long.”

© 2016 Nathan With the Words


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

It really isn't as bad as all that. Believe me I know. I've had some horrible things happen to me, but I have also had some wonderful things happen to me too. The only criticism I have is that this is not in poetry form. It's a great discussion, but that's what it is, a discussion not a poem. Like them my phrase to say while waiting is, "Won't be long now!"

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 28, 2016
Last Updated on July 28, 2016
Tags: Discussion, Contemplation, Wonder, Waiting, Patience, Poetry, It Won't Be Soon Before Long

Author

Nathan With the Words
Nathan With the Words

Columbus, OH



About
I'm a college student trying to see if being a writer is really the right thing for me, especially since I've spent the last 3 years thinking I want to be a professional musician. Right now I'm fo.. more..

Writing